Ratchet Rake

/ Ratchet Rake #21  
Hate to bring something new into this, but I was just told what I really need for removing rocks from a paddock area is a Power Rake. I understand they are in a different price class than the RR & LR, but I was wondering if I could find one to rent, if it would be that much more useful. Any info/experience on Power Rakes (now the PR, to make it consistent!!)?

/ Ratchet Rake #22  
Hate to bring something new into this, but I was just told what I really need for removing rocks from a paddock area is a Power Rake. I understand they are in a different price class than the RR & LR, but I was wondering if I could find one to rent, if it would be that much more useful. Any info/experience on Power Rakes (now the PR, to make it consistent!!)?

I think you are talking about a Harley Rake. And yes they are expensive

image-2552918424.jpg

For the money I think I could do about the same think with a box blade or rear blade with a serrated blade on it. It would take time and the moisture content would have to be right. If you did use a Harley rake I would want to rent it and from what I have read they work better on a skid steer.

/ Ratchet Rake #23  
Thanks, Radrock. Good info. If I'd spend that much for a Harley, it won't be a rake! Looks like the combination of a LR AND a RR, would improve my situation a lot. They both have their value for what needs to be done here. Now to pick a LR. I can't find one in my area to rent.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Ratchet Rake #24  
Thanks, Radrock. Good info. If I'd spend that much for a Harley, it won't be a rake! Looks like the combination of a LR AND a RR, would improve my situation a lot. They both have their value for what needs to be done here. Now to pick a LR. I can't find one in my area to rent.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

You welcome and good luck. Ill see if I can't get a picture of how I put the ratchets if I remember

/ Ratchet Rake #25  
Here is that picture how I put the ratchets in the back of my bucket rather than in front.

Attachments

• image-158172062.jpg
    image-158172062.jpg
    458.5 KB · Views: 408
   / Ratchet Rake #26  
Here is that picture how I put the ratchets in the back of my bucket rather than in front.

Good idea radrock, this is how mine fits. I was thinking of adding a 1/2"plate extension, to the side of my bucket and bolting it on.

ForumRunner_20130506_072323.png

/ Ratchet Rake #27  
Good idea radrock, this is how mine fits. I was thinking of adding a 1/2"plate extension, to the side of my bucket and bolting it on.

View attachment 316499

I turned mine around cause I messed up one of the ratchets in the brush. You have a lot wider rake than I do. Mine is actually a little small but I wanted it that way. I have the 52" on a 60" bucket. It is pretty rocky here and I didn't want it to stick out the sides like that. I'm guessing you have the 68" And they only had the 52" at tractor supply at the time. You could bolt yours on pretty easy but then it would take a little longer to put it on and take it off.

By the way, Anyone reading this. When I broke the handle on the ratchet. I called ratchet rake and told them what happened and wanted to get just the rachet and not the kit. They didn't ask any questions an sent me a new ratchet free of charge. I thought that was pretty good of the company.

I do like the way they work in the brush.

/ Ratchet Rake #28  
The bucket is 66" and the RR is 72", it was clearance priced, from $359 down to $150. The next size down was $300, I figured I could cut off the excess, but the added length comes in handy on the skid steer, may be a pain with a tractor? I will be sure to flip my straps next time and try your idea, thanks

Dave

/ Ratchet Rake #29  
I've seen several folks flip the straps. But I've never had any problem with then even in my heaviest brush. My fit is not like either Radrock or Dr Dave. My mounts are about 2 " inside the bucket edge with the RR projecting out about 2 " on each side. I thought about a bolt on using a sleeve over the bolt, but - even with some reinforcement - I'm not sure how much force the bucket edge could take.

/ Ratchet Rake #30  
The bucket is 66" and the RR is 72", it was clearance priced, from $359 down to $150. The next size down was $300, I figured I could cut off the excess, but the added length comes in handy on the skid steer, may be a pain with a tractor? I will be sure to flip my straps next time and try your idea, thanks

Dave

My 72" just arrived... it was around $400 with freight.

Have not had a chance to give it a try on the Deere 110.

My loader bucket is 72" so it should be a good match.

Originally, I was thinking of getting a shorter one for the BX23 and they are out of stock.