Big sockets and torque wrenches

/ Big sockets and torque wrenches #31  
Maybe I was too ticked to precisely spell it out; they were labeled "impact sockets", and they are pure junk. They are a liability for Harbor Freight and a danger for anyone who uses them. Unless you find a name brand item that Harbor Freight carries, nearly all of their other stuff is not fit for use! Junk! Trash!

Those who know me and have seen my past posts know I do not make a habit of really venting and naming specific poor quality junk, but if you buy a "no name" item from Harbor Freight, you deserve what you get; junk! I've been injured and have had things in my barn torn up from their cheap spring compressors coming apart, and I've had scratches put in my tractor and vehicles from the junk impact sockets they peddle there. Pittsboro sockets and wrenches are what you give to a relative who you hate, but have to buy a Christmas gift for. Sorry, I'm not backing off one bit here! Junk is junk!

If you're considering buying tools from Harbor Freight, do yourself a favor and move up about ten times in quality and go buy the tool at Big Lots! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif You'll likely get better quality there!

/ Big sockets and torque wrenches #32  
Oh, come on now Dargo. You're holding back on us... What do you really think of cheap tools from HF? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Just kidding. Sorry, couldn't resist. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

If I may, I believe you're referring to "Pittsburgh" brand, not "Pittsboro". A search on their web site came up with 0 hits on the latter, 367 items on the former.

I'll be returning the 1/2" impact sockets I recently received (with that name brand /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif)

/ Big sockets and torque wrenches #33  
I've run into stuff that just laughs at a long cheater bar. I got a torque multiplier off eBay. It has a 1" drive out and a 3/4" drive in. It takes off everything I've used it on without me breaking a sweat. They come up frequently enough on eBay that you can get a deal.

I've got a bunch of structural bolts to remove from some bridge girders in the future. With the torque multiplier, the nuts might screech but they will come off. It's one of those tools that makes a nasty task no problemo.

/ Big sockets and torque wrenches #34  
Yeah, I guess I couldn't make out the complete name from the itsy bitsy pieces that were left after I tried using my impact with them. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Big sockets and torque wrenches #35  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Pittsboro sockets and wrenches are what you give to a relative who you hate, but have to buy a Christmas gift for.)</font>

Made me laugh, Dargo - I can relate.

I've never been in a H.F. store, but there is a Northern Tool on my way home from work in the city. Before last night, I've never bought anything there more than plastic parts bins and cheap metric open-end wrenches to leave in the tractor tool box. But my wife wants a pressure washer for Christmas (really!) and I know she'll never use it for anything but spraying dirt off the siding of the house and her chicken coop. So I stopped in at N.T. and was surprised to find a mid-range pressure washer with a Honda engine, a name-brand pump, and a warranty on sale for less than $100 more than the cheap crap model, so I bought it. Time will tell I guess.

/ Big sockets and torque wrenches #36  
Dargo,

Sorry you have had such bad luck with Harbor Freight.

I have had some problems with Harbor Freight Tools, but I take the item back and they always give me a full refund or replacement no questions asked.

Sears and Snap On which are also 4 times the price have also come apart and not as easy to get replacements.

Then again, where else can I get a digital volt meter that I can run over with a tractor for $4.99, and not cry because I have lost a bunch a money, just a little pride.

Harbor Freight has been emailing specials that are incredible, digital calipers $10.00, Auto darkening welding helmet $29.99, none of these items would have been purchased, if they had not been so inexpensive.

What do you think Cummins Tool?

JD4600 with 460FEL with grapple fork, pallet fork and 7'6" Western Snow Plow, JD LX279, 84" KK finishing mower, 84" KK Landscape Box, 84" KK Landscape Rake, 84" KK Blade, and 72" KK Bush Hog, 7' Northern Tool Backhoe, Bri Mar 6X10 Dump Trailer, 20' Rugged Road Equipment Trailer.

Greg

/ Big sockets and torque wrenches #37  
Gcrabb:

the cummings stuff is really down there even for import tools. sorry to say it, but I tend to stay away after trying a few items. HF I still pick up the less used stuff. as for thos 4.99 digital multi meters, you can get them for 2.99 on sale every now and again /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I have I think 6 o 7 of them as they are cheap enough to buy a new one and keep one in each and every car tractor barn and or garage! this past week I dropped AND BROKE a $299.99 meter at work form a mere 6' the HF ones I have have survived with out fail drops of 3 times that distance! ones in fact I figured well time for a trip to the car for a replacement, only to pick them up nad see that they still work! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif though the one I dropped that distance was I belive one of the high buck ones, I think I paid 9.99 for it some 8 years back! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

anyhow I got one of the cummings trucks comming by here on and off take a close look if you use tools daily you can see & feel a tool to know if it is worth while or not for the most part, these cummings ones are pretty muchy 90% crap and 10% re-conditioned stuff, (some with good name brands too. just have to PICK and CHOOSE very carefully and inspect stuff before leaving. if it has a plug try and find a spot to run it too.

MarkM

/ Big sockets and torque wrenches #38  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( the cummings stuff is really down there even for import tools )</font>

while i do agree that cummins is in general a step below the others, i have been very pleased with the impact sockets i got from them, im sure if i did like whats his name and put them on a proffesional grade high powered impact then yea they would explode, but on our dewalt electric impact gun they have performed flawlessly, as well as with my homemade 3/4 drive slugging wrench adapter and a large hammer. they are not of course as tough as snap on impact sockets, but they arnt realy meant to be, they are a lower grade tool, you wouldnt buy a cheapo chain saw from k mart and expect it to hold up using it logging 5 days a week. i dont see why he would buy an expensive impact gun then cheap sockets, if he had a cheap impact like harbor freight sells then they may very well have lasted longer since the gun has less power

/ Big sockets and torque wrenches #39  
I'd be careful hammering them on with a impact wrench. Most decent 1/2" drive are over 550 ft. lbs. at maximum setting.

If you do wear some eye protection........J

/ Big sockets and torque wrenches #40  
I've had some good luck outta the wally world stanley sockets.

Hammered on quite a few of the 1/2" drive regular sockets with an impact wrench with just a few scratches.

My next set will be Crapsman, not even going to bother getting impact as I am close to a store. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif