Build a set of steel wheels Save my rubber

/ Build a set of steel wheels Save my rubber #21  
I say build em! You can make them as aggressive as you want with some deep lugs. Do it. It would be a fun project too.

/ Build a set of steel wheels Save my rubber #22  
GO foam filled like these guys said. They will run over stabs and thorns and knives and old scrap metal and anything. I had some guys spraying herbicide for a contract where they were having to cut stems over 2"s and then spray everything less than 6ft with liquid foliar spray. They used an old ford tractor. IT had foam filled fronts and one of them had no caseing on the top and the sidewall was torn with it exposing the foam, still held shape and rode fine. They took their bran new air filled fronts off and put this set of foam filled ones on the front so that when they ran over the stabs that they would no puncture those new several hundred tires that were just bought for the other set of rims.

/ Build a set of steel wheels Save my rubber #23  
I am thinking I would like to build a set of steel wheels for my jd 790 .
I am in the process of clearing some land and i know i am gonna get whats coming to me .
I could aquire a spare set of rims and some steel and fabricate a set . Never the less ! I think a set of steel wheels would be great in the woods and fields . My only worry is the shock load imposed on the tractor for lack of cushion of the tires . But shock load might be minimal . Especialy on dirt It has been done before and i wonder why you never see steel wheels now ? might save a lot on tires
... Poor traction, poor performance crossing obstacles, waste power/high rolling losses, poor fuel economy, high soil compaction, ruf ride. ...

/ Build a set of steel wheels Save my rubber
I don`t think that old trike popper video is really fair and he was pullin till max smoke ! I love my tractor and try not to abuse it ! I apreciate all the input and thank you all ! I think yall don`t understand the ground around here . We get stuck in the mud . This time of the year you better walk first . Foam filling is something I need to look into . I`m not against rubber tires ! I do not have any idea to throw my rubber tires away ! I am trying to reclaim farmland that the pine trees and gums have tookover ! My plan Chop the trees . delimb em . drag em to a pile . grind the stumps . Get a bush and bog disc harrow and pull it untill I can start planting row crops again ! Just like the old farmers did around here many years ago ! Except my tractor is neater has hydrolics ! I got a woods stump grinder ! Grandad had a 600 ford a couple of farmall cubs a pack of boys dynomite and ammonium nitrate for the really big stumps !

Last edited:
   / Build a set of steel wheels Save my rubber #26  
The thresheree park is right down the road and I go every year. This video I found shows lots of old tractors with steel wheels and some of the other cool stuff. enjoyhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-gRc1WJx2A

/ Build a set of steel wheels Save my rubber #27  
use money you were going to waste on steel rims and more steel to turn them into steel wheels....

and buy a real set of logging chains.

Daily3734-L.jpg

/ Build a set of steel wheels Save my rubber #28  
If it is a traction issue, chains or track adapters or steel wheels will be good. Except adapters are the price of the tractor or more.
If it is a flat proof issue, how about a spare set of rims that are flat proof foam filled.... ?

Be sure to post results.....
Good luck

/ Build a set of steel wheels Save my rubber #29  
If it is a traction issue, chains or track adapters or steel wheels will be good. Except adapters are the price of the tractor or more.
If it is a flat proof issue, how about a spare set of rims that are flat proof foam filled.... ?

Be sure to post results.....
Good luck

Agreed people forget that tires are a primary spring on cars and trucks for suspension loads. And the only spring on a tractor. You axles vertical loads will be driven through the roof going to steel this would be very hard on the tractor and operator. on cars suspension accelerations/loads can go from 30 G's of with a 60 or 70 series tires going to a 40 series low profile could easily double those accelerations. Car OEMs have had to beef up suspension components shock towers etc to handle impact loads on low profile tires

/ Build a set of steel wheels Save my rubber #30  
I looked at foam filleld tires for our ZTR. I don't remember the exact cost to fill small tires but it was prohibitively expensive.