2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas

/ 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas #151  
Sorry I haven't combed through the entire thread. Had a MaxJax two post in my old shop because of limited ceiling height. I was in my 40's then so I didn't like positioning the arms, but no problem. Getting out of the doors in a two-door (Cuda) was an acrobatic chore. Those little lifts are fine if you use a rolling seat, we've pulled engines and replaced 4 speeds with no problem.

If you have the resources, I'd suggest a 4 post with rolling hydraulic jacks. I have an Atlas 409 four-post which I think is discontinued, but its extra wide for your dually and extra high with rolling jacks. I can park an Equinox under it and a Ram 2500 crew cab regular bed on it with a 13-foot ceiling height. I also have an old Atlas 408 four post but its just wide and long enough for a car (Charger). On that one I have to take the ramps off to get another car under it. In the shop we have a newer Bendpak extra high and extra wide lift. That one we've NEVER used for cars/trucks because Bendpak offers a diamond plate filler that makes it a huge height-adjustable workbench. Never intended it that way, but you will love it if you work on large heavy items. Has a tendency to collect junk though...

If you have single entry doors, I strongly suggest getting a lift with an inside-the-post clearance that is wider than your doors. That way you can't hit the posts and your mirrors at the door framing become your guide. All things considered get the highest/widest lift you need. However, if you're not going to put more than 9,000 pounds on it, save your money for other shop tools. Besides, like trucks, your buddy has a larger one that he will lend you (occasionally).

Last edited:
   / 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas #152  
1709679486555.png

Here's the BendPak aluminum deck.

/ 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas #153  
With all the different vehicles you want to use a lift for, shouldn't you be looking for one with adjustable ramp width? Mine was made in 1934, brand name Walker and came with two full length I beams. Each end had a slide attachment that caught the straight axles of the cars of that era. I made two full length ramps to accommodate new vehicles and upgraded the hoist motor and cables. Not as useable as a new one but works great for storing our two street rods. The idea of using the rollers under the lift seems like a good idea looking at your shop design.

/ 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas #154  
two post in ground

if i had to do again

/ 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas #155  
   / 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas #156  
As far as I can tell, it's only a matter of getting all four tires on the runners. Which should be quite easy.

Not sure why anyone would use a 4-post for tire rotations, though. For that task I prefer using regular jacks, with the vehicle on the floor.

Of course, on a vehicle with live axles it could be done by using the near mandatory tall 2-post stands and do one side or axle at a time.
I use my four post for tire rotation a lot, let me explain once the vehicle is on the lift I raise it up to about chest level position my air jack so as to raise one side with one jack then I lower the lift to about waist level remove lugs now if I am working by myself I have a cart I roll one wheel on and roll it around keeping it at waist level, I grab the other wheel move it and then the wheel on the cart. If someone is there to help they grab a wheel and we pass each other as we carry the wheel to the other position. Now notice in this process I have not bent over or gotten down on my knees not one time and I keep my back straight. At 65 years young with a bad back and knees that is important.

/ 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas #157  
With a two post life you have to be cafeful with GM vehicles as a
camero or firebird will bend in the middle and you can't open or
shut the doors Actually you can watch them bend if the doors are
open :ROFLMAO:

willy

/ 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas #158  
I decided on a two post, it's an Advantage Lift AL-SC10 for $3,995 right now they are on sale for $2,995. It is made in China to specs developed in the USA. It has been a very good lift, seems quality with thick steel. I have used it for vehicles and my golf cart, side by side, tractors. I bought an attachment from JMC Equipment for the golf cart that works for tractors, side by side, zero turn, etc. It is

AMGO Hydraulics 20805 Golf lift accessories SKU: AH-20805.​

With this accessory I can easily and safely stand under golf cart, zero turns, tractors, side by side to change oil, remove and sharpen blades, clean under deck, etc.

