Any experience with a landscape rake?

/ Any experience with a landscape rake? #1  

glenk

Tractor
BX2380
My lot has a lot of small 2-4" rocks that I would like to clear. I was going to try to collect them by hand with a garden rake but it's just to much. I can buy a 48" landscape rake for my BX for $600 but was wondering if it would be the right tool. My rototiller sorted out all the bigger ones. Thank goodness for it's slip clutch.

Tnx, gk
IMG_20231005_092526088_HDR.jpg

/ Any experience with a landscape rake? #2  
Yes it should help rake those into a pile. Problem might be depth control. I have rake with gauge wheels and it works well for leveling and windrowing rocks when angled.

/ Any experience with a landscape rake? #3  
I have a landscape rake for the full size tractor, but years ago I needed to get some rocks up in the yard. I bought three or four cheap garden rakes at one of the box stores, welded them to a cross bar, and then fabricated a bracket to use behind a small garden tractor.

The full size landscape rake will be better for larger rocks and tree limbs. Can be also be used on gravel driveways, BTW. Will have good resale value.

If the rocks are too small for a full size landscape rake, you could fabricate something.

/ Any experience with a landscape rake? #5  
I have the same rock situation. Lots of small rocks on the surface. I use a landscape rake to windrow the rocks until there is a bunch of them in a row. Then I scoop them up with a bucket (it takes dirt and rocks) or a rock bucket. Most rock buckets have 3 inch spaces which leaves a lot of the small stuff behind. I dump the small rock in my creek crossing to help make a more sustainable crossing.
I have done this for a few neighbors and they are all pleased with the results.

/ Any experience with a landscape rake? #6  
If you leave every tooth in the rake and angle it unless the dirt is extremely dry (like dust) is going to act more like a back blade and just scrape the top surface.

I have found that removing every other tine works very well for doing actual land scape rake things.

/ Any experience with a landscape rake? #7  
A landscape rake would be a great tool for the job. I LOVE my landscape rake and is prob my most used 3 pt. implement. You might want to get a 5' though.

/ Any experience with a landscape rake? #8  
I use a 7 ft rake on my 6ft tractor. When angled some width is lost.

/ Any experience with a landscape rake? #9  
We use a 7’ rake on a 6’ tractor for the rock driveway, it of course brings big rocks up and it does help build the driveway up and flat, it takes a while to really settle down after we do it

/ Any experience with a landscape rake? #10  
Here is my experience with a 6' landscape rake, it is a little different:

PB060001.JPG
PB060008.JPG
PB060010.JPG

Last edited: