Big sockets and torque wrenches

/ Big sockets and torque wrenches #41  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I used a long crowbar attached to my 3/4" handle via 2 hose clamps )</font>

hose clamps???? that sounds downright dangerous, a pipe is alot simpler and alot safer!

/ Big sockets and torque wrenches #42  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( My next set will be Crapsman, not even going to bother getting impact as I am close to a store.
)</font>

please dont do that, not cause its wrong to sears, but because when a standard socket explodes its very sharp pieces, impact sockets are made softer so that they dont shrapnelize, they more like split and deform if they do fail, and they are alot thicker. i had a regular socket explode when i used it on an impact once, sent a piece of the sharp metal into my leg, left a heck of a puncture, and bled like crazy, i have had on impact socket fail and it was a much more controled ordeal, just sorta split off a piece, no flying bits with sharp edges

/ Big sockets and torque wrenches #43  
I've never had a socket to explode, only burst and crack.

I suppose it can and does happen. I will keep that in mind.

/ Big sockets and torque wrenches
Bought a new air compressor yesterday at TSC. It pumps 5.0 SCFM @ 90 psi. It's a Clarke, oil type compressor. Seems to be well made and pumps A LOT more air than my 10 year old one that gave out. Checked the air wrenches at TSC. The ones that do up to 550 ft lbs take 5.0 SCFM of air.

I've a couple other tanks that I can daisey chain together, if needed. The tank on this one is small.

It is only $89.

There's a good outfit locally for impact sockets and the ONLY one locally that seems to have them in metric. It's Dorsey. Their # is 800-368-2000 if anyone is looking for some.

Ralph

/ Big sockets and torque wrenches #45  
i have never had one do any more than split on a manual tool, but on an impact they will "explode"

/ Big sockets and torque wrenches #46  
Oh yeah, Pittsburgh "impact" sockets will most certainly explode. I have personally had it happen to me too many times. Never again!

/ Big sockets and torque wrenches #47  
Ralph,

Air supply is like horse power; you can never have too much.

But an impact gun that "requires" a certain air flow can be run on much lower if your patient. It wil just require you to stop and let the compressor catch up. Probably wear out the compressor faster due to the many starts per hour and resulting heat but for ocasional use, no problem.

The flow rate will not effect the guns power that much. It helps if you avoid running the gun under no or low load. On my IR thunder gun, it seems to use the most air in running the loose nut off the bolt than it does in actually losening the nut.
I ran this gun on a wimpy little oiless compressor until I finally broke down and got a real compressor.

Fred