Anyone else favor older tractors to newer ones?

/ Anyone else favor older tractors to newer ones? #81  
I like older tractors but the last one was non running so that is the last non running tractor I want to bring on the place.

/ Anyone else favor older tractors to newer ones? #82  
I like older tractors but the last one was non running so that is the last non running tractor I want to bring on the place.

And that's the problem with older tractors in a nutshell. Older tractors are usually easy to get running again - but it takes some mechanical knowledge.....and that knowledge tends to come with age.
Cheap and easy to fix, old tractors can be amazingly reliable and even fun. That's not so popular to do as it once was.

In fact I've noticed that the very people who have that knowledge are often old enough that they can just as easily afford a new machine in working order. Sort of a shame, because the it's the newbys and younger people who stand to gain the most by buying an older tractor, fixing it up, and avoiding the debt and payments of buying new. But they are often the very peole who don't want to do that.

Different generations have different priorities.
rScotty

/ Anyone else favor older tractors to newer ones? #83  
And that's the problem with older tractors in a nutshell. Older tractors are usually easy to get running again - but it takes some mechanical knowledge.....and that knowledge tends to come with age.
Cheap and easy to fix, old tractors can be amazingly reliable and even fun. That's not so popular to do as it once was.

In fact I've noticed that the very people who have that knowledge are often old enough that they can just as easily afford a new machine in working order. Sort of a shame, because the it's the newbys and younger people who stand to gain the most by buying an older tractor, fixing it up, and avoiding the debt and payments of buying new. But they are often the very peole who don't want to do that.

Different generations have different priorities.
rScotty

I am at the age of understanding if the next generation is just going to toss my projects when I am gone why do them in the first place. The daughter asked for the 1966 3000 Ford and actually uses it some. Adding the era specific Ford one arm FEL took effort and money but it may have a home for the next 50 years. At the age of 68 it makes no practical $$$ sense for me to pull together a small machine shop with 40 year old equipment. We came up with a old shop with the space on the place the son is buying so I have started that project since if nothing happens to it he may use it another 50 years since the kids are currently 21. The funny part the buy in price for the tractor and machine shop set up is in the $5K price range. That will not be the end cost of either however. Attachments for either are not free cost and time wise. :)

A blown tractor engine with block and crankshaft issues is best treated as scrap metal I am learning the hard way. Non running old tractors that need more than a point file to get to running are off my radar.

In fact I would not advise any younger person (post baby boomers) wanting a working tractor to buy 50-75 year old tractors. There is a world of good tractors under $10K today and with the baby boomers checking out daily there is going to be a glut of nice used tractors for years to come I expect. I consider myself lucky to have two 21 year old kids that share some of my interests. We are getting rid of the stuff that they show no interest in and putting that back into needs and interests that they do have so there is no need for an auction when I pass. Safety concerns are huge with older tractors too.

/ Anyone else favor older tractors to newer ones? #84  
A lot of truth to that with one caveot often things fall from favor only temporarily... or a generation.

I have seen this happen at my Grandparents farm... things from generations ago like the hand made furniture, old butter churns, spinning wheels and of course the old tractor...

In the 70's a lot of this stuff was just old and taking up space... same for neighboring farms... they actually had bonfires just to get rid of stuff and the few things that escaped are now HIGHLY prized...

I asked for a received an old spinning wheel and some old skis that replaced the hay wagon wheels... and also have Grandmother's treadle sewing machine...

Forty years later there is some hard feelings among the extended family... but these things were things being tossed out... the great and great great grandchildren have expressed real interest... especially the sewing machine and spinning wheel... the one Armoire cabinet my Grandfather made with simple hand tools and dove tail joints will probably be fought over...

Now just might be the sweet spot in time to collect a restored old tractor... often for less than the price of parts with labor free... at least some of what I have seen.

/ Anyone else favor older tractors to newer ones? #85  
You see it all the time and often on here. It doesn't take much to derail the tractoring intentions of the non technical sorts. Some of the mechanically inclined don't realize just how unfamiliar others are with mechanical/electrical things. I watched a neighbor constantly have his little precious time being taken up learning and "trying" to repair old tractors.

/ Anyone else favor older tractors to newer ones? #86  
You see it all the time and often on here. It doesn't take much to derail the tractoring intentions of the non technical sorts. Some of the mechanically inclined don't realize just how unfamiliar others are with mechanical/electrical things. I watched a neighbor constantly have his little precious time being taken up learning and "trying" to repair old tractors.

This is true with lots of stuff. I was at an equipment auction a few weeks ago and there was a lot of smaller equipment, an old farmer friend of mine and I were talking about it and he said I tell you what’s happening, grandpas and dads are dying and their kids aren’t gonna use it so it’s being sold. It’s true, I never thought of it like that.

/ Anyone else favor older tractors to newer ones? #87  
I just stole a top dresser at an auction. It had a few bent pieces here and there but perfectly repairable. A friend straightened the bent 3/4 " steel clevis tongue today, in a press, like it was a stick of butter. It does pay to have friends with experience and resources too. Took all of six minutes of farting around with appropriate blocks.

/ Anyone else favor older tractors to newer ones? #88  
I just stole a top dresser at an auction. It had a few bent pieces here and there but perfectly repairable. A friend straightened the bent 3/4 " steel clevis tongue today, in a press, like it was a stick of butter. It does pay to have friends with experience and resources too. Took all of six minutes of farting around with appropriate blocks.

You didn't steal it, you paid for it. How much?

/ Anyone else favor older tractors to newer ones? #89  

I found this one in a shed last year. Lady said it worked good last time her husband used it but he been dead for 23 years. I had it blasted and powdercoat painted.
IMG_6549.jpg
IMG_6552.jpg
IMG_6550.jpg
IMG_6551.jpg

/ Anyone else favor older tractors to newer ones? #90  
Does it work or does it just look perty. Sometimes it amazes me how people can through out good stuff and other times they want top dollar for a hunk of crap. I love resercting old stuff.:drink: