Backhoe Decision

/ Backhoe Decision #11  
if you git an backhoe, find out whether or not you have to take off the three point arms. that could make or break the deal for u. i have had both 3pt and subframe and i got the factory backhoe and subframe. 5 min on a d off. takes a little longer to install 3pt arms. i would only have the factory hoe. or i would got a mini hoe.

I have a 448 backhoe that came with my 4520. Installing this Deere branded backhoe does require removal of the 3PH linkage. It's mounted using two heavy (.50" thick) plates that are bolted into the frame and ROPS.
The 47, 48, 447 and 448 backhoes will fit the 4x00, 4x10, 3x20 and 4x20 series tractors. They are quite strong and definitely worth the money if you have enough work to justify the costs.

That said, my backhoe has been setting for a good 18 months. I bought the tractor for the cab...the backhoe was just part of the deal.

BTW. remember that the 4300 series tractors has aluminum casting for the transmission (I had a 4400 before the 4520), so make sure you get a frame that can handle the extra loads. The plates used for my 4520 are quite similar to those used on the 4300, so the design should be robust enough for your tractor.

Attachments

• Deere 4520a001.jpg
    Deere 4520a001.jpg
    696.5 KB · Views: 129
   / Backhoe Decision #12  
RoyJackson;4645873BTW. remember that the 4300 series tractors has aluminum casting for the transmission (I had a 4400 before the 4520) said:
If your tractor has aluminum rear end / transmission, I don't think I would be putting on any kind of back hoe. I think you would be asking for it to break your tractor.

/ Backhoe Decision #13  
if you are close to Md ,I have a 310b deere I havent used in 5 years .

/ Backhoe Decision #15  
I don't understand the high prices for backhoe attachments for tractors. For that kind of money, a person can buy a used REAL backhoe and have a much more capable machine, as well as being a second machine.

I've had a (real) backhoe and there's no way I'd buy a backhoe attachment for my tractor. It'd be like trying to paint a house with a tooth brush. A real backhoe would be MUCH more efficient in work performed, and would sell a lot quicker than an attachment when it came time.

I have a "real" backhoe. Sometimes a smaller one would me slot better IMO.

I fix slot of field tile blowouts and cleaning up outlets. Smaller hoes are just fine for that, lighter machine is easier on the field, and easier/cheaper to maintain

/ Backhoe Decision
If your tractor has aluminum rear end / transmission, I don't think I would be putting on any kind of back hoe. I think you would be asking for it to break your tractor.

Actually, the transmission/transaxle housing is iron. Only the axle housings are cast aluminum. Note the magnet in the picture .
ABB07881-E326-46AC-AC91-CFC3EC87E332.JPG
That is right at the point where the axle housings bolt to the transaxle.
There are two mounting systems for these tractors: rockshaft assist plates, that bolt on to the transaxle around the axle housings, and the subframe mounting system.

/ Backhoe Decision
if you are close to Md ,I have a 310b deere I havent used in 5 years .

I'm in Georgia. Found a nice John Deere backhoe attachment up there too, but too far for me.
How much does that tlb weigh? I'm limited to about 11,000 lbs. with my trailer. Pm me a price.

/ Backhoe Decision #19  
If you're really going to use the backhoe regularly, you'll be WAY better off with a "real" TLB, or even a Mini-Ex. Hydraulics are going to be a BUNCH faster.

/ Backhoe Decision #20  
RoyJackson;4645873BTW said:
...remember that the 4300 series tractors has aluminum casting for the transmission (I had a 4400 before the 4520), so make sure you get a frame that can handle the extra loads. The plates used for my 4520 are quite similar to those used on the 4300, so the design should be robust enough for your tractor.

Well, there were (and are) a lot of 4x00 and 4x10 series Deeres out there with backhoes.
A couple important things to remember are:
a) Stabilizers are for stabilizing, not lifting. In the 447 and 448 manuals, Deere recommends leaving the rear tires on the ground with the stabilizers down
b) Understand the limitations of the backhoe. It's not a 20 ton purpose built machine.
c) (My own experience using a purpose built backhoe) If the ground is frozen, don't use the backhoe to break through. All you'll do is bounce around and abuse the machine (we used a jackhammer way back in 1968)

Personally, I would never lend out my tractor, with or without the backhoe attached. If a neighbor needs some digging, I'll do it for them.

Last edited: