Trailer question - skid steer

/ Trailer question - skid steer #41  
It's not just the base skid steer you will be hauling, what attachments will you need going along with it ? Room for them and their weight adds up pretty fast.

/ Trailer question - skid steer #42  
Tilt-decks are neat for specific uses, but a deckover, or standard equipment trailer are more versatile IMO. Lighter, cheaper, less to maintain too. I have an 18-foot 10k PJ equipment trailer. I'm actually going to sell it to a friend and buy a 14k trailer this weekend. My skid steer is 8k, so at or just over the limit of my 10k trailer. But I also haul cars, trucks, logs, tractors, scrap, lumber, etc...

I'm still undecided on a deckover or a low-profile equipment trailer. At times, I hate the fenders on my trailers, and I could use the width of a deckover....but also, I don't like the height of a deckover and added weight. A 20' deckover is going to have a 15' flat deck (5' dove), whereas a 20' low-profile will have a 17-18' flat deck and a 2-3' dove...so there's that too.

Bobcat.JPG

thumbnail_IMG_0244.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1170.jpg

/ Trailer question - skid steer #43  
Do you find it difficult to see the tips of your forks at all? I bought a set (42") for my compact tractor, similar is size to yours but find I can't see squat until I get about 2' off the ground. I find myself not using them and always go get my Bobcat if I need forks.

View attachment 834171
@nisaacs ,. I took this picture from the seat with the forks slightly rolled back. The tips are slightly visible. With the forks flat and completely down I can’t see the tips.
A253015D-7850-4D68-ADCE-77F13F56C74A.jpeg

/ Trailer question - skid steer #44  
Tilt-decks are neat for specific uses, but a deckover, or standard equipment trailer are more versatile IMO. Lighter, cheaper, less to maintain too. I have an 18-foot 10k PJ equipment trailer. I'm actually going to sell it to a friend and buy a 14k trailer this weekend. My skid steer is 8k, so at or just over the limit of my 10k trailer. But I also haul cars, trucks, logs, tractors, scrap, lumber, etc...

I'm still undecided on a deckover or a low-profile equipment trailer. At times, I hate the fenders on my trailers, and I could use the width of a deckover....but also, I don't like the height of a deckover and added weight. A 20' deckover is going to have a 15' flat deck (5' dove), whereas a 20' low-profile will have a 17-18' flat deck and a 2-3' dove...so there's that too.

View attachment 835504

View attachment 835505

View attachment 835506
Whatever you do if you go with an equipment trailer get one with the low profile mega ramps, they can be laid all the way down and used for extra deck length or stood up like conventional ramps, personally I went from an equipment trailer to a tilt deck to haul my skidsteer and can't ever see myself going back, I also have a 30' gooseneck deckover but I use the tilt deck 95% of the time as it's just to convienent.

/ Trailer question - skid steer #45  
Whatever you do if you go with an equipment trailer get one with the low profile mega ramps, they can be laid all the way down and used for extra deck length or stood up like conventional ramps, personally I went from an equipment trailer to a tilt deck to haul my skidsteer and can't ever see myself going back, I also have a 30' gooseneck deckover but I use the tilt deck 95% of the time as it's just to convienent.

Mega ramps are nice but one downside is an excavator boom or bushhog tail wheel can stick off the back with the regular ramps. I’d never give up my tilt deck either. The only real downside is it’s harder to stack a bunch of implements on the trailer then drive the skid steer on but you really don’t have the weight capacity do that anyway with a 14k trailer.

/ Trailer question - skid steer #46  
Mega ramps are nice but one downside is an excavator boom or bushhog tail wheel can stick off the back with the regular ramps. I’d never give up my tilt deck either. The only real downside is it’s harder to stack a bunch of implements on the trailer then drive the skid steer on but you really don’t have the weight capacity do that anyway with a 14k trailer.
If the ramps are laid down flat anything can stick off the back if you needed it to, also I will never understand with the small difference in price why anyone who is hauling skidsteers, excavators, etc wouldn't go with the upgraded 8k axles and 17.5 tires when buying new, I would have went with 10k axles if they had offered them on the tilt deck I bought.

/ Trailer question - skid steer #47  

The IronBull trailer I'm looking at has them...but I'm not really sold on them judging by videos and such I've watched. I do like that they fold up to make a flat deck the whole length, and I like that they are wide enough to cover the center section....good for loading a row crop/tricycle tractor and such.
From the one's I've seen, they are shorter in height than the leg on a traditional ramp, so they transfer more weight to the tail of the trailer before they touch ground and take the weight off the rear of the trailer (puts more stress on the trailer (and truck hitch)). I'm afraid they could get bent when loading on uneven ground since they are so wide. I also like how easy a traditional ramp can be removed and used elsewhere...and many have an adjustable leg. They are also longer, which gives a shallower angle when loading.

I don't know....it's not a deal breaker either way. Many tens of thousands of people use both kinds every day and get the job done. I'm sure I can live with them just fine if I go that way.

I have found two really good deals on trailers so far, and both have traditional stand-up ramps...so the mega ramps aren't even in the picture as of now.

/ Trailer question - skid steer #48  
I've got all 22' Diamond C deckover power tilt these days.

Deckover means no fenders & an easier time loading stiff without wheels. It's also got great ground clearance.

Power tilt on a deckover means a rather steep deck angle & impliments dragging near the tail. Power means working about maintaining a battery, pump & hydraulics. Costs more than other options.

My previous trailer was a 16' gravity tilt. Way to short, but otherwise worked well. Low to the ground so trivial to drive on. But fenders & a 4" rim sucked for loading pallets or other stuff over. Low ground clearance, which could drag.

Both work well but have their drawbacks. If I replace the power tilt deckover it likely wouldn't be with a power tilt. Likely a deckover with ramps or a gravity tilt. But replacing is not likely for years & likely to be driven by moving to a gooseneck more than anything.

Everything has drawbacks & compromises, especially depending on the work you do.
20200730_165041-1.jpg

/ Trailer question - skid steer #49  
If the ramps are laid down flat anything can stick off the back if you needed it to, also I will never understand with the small difference in price why anyone who is hauling skidsteers, excavators, etc wouldn't go with the upgraded 8k axles and 17.5 tires when buying new, I would have went with 10k axles if they had offered them on the tilt deck I bought.

You have to have the deck cleared to lay them down flat though. For an excavator boom you can probably swing it off to the side then fold the ramps but for non swinging equipment that’s more of a problem.

/ Trailer question - skid steer #50  
Sounds like the standard stand up ramps might be right up your alley, personally I'm glad I don't have to fight them anymore, good luck on whatever you buy.
The IronBull trailer I'm looking at has them...but I'm not really sold on them judging by videos and such I've watched. I do like that they fold up to make a flat deck the whole length, and I like that they are wide enough to cover the center section....good for loading a row crop/tricycle tractor and such.
From the one's I've seen, they are shorter in height than the leg on a traditional ramp, so they transfer more weight to the tail of the trailer before they touch ground and take the weight off the rear of the trailer (puts more stress on the trailer (and truck hitch)). I'm afraid they could get bent when loading on uneven ground since they are so wide. I also like how easy a traditional ramp can be removed and used elsewhere...and many have an adjustable leg. They are also longer, which gives a shallower angle when loading.

I don't know....it's not a deal breaker either way. Many tens of thousands of people use both kinds every day and get the job done. I'm sure I can live with them just fine if I go that way.

I have found two really good deals on trailers so far, and both have traditional stand-up ramps...so the mega ramps aren't even in the picture as of now.