HST vs. Shuttle shift

/ HST vs. Shuttle shift #51  
I've said this before, maybe in this thread, I've got three tractors with three different transmissions. Each one is perfect on that particular tractor. :)

Exactly. If one transmission was perfect for all applications, that would be the one that every manufacture would make.

/ HST vs. Shuttle shift #52  
Exactly. If one transmission was perfect for all applications, that would be the one that every manufacture would make.

Yep, and I can see how the HST would be much preferred for "pineapple harvest". :D

/ HST vs. Shuttle shift #53  
Yep, and I can see how the HST would be much preferred for "pineapple harvest". :D

That and the strawberry harvest in January. :)

/ HST vs. Shuttle shift #54  
It would be interesting to see an accurate comparison of efficiency with a 50hp HST versus a 50hp gear drive doing the same ground engagement task. I would suspect the fuel useage after a few hours would be much different. Maybe 25% or more?

I don't recall ever seeing such a comparison.

Below is a comparison of 2 similar older higher HP tractors with gear drive vs hydrostatic. Max drawbar pull in #s 986=5938#s @5.69 mph 186=5032#s @5.95 mph

Attachments

• Annotation 2019-12-21 111130.png
    Annotation 2019-12-21 111130.png
    114.4 KB · Views: 102
  • Annotation 2019-12-21 111329.png
    Annotation 2019-12-21 111329.png
    108.6 KB · Views: 98
   / HST vs. Shuttle shift #55  
When I hook a chain to a stump to pull it over, I prefer my hydrostat to any other type of transmission, as I can apply stead, even and ever increasing pressure. No jerking. That is rather "ground engagening". :)

And, when you back up to an attachment and don't get it just right. I can just walk around to the HST pedal and push it down to go forward some,or back up some. I don't have to climb back on the tractor, place it in gear and try to back up to just the correct spot

I wish my CX105 was HST instead of shuttle

/ HST vs. Shuttle shift #56  
Not true. I pull a heavy 24x22x9 2160# disk with my HST.

I don't consider a disc cultivator all that 'ground' engaging. Now a Swedish tine cultivator or moldboard plow, certainly. HST's run inherently hotter as well.

Bottom line is of course whatever blows your dress up. My dress prefers a gear drive.:laughing:

/ HST vs. Shuttle shift #57  
I don't consider a disc cultivator all that 'ground' engaging. Now a Swedish tine cultivator or moldboard plow, certainly. HST's run inherently hotter as well.

Bottom line is of course whatever blows your dress up. My dress prefers a gear drive.:laughing:

The thought of you out there operating your gear driven tractor with you dress on, but blowed up around your waist paints a very disturbing mental picture. :)

/ HST vs. Shuttle shift #58  

Agree 100%, but we say, whatever tilts your kilt... ;)

/ HST vs. Shuttle shift #59  

well, It does engage the ground. You can go pretty deep depending on how much cut you put in it.

It all comes down to what you want. I enjoy my 105 hp shuttle and my MX5100 HST. Wish my 105 was HST

/ HST vs. Shuttle shift #60  
well, It does engage the ground. You can go pretty deep depending on how much cut you put in it.

It all comes down to what you want. I enjoy my 105 hp shuttle and my MX5100 HST. Wish my 105 was HST

Too much parasitic loss with an HST. A hydrauilc shuttle is is almost as good with hardly any parasitic loss.

I very rarely clutch my hydraulic shuttle but then it has no clutch anyway. The shuttle pack is the clutch pack as well.