Adding Telescopic Stabilizer Kit-Worth It?

/ Adding Telescopic Stabilizer Kit-Worth It? #1  

The Deerslayer

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3901 Former: Kubota L2250
Looking for some feedback on the benefits of adding the telescopic stabilizer kit option to my my Kubota L3901. I already have the Pat's system on the lower arms, so wondering how much of a benefit it would be. There are times when I have to adjust the turnbuckles which can be a bit of a pain and I suspect this is where the sliding arms may come in handy. Particularly interested in anyone who added these after purchase to show a before and after comparison in regard to degree of benefit and if the extra cost was worth it. That said all feedback welcome!

/ Adding Telescopic Stabilizer Kit-Worth It? #2  
I put a set of Mark Hodge's on my L3200. Worth every penny in my opinion. Hook up made so much easier than messing with those turnbuckles.

/ Adding Telescopic Stabilizer Kit-Worth It? #3  
I have them from the factory on my 5100 and LOVE them.
Went and bought a set of "Mark's" for my BX and never thought twice about it. Makes hooking up MUCH easier and faster. Well worth the money!!

/ Adding Telescopic Stabilizer Kit-Worth It? #5  
I don't have the quick hitch. I thought if you had one there would be no need to adjust turnbuckles. Like I said I don't have one so maybe someone more knowledgeable can jump in and add there insight with the quick hitch.

/ Adding Telescopic Stabilizer Kit-Worth It? #6  
I bought the Kubota stabilizers for my L3200 (nearly same as your L) for about $175 if I remember right. They are quicker to adjust than the turnbuckles, but the turnbuckles give you infinite adjustment and can be smoothly snugged to exactly where you want. The stabilizers have a finite number of peg holes so you can get "close" to what you want but not perfect. Sometimes it takes some jockeying to get to that point. The pins are easy to handle (and chained, so they can't be lost) but they are secured with small spring pins on the end that are fidgety (have to take gloves off) and easy to lose. I suspect the spring pins could be skipped without much consequence.

I think the stabilizers are faster for "large" gross adjustments when removing/adding/changing implements. But for fine adjustments the turnbuckles are better. Decide where/when you'd see a benefit and decide if they are right for you!

/ Adding Telescopic Stabilizer Kit-Worth It? #7  
I have Pats and Hodges stabilizers. Hooking up a 3pt implement is a snap and only takes seconds, yes seconds with no tools needed. I figure time is money and its gonna save me alot of time overall. Granted I have a BX but its generally the same.

Hodge had stated this on another forum,
"customers who had broken their turnbuckles. That isn't uncommon, and neither is stretched threads. With turnbuckles, only one side holds the load- the side that is being pulled against. The other side does nothing, due to the loose mounting system, and the nature of a turnbuckle. Telescoping stabilizers, on the other hand, hold both under tension (pulling), and compression. So, both sides keep the load stationary, making the system stronger and less prone to damage. A quick hitch has no effect on that- it depends on the stabilizers to hold it stationary. So, while a quick hitch could make telescoping stabilizers unnecessary because a person isn't having to adjust them when changing implements, the weaker design still has a bearing on how the system holds up. Telescoping stabilizers, in conjunction with a quick hitch, is a simple to use system, that is also stronger."

/ Adding Telescopic Stabilizer Kit-Worth It? #8  
I have Pats and Hodges stabilizers. Hooking up a 3pt implement is a snap and only takes seconds, yes seconds with no tools needed. I figure time is money and its gonna save me alot of time overall. Granted I have a BX but its generally the same. Hodge had stated this on another forum, "customers who had broken their turnbuckles. That isn't uncommon, and neither is stretched threads. With turnbuckles, only one side holds the load- the side that is being pulled against. The other side does nothing, due to the loose mounting system, and the nature of a turnbuckle. Telescoping stabilizers, on the other hand, hold both under tension (pulling), and compression. So, both sides keep the load stationary, making the system stronger and less prone to damage. A quick hitch has no effect on that- it depends on the stabilizers to hold it stationary. So, while a quick hitch could make telescoping stabilizers unnecessary because a person isn't having to adjust them when changing implements, the weaker design still has a bearing on how the system holds up. Telescoping stabilizers, in conjunction with a quick hitch, is a simple to use system, that is also stronger."
Outstanding information about this type of setup answered all my questions about the turnbuckles with the quick hitch.

/ Adding Telescopic Stabilizer Kit-Worth It? #9  
Hodge had stated this on another forum,
"customers who had broken their turnbuckles. That isn't uncommon, and neither is stretched threads. With turnbuckles, only one side holds the load- the side that is being pulled against. The other side does nothing, due to the loose mounting system, and the nature of a turnbuckle. Telescoping stabilizers, on the other hand, hold both under tension (pulling), and compression. "

I don't agree with that at all. As long as there is play, one of the stabilizers will always be in tension and the other will be slack. There is no way around that when you draw a diagram of the 3-pt linkage (it's designed that way in fact). Turnbuckles or telescopic stabilizers, it doesn't matter. Neither can go into compression without first doubling back slack against the end clevis/pin/ring, and that is not a reliable way to go into compression.

/ Adding Telescopic Stabilizer Kit-Worth It? #10  
I have to agree that the turnbuckles can be adjusted a little tighter than the stabilizers, but the turnbuckles will not be going back on my Kubota in my lifetime!