1026R or 2520 having a tough time

/ 1026R or 2520 having a tough time
I do commercial work with a 1026r tlb. When I have big jobs I rent a track loader or mini excavator. I could make the argument that a 3320 is too light for dirt work. Get what you will use most. Buy the features that make your life easier. Don't worry if it's small. You'll have just as much fun with it. For me the extra $4k to upgrade to a worse mower with an old fashioned backhoe that had to be removed to use the mower was a deal breaker.

Btw: all cuts are too light for dirt work but it doesn't stop me! Hahahahaha!

Do you use your 1026r TLB on removing stumps at all? Do you have experience with 2 series or 3 series backhoes? If so how much less capable is the 1 series backhoe?

/ 1026R or 2520 having a tough time #22  
I don't have any experiences with the other hoes.

I can tell you the 17d mini ex isn't a lot stronger than the 260 hoe so I wouldn't imagine the others would be dramatically different. I'm sure they are stronger but not more than twice as much. I have dug stumps up to 16" diameter measured at 2 ft above the ground with the 260. It took me 7 hours and my truck to help pull it out.

Any stumps for shrubs, brush, or trees less than 6" in diameter are easy and can be pulled in minutes. The 1026 is a landscaping machine, not land clearing. That being said, I have used it with a chainsaw and bush hog to clear land in tight spots.

It's like having a mini skid steer. They have their place but don't substitute for the full size machine.

If you aren't in a rush they can do anything. They sure beat beasts of burden!

I didn't notice a big difference in power until I rented the 27d mini ex. That's where excavators start earning their reputation.

/ 1026R or 2520 having a tough time #23  
So Barry,

Have you ordered a tractor yet? If not, don't forget to check out the MAX at Foote tractor (just to add to the confusion some).

/ 1026R or 2520 having a tough time #24  
I do commercial work with a 1026r tlb. When I have big jobs I rent a track loader or mini excavator. I could make the argument that a 3320 is too light for dirt work. Get what you will use most. Buy the features that make your life easier. Don't worry if it's small. You'll have just as much fun with it. For me the extra $4k to upgrade to a worse mower with an old fashioned backhoe that had to be removed to use the mower was a deal breaker.

Btw: all cuts are too light for dirt work but it doesn't stop me! Hahahahaha!

I use the x749 with 3PH and rear pto for landscape work in close quarters and the 110tlb and 4520 where there is enough room. This covers 90% of the work I do, the rest I hire out, as it would be hard to justify buying equipment that isn't needed for everyday work.

I would guess that the new 1026R would be a good choice for the small jobs and mowing a lawn. Dirt moving and other ground engaging jobs will be much better with heavier equipment, depending on the job to do the sky is the limit. Good luck with your business.

So Barry,

Have you ordered a tractor yet? If not, don't forget to check out the MAX at Foote tractor (just to add to the confusion some).

not yet....still waitng and thinking about what I want to do. Im headed up to wolverine in Ann arbor and I think I may rent a BX25 TLB for the day and see how I like the subcompact sized tractor. Unless you know somewhere else around that rents subcompact sized Kubotas or JDs? I will be honest Im not impressed with either Foote tractor store. When I went in there I felt like the guys wouldnt spend anytime to help me....made me a little mad and they werent all that helpful.

/ 1026R or 2520 having a tough time #26  
I bought from a deere dealer further away because I didn't like the salesman at the local shop. Kind of a pita, but I felt llike I owed it to him after he spent so much time with me.

/ 1026R or 2520 having a tough time #27  
So Barry,

Have you been to Boullion sales? They were way nicer to me than D&G, better pricing too. I've only rented from CAT Novi before, so I'm unfamiliar with places that rent residential equipment.

So Barry,

Have you been to Boullion sales? They were way nicer to me than D&G, better pricing too. I've only rented from CAT Novi before, so I'm unfamiliar with places that rent residential equipment.

Yes I spoke with I believe Phil Boullion there. I wish I could say I will buy from D&G as they are 5 minutes from my house but im not 100% sold on the sales guy there either. I have bought both chain saws, weed eater, and leaf blower there also......basically now its not if I get a tractor, its what tractor do I want.....once I get there I will then go to the place that gives the best deal. Im also still not sure if I want a backhoe or not.

/ 1026R or 2520 having a tough time #29  
Id also encourage you to visit the service Dept. The salesman matters much less after the sale, but can be helpful for warranty work. I like my service guys a lot.

/ 1026R or 2520 having a tough time #30  
Barry,
The smaller 1026R should do everything you need to do including running a small 3PH chipper. I say that because the x700 series will do it, recognize once you clean up the place there won't be much left to do but mowing and snow clearing. In your shoes I would go with the 1026R and auto connect deck. If you are mowing you would remove the loader, so disconnecting the lines is a non issue.

About the implements, you can buy most of the stuff on your list for the difference in price between a 1026R and a 2520. Don't see the need for the brushhog for an acre that you are clearing and cleaning up, The auto connect deck will do all the mowing you need to do. Something not mentioned is the fact that you could buy a couple of pto drive lines for your Dad's pto equipment and swap them out easily when using a different tractor. That would be alot more cost effective solution.

With my x749 I do more utility work than mowing so far and have several implements to use with the 3PH. Thhis includes a DR chipper, 5' landscape rake, 4' boxblade, 5' rear blade, 4' landplane grader, 6' pine needle rake, Howard HR4 5' tiller and a one row cultivator. I also have various pull type implements, MC519 collection cart, spin spreaders, drop spreaders, steel carts and a lawn roller. Just saying if a x700 series will work for all of these attachments then a 1026R with the extras such as a fel, mmm and backhoe that are all quick connect should work out great for you. The auto connect features are key here, this and an IMatch makes changing implements out fun by comparison.

The 2520 is a great little tractor too and would be better if you need the extra ground clearance. My only issue with the 2520 is once you clean up the acre you have then all you really need is a riding mower and that sounds like the 1026R will be more than you need.