2001 PT425 Kohler CH25 Oil Leak - Pull The Engine

/ 2001 PT425 Kohler CH25 Oil Leak - Pull The Engine #41  
Yeah, I've been very pleased with the machine.

I've often wondered how long a similar machine with an automobile 4 cylinder liquid cooled gas engine would last? Probably indefinitely, given the hours.

Perhaps a Chevy 153 from a 60's Chevy II. :)
For what it's worth, I saw an old PT-445 for sale on facebook marketplace recently. It had an old ford industrial gas engine that looked to be original.

/ 2001 PT425 Kohler CH25 Oil Leak - Pull The Engine
Welp, it showed up inside of a corrugated cardboard box in a waterproof bag. The plastic box has a cracked hinge. Oh well. Doesn't bother me. All of the fittings are there. Will get on it again as time permits. Spent the weekend working on canna lilies, flower pots, greenhouse, etc. winterizing. Spent Sunday with my wife and some of her family.

IMG_5460.jpeg IMG_5461.jpeg IMG_5332.jpeg

Would have been handy to have the PT425 to dig out the lilies in 5 minutes VS 2 hours with the shovel. :ROFLMAO:

/ 2001 PT425 Kohler CH25 Oil Leak - Pull The Engine #43  
Thanks much for this posting. I just happened onto it this morning, after a few hours of tossing and turning sleep, wondering how to proceed with my new, big engine problem. This series of pics and your directions have given me a new energy. 😊

That's what we're all about here in the PT forum. 🤣

/ 2001 PT425 Kohler CH25 Oil Leak - Pull The Engine #45  
That's the hydroback. My tram pedal is cable controlled. I do not know what is inside of that cylinder. All I do know is that the cable pulls or pushes it, and the hydroback then operates the direction lever on the tram pump. The bracket that it mounts to has slotted holes, so I'm guessing that's how you adjust it for neutral with all 4 wheels off the ground.

Maybe there's some spring dampening in that cylinder to lessen shock from treadle movement?
Out of necessity I found out what the black cylinder is. It has a push pull set of springs inside to center the tram pedal. Mine is stripped out and will not bring reverse back to center (the cable just comes out of the cylinder when it should be attached {by internal treads onto the cable}. I think I may need to install a Helicoil or ?

Out of necessity I found out what the black cylinder is. It has a push pull set of springs inside to center the tram pedal. Mine is stripped out and will not bring reverse back to center (the cable just comes out of the cylinder when it should be attached {by internal treads onto the cable}. I think I may need to install a Helicoil or ?
I'm pretty sure PowerTrac will sell you a new one. I just don't know the cost.

I've never opened one up.

I just bumped up a thread about changing it in the PT forums. Hope that helps.

/ 2001 PT425 Kohler CH25 Oil Leak - Pull The Engine #47  
Terry thought it was $400. I drilled out the center for 3/8 coarse and then a 3/8 bolt taped for 1/4 fine to thread on the cable. It works so far.

Attachments

• corse 38 bolt drilld tapd for 14 28.jpg
    corse 38 bolt drilld tapd for 14 28.jpg
    540 KB · Views: 39
  • corse 38 hole taped for keensert type .jpg
    corse 38 hole taped for keensert type .jpg
    574.4 KB · Views: 38
   / 2001 PT425 Kohler CH25 Oil Leak - Pull The Engine #49  
$400 seems a lot for that. Are PT replacement parts generally expensive?

$400 seems a lot for that. Are PT replacement parts generally expensive?
They do have a markup. They also have great service and you usually get your stuff in just a couple days.