Attachments

• Gator TE on Lift.jpg
    Gator TE on Lift.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 48
  • Gator TE on Lift2.jpg
    Gator TE on Lift2.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 51
  • Gravely Pro Turn 152 on Lift.jpg
    Gravely Pro Turn 152 on Lift.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 46
  • New Holland TZ18DA on lift.jpg
    New Holland TZ18DA on lift.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 42
   / 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas #159  
I searched the forums using the search function, and could not find what I was looking for. So, here goes. ADMINS, if this is the wrong forum for this topic, apologies. Let me know if it needs to move.

Ok, so... I'm recently retired from a very long 36 year career in the US Army. I bought property in South Carolina, and recently moved into my forever home. We just broke ground for my workshop, and here is my rough floor plan. I want a vehicle lift to work on my dually, my Jeep, my UTV, etc. but I can't decide on either a 2 post or a 4 post. I have read the pro's and con's of each, and still can't make up my mind.

My brother is a 30 year heavy diesel mechanic, and has a 2 post lift at his house. He has told me the differences, and his opinion on the matter. I've never had a lift before, but I know it is a must have for my new shop.

What are your thoughts, from those who have lifts. Also, which brand do you recommend?

My shop will be 40' wide, by 60' deep. I will have three 12x12 roll up doors with aprons, situated as shown in the diagram. I'm adding drains as well. The 14' over hang will have the first 20' finished off, and will be my office. There will be a full bathroom (toilet, sink and shower) in the office area.

Shop will be insulated, and wired with both 110v and 220v.

Looking forward to your insight. Much appreciated.

View attachment 855096
Doors on the side are best to me. I have one barn with end doors and one with side doors. Unless you just want to see outside the end door on the end with the side door and lift will be more trouble than benefit. You'll want that wall for tools and such with your work benches along the long inside wall. The other end door would be a waste for me. I'd put it in the side wall. You asked.

I have never trusted two post lifts since the day I drove up to the tire shop just in time to see a new pickup fall off and domino the whole shop. Operator error but still it fell. Access is better but there are things I value more. If I did put in a two post lift it would have deep drilled footings with plenty of rebar cage in them. As and engineer I've determined the overturning moment with a vehicle like my Ram diesel and didn't like the numbers, I know the bottom plates are designed for the bending and other forces but I still don't trust them, not with me under it all.

/ 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas #160  
I searched the forums using the search function, and could not find what I was looking for. So, here goes. ADMINS, if this is the wrong forum for this topic, apologies. Let me know if it needs to move.

Ok, so... I'm recently retired from a very long 36 year career in the US Army. I bought property in South Carolina, and recently moved into my forever home. We just broke ground for my workshop, and here is my rough floor plan. I want a vehicle lift to work on my dually, my Jeep, my UTV, etc. but I can't decide on either a 2 post or a 4 post. I have read the pro's and con's of each, and still can't make up my mind.

My brother is a 30 year heavy diesel mechanic, and has a 2 post lift at his house. He has told me the differences, and his opinion on the matter. I've never had a lift before, but I know it is a must have for my new shop.

What are your thoughts, from those who have lifts. Also, which brand do you recommend?

My shop will be 40' wide, by 60' deep. I will have three 12x12 roll up doors with aprons, situated as shown in the diagram. I'm adding drains as well. The 14' over hang will have the first 20' finished off, and will be my office. There will be a full bathroom (toilet, sink and shower) in the office area.

Shop will be insulated, and wired with both 110v and 220v.

Looking forward to your insight. Much appreciated.

View attachment 855096
What about a high capacity mid-rise scissor lift? it is portable, you can build a welding table for it when not lifting cars, all four wheels are suspended so you can do brake work and tire rotation, the front is open to access the bottom of the engine. Yes, the tracks or rails do restrict access but it should be stable.

My only reservation for all lifts is the safety latch. I saw some reviews of scissor lifts with the lock track welds broken. Not comforting at all!