A RED John Deere?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / A RED John Deere? #21  
Why would we want a 49% limit on foreign ownership of anything in a free society?

Foreign investments help to create more stable trade between countries allowing us to not only import but to export.

Foreign investments help to stabilize the American Dollar.

Foreign investments help to create jobs in America. . . how many manufacturing jobs have American companies shipped overseas (ask the guy driving the John Deere CUT) . . . and how many people here are employed by Honda, Toyata, Mitsubishi or Subaru assembling their cars in America instead of just importing them from Japan already built.

Our biggest problem with why we export jobs is our labor costs combined with our government interfearing with businesses. And then there is the fact that we are not willing, as consumers to pay extra for quality so we support stores like Wal Mart that sell about 80% foreign made goods but wave a big American Flag around so we feel good when we buy clothes made in sweat shops in Asia or we get that foreign made nut or bolt for .005 cents cheaper than we can get the American made one. And our unions here are a big reason we export so many jobs because they prevent imegrants from working for minimum wage in sewing shops in America or assembly plants for minimum wage so we'd at least have some entry level jobs here instead of shipping them overseas. And the governement, mostly the Democrats but often the Republicans, works with the unions to raise the wages, or impose regulations that drive more and more jobs overseas until the only jobs left here will be upper management jobs and service jobs that require you to say "and do you want fries with that. . . ?"

OK I jumped on a soapbox, but the country was built on foreign labor, with foreign imigrants, with foreign investments and we all became Americans after we got here, or after our parents or grandparents got here from somewhere else. And we prospered because we are an open society. But the unions are taking over the governement jobs (the only growth unions have is unionizing municiple workers) and the do-gooders in government keep handing out benefits that impale small businesses so that it is harder for little guys to make a profit. And then we ***** about foreign investors when in fact they come here and fix some of our broken companies!

/ A RED John Deere? #22  
Bob:

Living in a "Ford" family, I can tell you that most assuredly, Ford owns a Share in Mazda, but not the entire company.

/ A RED John Deere? #23  
well written!

dont forget that the only real reason that japanese auto makers build in the us is because of the cheap labor! aint that a kick in the teeth. yep unions now a days dont do too much good for america as a whole, but they had their time....back before labor laws and when monopolies ruled the roost.

/ A RED John Deere? #25  
I am not sure what % of Mazda Ford owns. I do know that they own Volvo, Jaguar and Aston Martin as well as several other foreign marques in the auto industry. GM owns Opel, Daewoo and many others as well, plus 40%+ interest in Fiat.

Case, New Holland are both owned by a French company, but the small tractors are built in Japan and assembled in Georgia. JD is a true world company now, but is still predominatly American owned while parts come from everywhere and building and assembly are subcontracted out and scattered.

The world we live in doesn't stop at the two oceans that define our borders and very few of us (less than 1% of our population) are from HERE, we came from somewhere else. And that makes AMERICA stronger. And foreign investors are part of that make up of America that helps make us the greatest power on the planet. But we do more to destroy our own economy than everyone else combined because we demand cheap goods but then set barriers so high that we cannot produce those goods here. Do you think the factory making steel for the Jimna tractors is meeting our EPA standards? Do you think their labor is being paid inflated union wages with excessive union benefits? Do you think the factories were built to OSHA specifications? No, people just want a cheap tractor so they forget all that stuff and buy a Jimna and then ***** that we have no manufacturing jobs here. . . go ***** at the unions for inflating the wages and benefits and go ***** at the government for laying down so many rules that even if we had cheap labor we couldn't use it.

/ A RED John Deere? #26  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( It's a shame we don't have that limit here. )</font>

We do.. to an extent.... foreign companies cannot own domestic companies that are/or own a radio station here.. etc.

Soundguy

/ A RED John Deere? #27  
I never considered a radio station a manufacturing job. The media is a service industry. Like Mickey Dees and Booger King.

Problem with that is the price of durable goods and services aren't in line with the wages that service jobs pay.

In this country we are developing a wider and wider rift between the working class and the cost for those durable goods.

I agree that most likely the factory that produced the steel or the castings for the Jimma would never meet EPA regs and probably pay their help a few cents a day, but, without enviromental laws and regs, do you think for a minute taht we'd have the quality of life that we have today?

I am not going to continue on in the political arena. We could go on for pages and pages and never agree, but that's what makes this Country great, the freedom to disagree!!

/ A RED John Deere? #28  
John deere has many makes and models so does most other companys they own pushmower outfit in germany like Skukfurk i think and many other coded projects. Some are in the works..

/ A RED John Deere? #29  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( never considered a radio station a manufacturing job. The media is a service industry )</font>

Yes.. -BUT- if a manufacturing company owns a radio station... that manufacturing company cannot be owned ( or taken over ) by a foreign company...

That has been a widely used subtle business tactic to prevent hostile takeover.

Soundguy

/ A RED John Deere? #30  
Hi Bob,
I was just saying Yanmar engines were good not directed at you because I did not think you said anything bad about them. Ford owns something like 33% of Mazda. If you look at the Mazda trucks they are really Ford Rangers ever since 1994. The Tribute was partially designed by Mazda and most smaller Ford cars use Mazda motors like the Probe, Tracer and so on. The new Mazda 3 (protege replacement) will have engineering from Volvo, Mazda and Ford. They will also have new compact cars coming out.

Status
Not open for further replies.