Ratchet Rake

/ Ratchet Rake #31  
The bucket is 66" and the RR is 72", it was clearance priced, from $359 down to $150. The next size down was $300, I figured I could cut off the excess, but the added length comes in handy on the skid steer, may be a pain with a tractor? I will be sure to flip my straps next time and try your idea, thanks

Dave

Oh I remember that sale. They discontinued that size at tractor supply. I couldn't find one as I though I could cut it down as well. Yup you picked that up just in time

/ Ratchet Rake #32  
So I picked up a 68" rake today at Tractor Supply. Spent about a hour working on my road to level and fill in pot holes. It works well, but my question is how long the rake will keep its points before it wears out. I kind of wish the larger points were facing down instead of the small ones.

/ Ratchet Rake #33  
So I picked up a 68" rake today at Tractor Supply. Spent about a hour working on my road to level and fill in pot holes. It works well, but my question is how long the rake will keep its points before it wears out. I kind of wish the larger points were facing down instead of the small ones.

Been much of discussion about RR on TBN and I don't recall anyone ever mentioning worn points being a problem. Had my RR for 3-4 years now, use on 900' gravel lane and no signs of wear (except paint) so far. Even if they do become worn it shouldn't be much of a problem to resharpen with a grinder.

/ Ratchet Rake #34  

I think they will last a LONG time! What kind of tractor are you using? I doubt you will ever wear it out. (0:

/ Ratchet Rake #35  
I think they will last a LONG time! What kind of tractor are you using? I doubt you will ever wear it out. (0:

I have a L3700SU. The reason I ask is because I also have a tooth bucket on my Skidsteer and have used that in the past for the grading. I have seen noticeable wear on those. Also have a 72" land plane with ripper shanks and have had significant wear on the shanks as well as the skids on the bottom of the LP.

/ Ratchet Rake #36  
If you could drill and tap the ripper shanks, you could fashion a tooth replacement and the problem goes away or at least slows down.

/ Ratchet Rake #37  
I bought some replacement tips for my rippers a while back. Have not had time to put them on yet. I never thought about drilling them though, thought they needed to be tack welded on.

/ Ratchet Rake #38  
I have a L3700SU. The reason I ask is because I also have a tooth bucket on my Skidsteer and have used that in the past for the grading. I have seen noticeable wear on those. Also have a 72" land plane with ripper shanks and have had significant wear on the shanks as well as the skids on the bottom of the LP.

The teeth on a bucket see much more abuse than the ratchet rake will see. For gravel work you typical float the loader and pull it in reverse. So the only force on the the rachet rake is the weight of the bucket.

Now if you start dragging the thing down a black top road.. Yeah it's gonna wear. But I think your ratchet rake will last for a long time.

/ Ratchet Rake #39  
I've had mine a year now. I've used it on two whole projects. It still works!

I thought for sure it would break by now, what with so many moving parts. :rolleyes:

/ Ratchet Rake #40  
I've had mine a year now. I've used it on two whole projects. It still works! I thought for sure it would break by now, what with so many moving parts. :rolleyes:

Haha! Yeah I've not used mine at all since installing my Piranha tooth bar. But nothing beats the RR for resurfacing gravel drives!