Big sockets and torque wrenches

/ Big sockets and torque wrenches #21  
I have a 3/4" Ingersol Rand air impact model #IR2141 that will do 1200 ft. lbs. I think on the lowest setting it would work fine. It is a popular, and good, air impact. You may want to see if you know anyone who has one. I bought it when I had a backhoe and a dozer. I was afraid that I'd need the 1" drive, but the ole IR 2141 worked fine.

/ Big sockets and torque wrenches
I did a search on sharpening the blades. Lots of folks seem to use torque wrenches on the bolts holding the floppy blades. They're speced at about the same torque, 433-435 ft-lbs, as the hitch pins. Don't see why the torque there is so critical either.

I'd think my buying a piece of pipe to put over the end of my expensive Sears 3/4" drive handle ought to do fine. Is main blade rotation a problem when you're sticking the socket through the top access hole in the brush hog deck? I'd think the hole ought to hold things in place. (with tractor shut down, of course)

Ralph

/ Big sockets and torque wrenches #23  
I bought one of those "GIANT" adjustable wrenches from TSC.. I keep two pipes.. a 2 footer.. and a 4 footer.

/ Big sockets and torque wrenches #24  
RalphVA,

Look at Harbor Freight Tools, I purchased a set 3/4 sockets and wrenches that go up to 2" for 39.99 each. Also purchased metric at the same time.

JD4600 with 460FEL with grapple fork, pallet fork and 7'6" Western Snow Plow, JD LX279, 84" KK finishing mower, 84" KK Landscape Box, 84" KK Landscape Rake, 84" KK Blade, and 72" KK Bush Hog, 7' Northern Tool Backhoe, Bri Mar 6X10 Dump Trailer, 20' Rugged Road Equipment Trailer.

Greg

/ Big sockets and torque wrenches #25  
A torque wrench with 433 ft-lbs capacity will likely cost more than your cutter did. I found one at MSC for $800. 6pt 3/4" drive sockets are available at $30 each.

While I have quite a collection of craftsman brand tools myself, you'll find that most people who earn their living with thier tools take it to the next level. proto snap-on mac etc. I don't think you can beat craftsman's warranty for the $$$. Depot & Lowes might meet it, their tools are similar quality and price levels...

/ Big sockets and torque wrenches #26  
"...I'd think the hole ought to hold things in place."

Why is it everytime I read that phrase, Wile E. Coyote comes to mind ? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I wouldn't think a "hole" could hold anything...'cept maybe air.

That's it. Enough candy for me.

/ Big sockets and torque wrenches #27  
That's the approach I took too.
Now I don't care if it's 1 1/4" or 32mm.

/ Big sockets and torque wrenches #28  
I'd be careful with any sockets you got from Harbor Fright! The 3/4" sockets I got from there literally explode when I try to use them with my IR 3/4" impact. Sorry to say, but they are totally junk and will likely only get you hurt and be fodder for law suits! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif Best advice: take them back or throw them away before they get you hurt.

/ Big sockets and torque wrenches #29  
"The 3/4" sockets I got from there literally explode when I try to use them with my IR 3/4" impact"

That's why you should use "impact sockets" with impact wrenches. That's why impact sockets exist.

/ Big sockets and torque wrenches #30  
I was going to say impact sockets form harbor freight too they work just as well as most, sure I've broken a few of them, but at the price for something you only use one or two times EVER then the cost is worth trying the inexpensive ones and btw if it breaks take it back and they will replace it too! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I belive they even have the torque multiplier wrenches too! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I used to have to use one quite often in the air force, putting planes back together and all... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

one we had weighed nearly as much as I did back then! lol /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif 192 lbs when I joined, left basic training at 122 and left EOS at 164, (though I admit I was in good shape from weight lifting, the last couple years I was in... Cept for the busted up back vertibre! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif )

Mark M