2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas

/ 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas #161  
I agree with Slowpoke Slim , I would go with the 4 post just for the ability to get into the vehicle while on the lift, if need should arise. there are attachments to raise the wheels off the ramps of a 4 poster if needed and still have stability

/ 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas #162  
Sorry I haven't combed through the entire thread. Had a MaxJax two post in my old shop because of limited ceiling height. I was in my 40's then so I didn't like positioning the arms, but no problem. Getting out of the doors in a two-door (Cuda) was an acrobatic chore. Those little lifts are fine if you use a rolling seat, we've pulled engines and replaced 4 speeds with no problem.

If you have the resources, I'd suggest a 4 post with rolling hydraulic jacks. I have an Atlas 409 four-post which I think is discontinued, but its extra wide for your dually and extra high with rolling jacks. I can park an Equinox under it and a Ram 2500 crew cab regular bed on it with a 13-foot ceiling height. I also have an old Atlas 408 four post but its just wide and long enough for a car (Charger). On that one I have to take the ramps off to get another car under it. In the shop we have a newer Bendpak extra high and extra wide lift. That one we've NEVER used for cars/trucks because Bendpak offers a diamond plate filler that makes it a huge height-adjustable workbench. Never intended it that way, but you will love it if you work on large heavy items. Has a tendency to collect junk though...

If you have single entry doors, I strongly suggest getting a lift with an inside-the-post clearance that is wider than your doors. That way you can't hit the posts and your mirrors at the door framing become your guide. All things considered get the highest/widest lift you need. However, if you're not going to put more than 9,000 pounds on it, save your money for other shop tools. Besides, like trucks, your buddy has a larger one that he will lend you (occasionally).

/ 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas #163  
I agree with Slowpoke Slim , I would go with the 4 post just for the ability to get into the vehicle while on the lift, if need should arise. there are attachments to raise the wheels off the ramps of a 4 poster if needed and still have stability
The only way a 4 post lift makes sense is if your going to store another vehicle under it or there is an alignment machine on the front. They have their place would not be me MY recommendation for a shop with one lift. Those four posts in your way in a smaller shop get really annoying. You want the two posts on the outside that swing in. Then you can catch the body lift points and if you want to reach the frame.

I am finding more and more that we are dropping an engine out the bottom, lifting the body and rolling the chassis out. Dropping whole rear axle, how do you do that on a four post.

They make hoists that are off set so you can open the doors........ or put it in the ground, solves the stability issues concrete thickness, posts in the way of the doors. I wish I would have done it that way.

Recessed in the ground with a steal plate you can put over the top. Planned out right be my choice. And if we didn't have in floor heat I would be cutting the concrete and doing it.

/ 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas #164  
With a two post life you have to be cafeful with GM vehicles as a
camero or firebird will bend in the middle and you can't open or
shut the doors Actually you can watch them bend if the doors are
open :ROFLMAO:

willy

Attachments

• bendPak 10 K.JPG
    bendPak 10 K.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 62
   / 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas #165  
I have a 9000lb 2 post that has been real handy, although I would not try to lift a tractor on it. Even my F350 is pushing it.

I put in 6" of high psi concrete and lots of rebar.

I would put 2 doors on the same wall and one on the end. Having door on each end of the lift is a waste of a door, especially if you just want to park some vehicles in there.
How many cars are you running through there in a day that you need to drive on and drive off.

/ 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas #166  
Having a door on each end with the idea of driving through means keeping all the floor space between the doors clear all the time. That's a lot of space that's not getting used for much. Having a single door means you need to use up space in the building to position vehicles, like parking them on a slant. Or put them on wheel dollies and push them out of the way. Multiple doors to multiple bays would let you store or work on more than one vehicle at a time with a more efficient use of space.

/ 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas #168  
Read through things a little more and looked at your plans. Look at insulated scissors truss.
Insulating Scissors Trusses - Fine Homebuilding. That will give you ceiling height in the middle of the building. As for the door on the end, consider moving that to the side wall next to the one with the lift. We have 12 wide 9' high doors in front of our lift and are happy. Then put your really large door on the one end. You start getting a lot of large, insulated doors they are expensive and hard to seal. And over time you're going to hate them. With the two-side door you can add another lift and still have your drive through.

As for air lines and plugs. Most guys are using battery operated so..... its the 220 line on the other end of the shop for the welder, plasma cutter and milling machine...... then if you can get three phase, three phase is your friend then all kinds of stuff get much cheaper.

In floor with hydronic make up air handler and a big old fan on the one end wall. Use 16' walls, plan for bunk house above the shower and entrance in the corner. Build the shower pan into the concrete floor/pour. Run a floor drain down the middle. Then one in front of the two doors on the side.

Look at commercial grease trap on the drain lines coming out of your shop before they go into your septic.

Off topic big time....... but spending other people's money is so much fun.

/ 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas #169  
Getting really off topic. If i had to do again, i would put in a physical plant/building. Put in gas boiler, wood boiler and chiller. Then run the hot and chilled water to all the various buildings. Have power go in with transfer switch for the backup generator. Then load shed at the buildings.