1026R or 2520 having a tough time

/ 1026R or 2520 having a tough time #31  
Barry,
The smaller 1026R should do everything you need to do including running a small 3PH chipper. I say that because the x700 series will do it, recognize once you clean up the place there won't be much left to do but mowing and snow clearing. In your shoes I would go with the 1026R and auto connect deck. If you are mowing you would remove the loader, so disconnecting the lines is a non issue.

About the implements, you can buy most of the stuff on your list for the difference in price between a 1026R and a 2520. Don't see the need for the brushhog for an acre that you are clearing and cleaning up, The auto connect deck will do all the mowing you need to do. Something not mentioned is the fact that you could buy a couple of pto drive lines for your Dad's pto equipment and swap them out easily when using a different tractor. That would be alot more cost effective solution.

With my x749 I do more utility work than mowing so far and have several implements to use with the 3PH. Thhis includes a DR chipper, 5' landscape rake, 4' boxblade, 5' rear blade, 4' landplane grader, 6' pine needle rake, Howard HR4 5' tiller and a one row cultivator. I also have various pull type implements, MC519 collection cart, spin spreaders, drop spreaders, steel carts and a lawn roller. Just saying if a x700 series will work for all of these attachments then a 1026R with the extras such as a fel, mmm and backhoe that are all quick connect should work out great for you. The auto connect features are key here, this and an IMatch makes changing implements out fun by comparison.

The 2520 is a great little tractor too and would be better if you need the extra ground clearance. My only issue with the 2520 is once you clean up the acre you have then all you really need is a riding mower and that sounds like the 1026R will be more than you need.

Hello,

I'm shopping for a compact tractor, FEL, front snowblower (ï½*~54'') and maybe a mower (depending the size of the tractor). I tried a JD 1026r and it seems to be a great tractor (or a great toy). However, I don't want to regret of not buying a bigger tractor. My concern is about the snow blowing capacity and the use of the FEL for light work. Here, we have a fews big storm in winter (more than 15 inch of snow).

I use frequently a Kubota L2850. It's a nice tractor but the agressive tires with calcium are domageable for the lawn. I like to use the FEL in the snow but I don't like to blow in reverse (it's painful for the neck). And I think that HST is a plus.

I want to know what I can expect from the 1026r and if it's better to go with a 2520 or a orange B2620. I prefer the 1026r to the BX

Regards,

/ 1026R or 2520 having a tough time #32  
Hello,

I'm shopping for a compact tractor, FEL, front snowblower (ï½*~54'') and maybe a mower (depending the size of the tractor). I tried a JD 1026r and it seems to be a great tractor (or a great toy). However, I don't want to regret of not buying a bigger tractor. My concern is about the snow blowing capacity and the use of the FEL for light work. Here, we have a fews big storm in winter (more than 15 inch of snow).

I use frequently a Kubota L2850. It's a nice tractor but the agressive tires with calcium are domageable for the lawn. I like to use the FEL in the snow but I don't like to blow in reverse (it's painful for the neck). And I think that HST is a plus.

I want to know what I can expect from the 1026r and if it's better to go with a 2520 or a orange B2620. I prefer the 1026r to the BX

Regards,

You might consider having two sets of tires and wheels, one turf set for mowing and another set R4 or R1 loaded. This way you can pick a tractor that will fill most of your needs. This would seem to work if in the mowing season you don't have alot of ground engaging and heavy fel jobs. You might also consider wheel weights and chains for winter use as turfs work well this way.

I really prefer to have the mower as light as possible and the tractor with fel heavy, so that doesn't work well in one machine. If you can swing it having a light mower and a heavy tractor/fel combination would be best. Obviously the real issue is the fel requires alot of ballast and rear counterweight if you didn't need the fel then one machine from a garden tractor to a 30 hp machine could deal with a front blower and a rearblade, remove the attachments and you can have a light mowing tractor.

/ 1026R or 2520 having a tough time #33  
What I learned. I have been mowing my lawn with a 2305 with loaded R4 tires and the FEL removed for years. I decided to plant some shrubs this year so I put on the backhoe. What a difference as far as easily tearing up the lawn. Moving around was painful as any sharp turn would tear things up. After reading on here how people mow with much larger machines which must weigh the same as mine with the FEL and Backhoe I have to wonder how. I find the 2305 a compromise I can easily live with. Would I like a larger machine sure but it won't fit into my life.

/ 1026R or 2520 having a tough time #34  
Is than a larger tractor as JD 2320 or Kubota B2620 with turf tires R3 will tear up the lawn? I understand that you can't turn tight like a SCUT, there are more weight but this weight is distributed on larger tires.

/ 1026R or 2520 having a tough time #35  
Is than a larger tractor as JD 2320 or Kubota B2620 with turf tires R3 will tear up the lawn? I understand that you can't turn tight like a SCUT, there are more weight but this weight is distributed on larger tires.

Don't understand your first sentence?
About the tires, assuming you have the right tire size for the tractor the type tread patterm will make more difference than physical size and weight. That is how golf courses can use 5xxx machines they have good turf tires with lots of area or footprint.

Last edited:
   / 1026R or 2520 having a tough time #36  
Sorry, my question was:
Do you think that a larger tractor as JD 2320 or Kubota B2620 with turf tires R3 will tear up the lawn more than a 1026r with filled R4 tires?

/ 1026R or 2520 having a tough time #38  
Sorry, my question was:
Do you think that a larger tractor as JD 2320 or Kubota B2620 with turf tires R3 will tear up the lawn more than a 1026r with filled R4 tires?

How about this.
A 2520 with loaded R4's won't be any different as far as "tearing up" than a 1026R with the same. It's common sense with the conditions you cut in,and how good you are with the steering wheel (turning) and how gentle you are with the gas pedals.:)

Greg

/ 1026R or 2520 having a tough time #39  
Since the 1026R weighs 400lbs less than the 2520 you will cut up the land a bit less. I've actually used both to mow the same land and the 2520 definitely left a noticeable amount more tread in the lawn. It's not a deal breaker and you can surely mow more carefully to compensate, but there is a difference.

(a pointed out later I should clarify: both had R4s and same-ish pressure. And it really wasn't a deal-breaker, just an improvement)

Last edited:
   / 1026R or 2520 having a tough time #40  
Sorry, my question was:

I don't think so, I was trying to check the Deere site to determine what options you have for the 2320 turf tires but was unable to log on to the Build your own page.

I have the 26 12 12 hdap tires on my x749 and these are very good for lawn and traction work.