Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    JD 3320

Hey guys, I'm thinking about purchasing a Ratchet Rake and have been reading a lot of reviews. It seems like an awesome tool. I have some light grading to do but mostly, the tool will be used for brush clearing. I've already had a dozer do the heavy work and thought a Ratchet Rake would be a great addition. My other option would be a landscape rake but I fear that a landscape rake wouldn't be very effective at tearing out light brush. Have you ever used your landscape rake for brush removal? Would the ratchet rake be a better investment?
    Last edited by El Wood; 04-25-2013 at 02:06 PM.

Tractor
    NH T1510 HST

Default Re: Ratchet Rake

Quote Originally Posted by El Wood View Post
    Hey guys, I'm thinking about purchasing a Ratchet Rake and have been reading a lot of reviews. It seems like an awesome tool. I have some light grading to do but mostly, the tool will be used for brush clearing. I've already had a dozer do the heavy work and thought a Ratchet Rake would be a great addition. My other option would be a landscape rake but I fear that a landscape rake wouldn't be very effective at tearing out light brush. Have you ever used your landscape rake for brush removal? Would the ratchet rake be a better investment?
    I too have thought about getting a Ratchet Rake, but I don't have any brush to remove. My main usage would be to help chew-up our road before box-blading it. I do have a landscape rake that I use on the road in the spring, but very seldom use it after that until the leaves fall. IMO, the LR would load-up and not take the abuse that the RR would. So, IMO, the RR would be best suited for removing brush. 'Course that's just my opinion.

Where 'bouts in MI are you?
    .................................................. .................................................. ..............................
    "If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of progress?"

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830, Ford Golden Jubilee, AC B, '39 Sears Economy, Polaris Ranger 400

My friend and I both have them. Work well. My friend loves his for maintaining gravel driveway. I like my for ripping out honey suckle!

Tractor
    Kubota L3940

I, too, have been thinking of a RR, but for coral rock removal from pastures. Anyone have experience with rock removal and an RR? I am also considering a landscape rake (root rake?!) for the smaller coral rock. I was told a "power rake" is really what I need, but I can't find one to rent and am told they are very expensive.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 3038E

I have both RR and LR. The RR is great for brush, vines and saplings. It tears it out easily and allows for piling the trash, etc. I also use it for my gravel driveway, but to touch up small holes and ruts between use of a boxblade. If I need the boxblade to have more gravel to work with, however, I just put the scarifiers down and it works perfectly. Usually I need do nothing.

The RR is also great in pulling out vines in pasture too low for a rotary cutter, and for tearing out sod for a seedbed. It's also great to have the implement in front of you and not, like the LR, behind where you can't watch it closely.

The LR is of little use in brush because it does load up quickly and is hard to empty. Trying to pull brush with it is also taking a risk of bending tines or the rake itself when you hit a bigger sapling or stump. I use the LR several times a year to pull gravel back into my mile long gravel drive. My blade pulls in lots of dirt and trash when I do that. The LR, however, brings only a little bit of trash in and it usually blows away quickly. The LR also pulls out the random larger stone that surfaces in the drive sometimes. And it is good for pulling rocks out of a garden or just soil.

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1526 Hydrostat

I have a RR as well. I like it a lot. It works well for created a seed bed for grass seed as well. I live on rather hilly ground and it wants to wash a lot. I can drag little trenches with the large teeth and seed it and it has worked well. My only advise is to try and to put the ratchets behind the bucket rather than in front like the instructions show. I ruined a ratchet first thing as some brush bent it up and broke the handle. Ratchet rake replaced it free of charge with no questions asked.
    George

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Montana R4944, Ford Jubilee, Ford 621, Ford 841

Ok I mist be stupid or something! I know what a landscape rake but just what is a ratchet rake?
    Montana R4944
    Ford Jubliee, Ford 841, Ford 621 industrial with FEL & BH

Tractor
    01 Kubota B21TLB, 2010 Ferris 52" ZTR, Cub Cadet 1811, Gravely Super8

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Thing View Post
    I, too, have been thinking of a RR, but for coral rock removal from pastures. Anyone have experience with rock removal and an RR? I am also considering a landscape rake (root rake?!) for the smaller coral rock. I was told a "power rake" is really what I need, but I can't find one to rent and am told they are very expensive.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet
    RR and rocks (bigger rocks) aren't good - around here we have ledge and embedded rocks and I got the RR to clean up after stump removal. Trouble was the RR kept skipping over the embedded rocks and losing the load.

So I used the York landscape rake better for this job anyway. Also the RR is something you have to remove to do FEL work so a tooth bar for you may be better.
    Kubota B21TLB, Ferris IS2000, Cub Cadet 1811

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Oliver 1855, Case 1840, Cub 1550

It slips over your bucket cutting edge, 2 ratchet straps and 2 cables hold it on. It has 2 rows of VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV's. One row sticks straight out, and one row points down. This allows you to pull brush out going forward and smooth out going back. They work great on my gravel drive also.

Dave

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    2012 Kioti DK45SE, 1994 JD LX176

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast