Yesterday. Would you buy and EV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #531  
I also suggest that the mathematical comparisons should take into account the gas taxes us ICE drivers pay that is used
I can't speak to Canada, but in Ohio, I pay $400 each year in extra taxes for each of my EVs. You're right that I should have included that in my expenses. However, they are my expenses, not yours.

If we get into arguing about subsidies and tax breaks, it'll get interesting, since most folks who operate tractors in the US are farmers who are heavily subsidized through our agriculture department and local property tax breaks for farm ground. I'd suggest we stop here before we wander too far off topic.

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #532  
Only back in the 70s it was global cooling. I remember the headlines well. Another ice age on the way, just because we'd had a few years with cooler than normal temperatures.
[TIC]
The hole in the ozone layer was letting all the heat out...now since they've closed up the hole it's getting warmer...
[/TIC]

Only now the whining AGW zealots have upped the ante and want to blame every exceptional bit of weather on the warming...just ask greta thorninherbutt...!

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #533  
There has to be a more fair way to assess taxes on EVs than just some arbitrary number like $150.
Yes, that's a tough one, because there's no way to put a dye in electricity...

One suggested approach is to monitor the distance traveled by each vehicle via GPS. Completely fair, but a complete invasion of privacy, so I don't like it.

In Ohio, the extra EV registration tax is $400/year, which is imperfect, but at least in the ballpark. (It's fair enough that I pay it without griping.)

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #534  
To get my wife an EV vs her gas vehicle. We would of payed probably $30-40k more in initial purchase price.
Yeah, I can't afford to buy a new one either. Fortunately, the battery warranties transfer, so buying used is low risk. I paid $14K for our first used EV, and $25K for the second. Before that, $5K was the most I'd ever paid for a car, so it was painful. However, we've already made back the $14K for the first one in savings.

I don't expect or want everyone to go out and buy an EV tomorrow, just sharing with all of you that my experience has been good, and suggesting that it's worth doing the math to see if it works for you.

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #535  
I can't speak to Canada, but in Ohio, I pay $400 each year in extra taxes for each of my EVs. You're right that I should have included that in my expenses. However, they are my expenses, not yours.

If we get into arguing about subsidies and tax breaks, it'll get interesting, since most folks who operate tractors in the US are farmers who are heavily subsidized through our agriculture department and local property tax breaks for farm ground. I'd suggest we stop here before we wander too far off topic.
Oh.....now I see...... its off topic if the specific subsidies and lack of taxes paid, help your side of the equation.....

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #536  
Oh.....now I see...... its off topic if the specific subsidies and lack of taxes paid, help your side of the equation.....
But they don't... As I pointed out in the first sentence, I pay a fair share of road taxes. I'm pointing out that if subsidies anger you, a group of primarily agricultural people may not be the best place to go on a rant about it.

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #537  
Thanks, everyone, for the interesting discussion of the technology and operating costs we've had over the last few days

I see that this thread is heading off towards politics and anger (again), so I'm going to wander off to the barn.

I'll leave you with a thought to consider: When I ask a question about New Holland tractors on TBN, I'm hoping to hear from people who have experience owning & operating them. It's fun when others join in the conversation and ask interesting questions, but without actual experience somewhere in the mix, I might as well be on facebook.

Last edited:
   / Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #538  
They could put transponders in all EVs and the manufacturers can send out something like a 1099 every year to EV etc owners...
Cars like Tesla's are already connected to the Internet so no big deal for them to log miles traveled...

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #539  
I love how you immediately assume just " USE ICE VEHICLES FOR LONG DISTANCES) forgetting that new ICE vehicles will be banned, .....and your assuming we all should have two vehicles, (one of each) and considering any long distance driving requires confidence in reliable vehicle, our second vehicle ( the ICE one) will have to be reliably new. But keep assuming while my gas taxes pay for the highway your driving on.

I didn't assume you should buy an EV. I really don't care.
I have 4 cars, only one is EV so I'm not avoiding the gas tax so you might want to virtue signal to someone else.

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV?
Yeah, I can't afford to buy a new one either. Fortunately, the battery warranties transfer, so buying used is low risk. I paid $14K for our first used EV, and $25K for the second. Before that, $5K was the most I'd ever paid for a car, so it was painful. However, we've already made back the $14K for the first one in savings.

I don't expect or want everyone to go out and buy an EV tomorrow, just sharing with all of you that my experience has been good, and suggesting that it's worth doing the math to see if it works for you.

I want one but the price of them keeps me away.

Even if gas was $5 a gallon, we would have around a 10 year break even point atleast

My dad worked at a dealer that had a Nissan leaf. It wasnt but 5 or so years old but the battery had a fault. Nissan wouldn't repair it, only replace it. It went to the junkyard because the battery cost was more than the value of the vehicle in good condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.