Backhoe Decision

/ Backhoe Decision #21  
Too much money. I have found some tlbs locally for around $7500.00
Might be the best way to go.

Unless you have ongoing work, renting on occasion might be a better way to go. Those mini-excavators can do a lot of work!

/ Backhoe Decision #22  
I don't understand the high prices for backhoe attachments for tractors. For that kind of money, a person can buy a used REAL backhoe and have a much more capable machine, as well as being a second machine.

I've had a (real) backhoe and there's no way I'd buy a backhoe attachment for my tractor. It'd be like trying to paint a house with a tooth brush. A real backhoe would be MUCH more efficient in work performed, and would sell a lot quicker than an attachment when it came time.

Buying a REAL (16 yr. old) backhoe is EXACTLY what I did 30 years ago.
I waited more than 18 months until a dealer found me a cemetery trade in with 1300 hrs.
My TLB has only a 10' reach, (Ford made it in 10 ft., 13 ft. and 15 ft.), though I wish it were 13'
I did not want a big, heavy, monster, clunker machine.
It has FANTASTIC breakout force, FAR BETTER than any aftermarket unit.
It REALLY WILL dig out stumps, etc.,...... without just playing with them.
If the OP does buy a TLB, sometimes it too will not be big enough, but he will be a lot happier with a REAL hoe than an aftermarket toy!
My TLB is now 46 years old! Paid for itself MANY TIMES over! Currently has 1850 hrs.
Just went completely through it, and painted it CAT yellow.
Looks sharp! Lotsa new parts, and new decals. Almost like new!

My second machine is a freshly restored, 1000 hr. 1920 Ford 4x4 FEL.

I'm gettin kinda old now, so I enjoy making my old stuff look like new.
Sure do wish I could make ME look like new also.

Last edited:
   / Backhoe Decision #23  
I would be patent and look for a good used JD frame mount for that tractor. You should be able to get a hoe and the frame mount for your tractor at a price that's half of what you have listed if you just wait for the right deal. Even paying cross country shipping will bring you in way below what you have quoted in your post. I think all of the advise given so far has merit, everyone has a different set of circumstances. The tractor with a frame mount hoe will cause a large jump in resale value, top value with a frame mount hoe. The frame mount takes the weight and load exerted by the hoe and puts it where it belongs, on the frame of the tractor and not on the 3 point. As far as size, how many of us at home need a full size hoe, few I'd suspect out side of the AG world, I've found the 8'6" on mine to be more than enough. As far as changing back and forth, I can have my hoe off, and the 3 point arms on in less than 20 min. and not work to hard doing it. Going from 3 point arms to the hoe is easy, it self mounts using the backhoe's hydraulic system, even less work. Yes, a backhoe is going to cost some, but it's always available to you at home. Most of what you have spent on the hoe will come back to you when you sell. When you consider what you would spend on rentals, or a older backhoe for that single purpose, and you also consider how much will come back when you sell, buying that used frame mounted backhoe ends up being much cheaper than the asking price in the long run, even less when you consider what rentals are going to cost. At the prices you have quoted in your post, I'd never justify buying a new one, would never own a 3 point mount either. I can't say for sure on your 4300, but my 970 uses the bell housing as part of the tractor frame. A 3 point hoe uses the tractor frame for the load generated by the hoe. Cracked, broken bell housings and even some tractors broken in half have resulted with some models. A frame mounted hoe distributes the load much more safely than hanging a 1000 lb. tool on the 3 point arms, and then loading it up more using it.
Chris

/ Backhoe Decision #24  
I would be patent and look for a good used JD frame mount for that tractor. You should be able to get a hoe and the frame mount for your tractor at a price that's half of what you have listed if you just wait for the right deal.

Yeah, you can save quite a bit buying a used factory backhoe attachment. As I'd written in a previous post, the 4300 can use the 47, 48, 447 and 448 attachments with no modifications other than installing the mounts (and, of course, the Power Beyond kit, if not currently installed).
Finding a compatible backhoe may not be as much of a problem as finding the mounting plates and the power beyond kit (which is no longer available, as a kit).
You might try salvage yards for some of the components.

/ Backhoe Decision
Yeah, you can save quite a bit buying a used factory backhoe attachment. As I'd written in a previous post, the 4300 can use the 47, 48, 447 and 448 attachments with no modifications other than installing the mounts (and, of course, the Power Beyond kit, if not currently installed).
Finding a compatible backhoe may not be as much of a problem as finding the mounting plates and the power beyond kit (which is no longer available, as a kit).
I was able to order the power beyond kit from green farm parts. Have it already installed. May check shipping costs on some of the used ones I have found. Buying sight unseen is a gamble too.

/ Backhoe Decision

My cousin has a Case 580 CK that I borrowed one time, but it is too heavy for my trailer, so I had to drive it the 12 miles to my place to use it. Quite a machine, bit I just need one of my own so I can work when I want to. Renting is an option, but I have projects that pop up from time to time, and I don't want to have to feel pressured to get something done to minimize costs.

/ Backhoe Decision #27  
I recently was able to order a Woods BH75 with sub-frame to fit my tractor, power beyond kit, and in the color I wanted from a local dealer for under $6k. I picked it up from the dealer on a pallet and I will be doing the install myself when I get time and a good break in the weather. The Woods BH75 does not require the 3pt arms be removed when the BH is mounted to the sub-frame on my tractor which I liked. The sub-frame is made by Woods and is designed for the specific model of tractor. It looks to me to be almost identical to the tractor manufacturer's frame which is no longer available.

/ Backhoe Decision
I recently was able to order a Woods BH75 with sub-frame to fit my tractor, power beyond kit, and in the color I wanted from a local dealer for under $6k. I picked it up from the dealer on a pallet and I will be doing the install myself when I get time and a good break in the weather. The Woods BH75 does not require the 3pt arms be removed when the BH is mounted to the sub-frame on my tractor which I liked. The sub-frame is made by Woods and is designed for the specific model of tractor. It looks to me to be almost identical to the tractor manufacturer's frame which is no longer available.

Sounds like a good deal. I haven't found any Woods dealers in my area. What is the name of your dealer? Location?

/ Backhoe Decision #29  
The dealer that sold me the Woods BH is located in central VA and they have been great to deal with over the years. Their website is : Ridgeview New Holland

/ Backhoe Decision
Thanks for that information!