Yesterday. Would you buy and EV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #561  
Diesel is pushing $5 here. I try to avoid it. My diesel truck is not used much. I get almost 40 mpg with my gas car.
I drove my diesel truck twice this week because of the heavy rain.

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #563  
reading comprehensiom isnt your strong suit.
Neither is your spelling.

I'm sure you thought that gasoline tax at the pump funded all highway repairs and improvements.

Now I'm going to really think of you as I drive my EV and escape the gasoline tax!

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #565  
In the winter, my EVs lose about 15% vs summer. Some EVs are as bad as 20% so yes, that's an issue. Your assertion of one quarter of normal mileage is obviously incorrect. 80% is the worst case. (EV Range Test Of Various Models Shows Up To 20% Drop In Cold Temps)

So in the winter, it will be $3.86 X 1.2 = $4.63 to go 100 miles.

So let's go ahead & do the math on gas... Assuming you have a very efficient car and you're getting 40MPG, you'll use 2.5 gallons of gas. At the current cost of $3.43/gallon, that's a cost of $8.57.

I can respect this. You're being clear that you're making the decision based on an opinion.

I'm just commenting on this thread when people post stuff that is factually incorrect or they don't bother doing the math. Math doesn't care about our feelings.

But I get it, there's more to life than getting the math right. I heat my house with wood because I enjoy it. If I ever try to claim it's cost effective, I hope somebody calls me out for pretending the facts support me when I'm really just doing what makes me feel good, but I'll still do it.

I went to the link provided. I did not see an reports on the outdoor temps, also there was no indication that they allowed the car to warm up the interior before driving. Not a real world test.

Richard

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #566  
I'm chuckling as I imagine what this board would've looked like in 1910 as the wackos pushing tractors clashed with the horse loyalists.
The difference is that back in 1910, there wasn't a faction clamoring that we had to stop using horses,, and buy a car to save the planet.
They could put transponders in all EVs and the manufacturers can send out something like a 1099 every year to EV etc owners...
Cars like Tesla's are already connected to the Internet so no big deal for them to log miles traveled...
That's been discussed for at least a couple of decades. At one time the talk was of putting a GPS in every vehicle... just like they do in your cell phone.
Every year when you renew your plates, you'll have to fill in a field with the mileage.
We've had to do that for years.

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #567  
The difference is that back in 1910, there wasn't a faction clamoring that we had to stop using horses,, and buy a car to save the planet.

That's been discussed for at least a couple of decades. At one time the talk was of putting a GPS in every vehicle... just like they do in your cell phone.

We've had to do that for years.

Even that far back I think most if not all cars had digital odometers so even without any type of RF connection it would not be difficult to add a small circuit...much more difficult and or expensive for cars with mechanical odometers...

GPS alone can only receive data...some type of transmitter to send that data somewhere else is a different ball of wax... a phone already has that transmitter...

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #568  
Even that far back I think most if not all cars had digital odometers so even without any type of RF connection it would not be difficult to add a small circuit...much more difficult and or expensive for cars with mechanical odometers...

GPS alone can only receive data...some type of transmitter to send that data somewhere else is a different ball of wax... a phone already has that transmitter...
Plan was for GPS to be used for tracking/storing the data, I believe. Mostly, it just seemed like an excuse to track everybody. Instead they added that feature to cell phones. ;)

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #569  
I look forward to a small electric garden tractor. As I get older, quiet operation is more important. The noise just beats me up. Actually, I really like all of my battery operated lawn tools (trimmer, hedge trimmer, blower and saw). So an electric garden tractor to mow and tow with would be very nice, probably quiet and reliable, and really wouldn't need more that about 4 hrs of run time. I think that's much more feasible right now than a car. Wouldn't replace my Kubota, but would be a nice mower.

I'm no fanboy, but I do see electrification as the future. I just see the gobber-ment doing it all wrong. Legislating out ICE vehicles before we have any reliable electric infrastructure is ridiculous. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the federal and state governments shelled out massive amounts of cash to build the interstate system, right? This is what is needed to invest in electrification of the US vehicle fleet. Not banning the current fleet. Did they ban horses and carriages? :)
Hearing protection is pretty cheap compared to battery operated machines.

Status
Not open for further replies.