$300 For 50 hour service on L2501

/ $300 For 50 hour service on L2501 #61  
As far as using OEM filters go, the video that was linked awhile back was an eye opener for me. There is a huge difference among what goes into filters that look exactly the same from the outside. I have also read that the filter size in microns or whatever is often different. When one filter is half empty space, you can rest assured the little filter part will clog up a lot faster and the thing will go into bypass much sooner than the OEM ones. After seeing that video, I would never put a non OEM filter on any piece of equipment that I expect to outlast me.
As far as fluids go, that's another matter, mostly because the NH dealers around here don't even carry their brand, and it's hard to find. I like the Kubota synthetic hydro fluid, expensive though it is, because it works better in cold weather. When there's snow to move and it's 10 degrees, yeah, the other stuff will eventually warm up some, but the wait is painful.
I had never heard of a tractor that required a hydro fluid change at 50 hours, and never considered it. My NH required filters changed at 50, but not fluid, other than engine oil of course. When I bought the tractor, I considered changing the engine oil out at 25 hours but was talked out of it on TBN, with some people saying that the factory oil had special qualities that required it to be used for the specified time. Not sure of that one, but with cars, I have always changed the oil in a new car very quickly, the first time.

The one thing that I have done with both my diesel engines is to replace the antifreeze with Evans waterless, permanently. If anyone out there is aware of any dangers of doing this, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

/ $300 For 50 hour service on L2501 #62  
Those of you that changed your cloudy fluid at 50 hours; if you checked at 100 hours and found it to be cloudy, would you change it again at 100 hours?

I changed my fluid at 50hrs because of cloudiness. More accurately it was pearlescent. I assumed this to be fine metal bits from manufacturing/break-in. (Hopefully that's all it was) I don't believe so much that it was cloudiness caused by water from condensation as my tractor gets regular, extended workouts.

I've been keeping a close eye on the fluid appearance and so far everything seems to be fine.

Regards,
Duber

/ $300 For 50 hour service on L2501 #63  
That's good price :thumbsup: had my L2800HST completely gone thru...filters,fluids,pressure checks,belt,grease, etc. etc. less than $600,guess different regions makes differents.

/ $300 For 50 hour service on L2501 #64  
Reviving this thread, especially since I have a 2501 like the OP.

In my opinion, $292 is incredibly overpriced.

First off, from the owner's manual of my L2501, the 50 hour service comprises changing the engine oil and filter, and the HST filter. That's it!

OEM Kubota oil filter, HST filter, 1 quart SUDT2, and 6 quarts of Kubota-branded 10w30 oil comes to a grand total of $71.40 from Messicks. I suspect any dealer would be similar.

So I buy the parts, let me tractor run for 10 minutes to get the oil warm, slide a drain pan underneath, open both oil drain plugs, and let the oil drain. While that drains, I use a standard oil filter clamping wrench to remove the engine oil filter. Let that drain out, then carefully clean the mating service. I usually prefill the oil filter, even a horizontal one like this, with some engine oil. Smear a little clean oil on the filter seal. Spin back on. Clean drain plugs and mating services, re-install plugs. Refill the engine with fresh oil, maybe put in 5.5 quarts total. Start engine, wait for low oil pressure light to go off, check for leaks. Let sit a few minutes, then check oil disptick. If low, add more to correct level. Now drive the tractor up on a 6x6 or vehicle ramp or whatever you have to get the HST filter side higher off the ground than the hydraulic filter side. This will minimize fluid loss. Take new filter out of packing, smear some fresh SUDT2 on the filter seal. Place another catch pan under filter area and remove with the same oil filter clamp wrench. Quickly reinstall the new filter. Wipe up any spills on the machine. Start tractor and get machine level again. Drive forward and backward some, operate 3 point lift and loader. Check fluid level in sight glass - add until fluid is visible. Drain your used engine oil and hydraulic fluid into old containers, be it milk jugs or empty oil containers - take to AutoZone or similar for free recycling. Take permanent marker and write date / hours on your new HST filter and oil filter for easier future reference. Create a log on a sheet of paper noting date and hours of oil change, and where parts were purchased. Place parts receipts and log into a folder and store in a safe place.

In the end, you might have two hours into it, including disposing of the old oil - but that's going to be quicker than the dealer no matter what. With the dealer, either you or they transport it, and then it is a day or a few before you get it back. Some will come to you if you live close by, but usually at a premium cost. For me, I spent $72 bucks, the oil and filters were done completely properly, and my tractor is back in service in 2 hours or less. You can't beat that, plus you get to know your machine better. Often, I do a few other things - grease all the loader and other grease fittings, make sure the radiator screen is perfectly clean, make sure the battery ends are tight and clean, check air filters / fuel filters, etc...then give my tractor a wash and maybe a wax.

Until very recently, the 50 hour service was both HST and hydraulic filters. On my 2018 MX and 2019 L tractors, I see the hydraulic side filter now waits until 400 hours. A dealer who is changing engine oil filter, HST filter, hydraulic filter, fuel filter, and air filter is bilking the customer. At 50 hours the fuel and air filters should be a very simple "inspect" rather than automatic replace. The air filters are quite good quality and can generally be cleaned / blown out at 50 hours. Only customers working in dry and dusty conditions are going to to possibly need a new filter at 50 hours. Fuel filters? My diesel pickup needs new fuel filters at 15,000 miles but a little Kubota tractor needs them at 50 hours? Lol. Most the the smaller tractors, including the L2501 have a small paper filter element inside a clear plastic housing. If algae or other bio growth occurs, Kubota instructs you to clean the housing. I think the reasoning behind extending the hydraulic filter service out is because of the quality of the filters. OEM hydraulic filters are expensive and very good quality. There is also a much smaller likelihood of manufacturing metal or other shavings in the hydraulic system compared to the HST system.

Just my $0.02.