Antifreee question?

/ Antifreee question? #21  
I have a quick question for FSE: Kabota just asks for permant antifreeze for my little BX24. I could find no specs other than that. I put in some green low silicate antifreeze, 4985 I believe. Should I add some SCA to it.

Thanks

You can but I doubt it is needed as Kubota made no reference to it. Adding it does improve the general metals corrosion resistance as diesel antifreeze meeting ASTM D4985 has some specs on general corrosion tests that it must pass. Adding any SCA to the coolant will improve the ferrous metals corrosion resistance even if cavitation pitting is never an issue as well as improving resistance to scale formation on hot surfaces. For engines not requiring such coolant with SCAs there is little likelihood that you will need to replenish them as they will not be consumed.

/ Antifreee question? #22  
Thanks for the information. I think next time I will use the ASTM D6210 rated antifreeze that already has the SCA mixed in. I plan on switching my 99 Ford diesel to that and will use it in the Kubota.

Thanks for the help and Merry Christmas.

/ Antifreee question? #23  
I have a quick question for FSE: Kabota just asks for permant antifreeze for my little BX24. I could find no specs other than that. I put in some green low silicate antifreeze, 4985 I believe. Should I add some SCA to it.

Thanks

And why did you add SCA to it? They do not have wet liners. If it passes the gm spec, it is fine by me.

/ Antifreee question? #24  
And why did you add SCA to it? They do not have wet liners. If it passes the gm spec, it is fine by me.

Hi did not say that he did! He simply asked if he should.

/ Antifreee question? #25  
What ever antifreeze and additive package you use get one that has an easily available test strip. Mixing additives does not make them better, it just makes testing them impossible to test. If you put in to much of an additive it is not better, read up on their data sheets, or oficial sites of the aditive to know, how they want their product used. Even if the engine does not have replaceable liners you can get scale build up and additive drop out and coating of the hot parts, you can get cavitation holes in the cast iron, and hot spots will cause the cylinder to crack at the top. I would like to see every engine with a coolant filter, to keep the system clean. Just draining you coolant, after use, into a pail and letting it settle, then pouring 90% of it back will clean out the system if done regularly, and you will see what comes out. That works for me and I did it in many of my vehicles. I have a little loader that will get a flush and refill as well as my Duramax, the coolant is 5 years old.
I use a mixture of Arm and Hammer washing soda and Dawn dish washer soap, for flushing,:thumbsup: if there is any signs of oil residue to clean cooling systems. even ones filled with fuel or oil.

/ Antifreee question? #27  
Even if an engine does not require supplemental coolant additives for cylinder wall cavitation pitting protection, the common supplemental coolant additives available will improve general metals corrosion protection. Nitrite as found in the old Nalcool product, Pencool additives, Fleetguard DCA2, Caterpillar coolant additive, Baldwin BTE, as well as Wix and Napa products....will improve the ferrous metals corrosion resistance even if the engine does not need that additive for pitting protection. The other supplemental coolant additive is sodium molybdate. It is a potent aluminum corrosion protection agent as well as being part of the most robust pitting protection available. More engines are being built with increasing amounts of aluminum content such as cylinder heads, water pumps, as well as thermostat housings and now radiators. Coolant additives composed of nitrite and molybdate are sold by Baldwin as BTA, Fleetguard as DCA4 as well as there are several coolants that use the combination of nitrite and molybdate as all or part of the ptting protdection and general metals protection. The most common (but not the only) are Fleetguard ES Compleat, Fleetguard Fleetcool EX, Caterpillar ELC OAT with nitrite and molybdate, Caterpillar Diesel Engine Antifreeze Coolant, Shell Fully Formulated Phosphate-Free, plus a few others whose names escape me at the moment. It has been mentioned that mixing nitrite only or nitrite/molybdate additives causes problems. That is not true. Most coolant manufacturers will state that mixing of their coolant with other brands will not cause harm. Adding one to the other only increases the values of the total additive package. Stories about mixing are completely untrue. The last topic to be addressed is the belief that only wet liner engines need SCA. The original Caterpillar V8 diesel truck engines, 1145, 1160 and the later 3208 were all parent bore designs. Parent bores use the cast-in cylinder design. Those engines require the use of SCA or coolants formulated with SCA to protect against pitting failures. The original International 6.9, later 7.3, the 7.3 Turbo (PowerStroke) and the last one from Int' the 6.0 PowerStroke (DT345) all are parent bore designs requiring and SCA per International Truck and Engine Company. Ford may not always have agreed! The Cummins 5.9L, ISB 5.9 and the latest ISB 6.7 as well as the Duramax diesel are examples of parent bore diesels that do not have the need for SCA. As I stated before, using coolant with SCA provide much better anti-corrosion properties than plain 'green' antifreeze. Not required but will not hurt either.

/ Antifreee question? #28  
Even if an engine does not require supplemental coolant additives for cylinder wall cavitation pitting protection, the common supplemental coolant additives available will improve general metals corrosion protection. Nitrite as found in the old Nalcool product, Pencool additives, Fleetguard DCA2, Caterpillar coolant additive, Baldwin BTE, as well as Wix and Napa products....will improve the ferrous metals corrosion resistance even if the engine does not need that additive for pitting protection. The other supplemental coolant additive is sodium molybdate. It is a potent .....

Could help but it is not needed. I have not used SCA since my old. I have
used, Toyota collants (super long life etc), Prestone, Fleetrite (normal made in Canada), and some others and never had a coolant issue.

Heck even the military does not use anything special in there engines. At least when I work on the MRAPs, FMTV etc.

It is not a powerchoke here, I had one too. Use any EG coolant it will outlast you. Reading WAY to much into this.

/ Antifreee question? #29  
I my case it looks llike I can just use the D6210 anti-freeze that I use in my Ford in my Kabota. A small step to simplfy my life.

I understand I can continue to use the D4985 in my Kabota that I have in there now.

/ Antifreee question? #30  
I my case it looks like I can just use the D6210 anti-freeze that I use in my Ford in my Kabota. A small step to simplfy my life.

Will be doing a flush n fill in my '97 Powerstroke sometime soon. Already have a supply of Fleetguard precharged with SCA and several gallons of distilled water.
If ever my Kubota B3030 needs to be maintained or topped off, it'll get the same thing after reading over FSE's posts.
Having fewer items around the garage at maintenance time will simplify things.