Anyone else favor older tractors to newer ones?

/ Anyone else favor older tractors to newer ones? #91  
Works as good as it looks, lol.

/ Anyone else favor older tractors to newer ones? #92  
Is it for sale? I thought those 4WDs only existed in brochures. VERY NICE. I would love to have one of those.

I could never sell the 584,, it was a "Buy of a Lifetime" ,, the son-in-laws can decide what happens to it,,,

\
That is a real beauty - an IH584 4wd. I wonder what it says on the loader cross support ???-O-Matic??

It says Mount-O-Matic,,, literally, no tools are needed to remove or install the loader,
lift two pins, back out, disconnect 4 hoses,,
I have never seen an easier loader to remove, or install.

15eAINQ.jpg

/ Anyone else favor older tractors to newer ones? #93  
I can see how that makes sense, but for my own tractors things aren't quite so black and white.

New models do have some advantages as well as disadvantages. So I try to weigh one against the other.

One big factor in having a choice is being able to to do your own own mechanical work. Some of us even enjoying doing some mechanical work. Old tractors are way ahead in that arena.
As I see it, their older simpler design means more reliable as well as less expensive to buy and upkeep.

But I've got a buddy who wouldn't know which wrench to use to open a beer. For him, a warranty is really important. - where for others a warranty doesn't mean so much.

I'm guessing that most guys who like older machinery have a selection of tools and the knowledge to use them. That's a big advantage. Huge advantage.
rScotty

As I have said elsewhere many times, I DIY and work alone. I finally have a shop equipped so that I can fix anything I have on the farm. Yes sir, no doubt that's part of the reason I said what I said.

/ Anyone else favor older tractors to newer ones? #94  
I could never sell the 584,, it was a "Buy of a Lifetime" ,, the son-in-laws can decide what happens to it,,,

Understand...... how much do they want for it? :D

That tractor should be on a calendar picture. :thumbsup:

/ Anyone else favor older tractors to newer ones? #95  
I found this one in a shed last year.

View attachment 602160

What is it? How does it work? It kinda looks like it might be for throwing fertilizer or fine mulch. I could use that capability, but have never seen such a thing.

If there is one type of old machinery that is even more of a screaming deal than older tractors, it is old 3pt. implements. And they are often very simple to repair in a home workshop.

rScotty

/ Anyone else favor older tractors to newer ones? #96  
What is it? How does it work? It kinda looks like it might be for throwing fertilizer or fine mulch. I could use that capability, but have never seen such a thing.
That is usually used for sand and/or salt in the winter and pelletized or granular fertilizer in the summer.
You dump it in the hopper at the top, the PTO spins the piece underneath the bottom of the hopper and throws your material out onto the ground. Changing the PTO speed, tractor ground speed, and/or the opening of the gate at the bottom of the hopper will change how far out the material is spread and how heavily it is spread on the ground.

Aaron Z

/ Anyone else favor older tractors to newer ones? #97  
If one were to answer the OP's question emotionally, you could just stop dead at CADplans IH
which has to define tractor ****. I mean, wouldn't most of us want to own that tractor?

It's when reality kicks in after the second hour in the seat and everything hurts from driving the old girl
that your modern hst on cruise with the a/c blowing and the tunes playing where the bugs don't get in or you aren't choking on dust
from the last turn, well that's feeling pretty nice. And don't forget the air ride seat.

NVH has really been lowered on modern tractors. Particularly noise inside the cab.
Noise tires me out. Headphones help. Just give me adequate gauges to watch, not some idiot lights
telling me congratulations you have just wrecked your engine.

/ Anyone else favor older tractors to newer ones? #98  
Understand...... how much do they want for it? :D

That tractor should be on a calendar picture. :thumbsup:

That is not a calendar picture,,, THIS is a calendar picture,,, :D

2012-09-09141258800x519.jpg

and,, yes, it still can earn its keep,,,

Spring1_zpsqdng5v4d.jpg

/ Anyone else favor older tractors to newer ones? #99  
Very nice tractor! When a tractor was a tractor.