2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas

/ 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas #171  
I have both 2 & 4 post lifts in my garage. 2 post is great for most repair work. But is not good if you plan on using it to store a car or truck on it. Put a car on a 2 post lift wheels of the ground and open a door and you’ll see what I mean. Old cars and convertibles really flex. Also removing engine or rear end from vehicle make sure you have lift floor stands as that can make vehicle tip on lift. Four post great for long term storage and very fast set up as drive vehicle on and lift no set up. If you go four post get extra wide model that will 109” between post. So you’ll be able to pass under it and won’t have to put mirrors in while a pickup on lift. I also welded up some cross beams to lay across 4 post so I can put tractor or anything that isn’t wide enough to sit on ramps

/ 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas #172  
I also welded up some cross beams to lay across 4 post so I can put tractor or anything that isn’t wide enough to sit on ramps
I would be interested in learning more about how you accomplished this.

/ 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas #173  
Took my F-150 to a friend's house to borrow his 2-post lift yesterday for an oil change. I had never lifted the F-150 before. One thing led to another and by the time we got around to it I was tired enough to not trust my judgement. Didn't feel confident as to the correct lift points, or where center of gravity was. Neuropathy makes it very hard to get down and back up. Gave up, will probably pay a shop to change oil.

So that settles it for me, my shop will have a 4 post lift.

/ 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas #174  
Have an old paper version. Once you get good at it it is no big deal

/ 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas #175  
Have an old paper version. Once you get good at it it is no big deal
I keep buying the newest versions, and am often surprised by what the official points are compared to my guesses.

/ 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas #177  
I keep buying the newest versions, and am often surprised by what the official points are compared to my guesses.
My new Rotary Lift came with 2 printed lift point manuals. I don't plan on lifting any newer (than 2024) veh's, so I'll just keep these.

/ 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas #178  
In the future I will have side doors. The end doors create too many problems but 1 end door would allow longer vehicles. I have made a pledge that no shop of mine will ever again have more shelves than is absolutely necessary to store my tools. Shelving in a workshop is an invitation to a disaster. I will also build the foundation 6+ inches above the floor so melting snow and such does not pose a corrosion issue.

/ 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas #179  
I do not like doors in the sides of buildings, I guess a lot may depend on the climate you are in.
In my area with frequent storms and showers entering or exiting a building with doors in the sidewall means getting soaked, unless you install gutters which in turn leads to it's own world of issues. Getting plugged, needing to be cleaned, getting ice dammed, snow destroying them and damaging the fascia.
Snow sliding off the roof in the winter and piling up in a packed mess that needs to be removed before the doors can be opened, snow dumping on you as you enter or exit, just so much fun.
Doors in the side of a building are fine for secondary/occasional usage not every day usage.
Just my opinion developed over many years entering and exiting many different buildings under less then ideal conditions.

/ 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas #180  
IMO door location and weather has less to do with what actual side of the building you're on and more to do with what direction the bad weather comes from. Around here the bad weather comes from the northwest. So ideally you want to put your doors on the back side. Which of course i did not do. My suggestion is put your larger doors on the leeward side, smaller on the windward. Your lager wider insulated doors, by the time you add enough support to keep them from flexing in the wind they weigh a ton. Torsion springs are your friend, but you still have to install them, and getting that right is a since in itself.