Building a Shop / Weld Table

/ Building a Shop / Weld Table #31  
   / Building a Shop / Weld Table #32  
Nice tables are great! I had a chance to buy one made from 4x4 and when I got there, he had several. He was looking for a way to get one really nice one moved "up to Iowa. Turned out I had a way to get it moved (and did) and ended up with several tables and 1 inch plate tops. Nothing is too heavy for these tables!
David from jax

/ Building a Shop / Weld Table
I modified some inexpensive floor locks to make them adjustable and welded one on each corner of my steel castered weld table.

View attachment 542215

Photo above: Left floor lock OEM. Right one Big Barnerized.

View attachment 542216View attachment 542217

View attachment 542218

Not only can the table be locked in place, but it's now quick and easy to fine tune for levelling.

I'm pretty sure I'm stealing that idea :) Even if I don't make them adjustable that is a great way to mount them!

/ Building a Shop / Weld Table #34  
Me too, I like that idea. Much easier than what I was going to do with threaded rod.

/ Building a Shop / Weld Table #35  
My fantasy is a pedal you push with ur foot to swing casters down and lift the table for movement. Then step on the pdeal and release a latch to set the table back down on it's pads. I'm just not smart enough to design it.

I think Terry could.

/ Building a Shop / Weld Table #36  
Richard: I doubt Terry could.

BUT he was smart enough to BUY such a device.

Have a closer look at my photos. Stepping down on the pedal raises the table so that the casters clear the ground and the table is stabilized and level. Using your foot to push down on either of the "winged" rods on either side retracts the(spring loaded) locks and the casters are in contact with the floor once again.

The only mod I did was to make them adjustable for levelling.

I know it's not EXACTLY what you had in mind but adjusting the table to be perfectly level makes some projects way easier to set up for welding.

/ Building a Shop / Weld Table #37  
I really like your setup Terry. It's much more user friendly than mine.

I still have faith that you could design what I was looking for. After struggling to get my cutting table extension to fold down I didn't even attempt the retractable feet.

I totally agree about leveling the table. That's a biggie for me.

Not sure I mentioned in this thread, but my feet are coarse thread bolts. I should have used fine thread. Would take less effort to raise/level the table.

I like your setup a lot!!!!

A well designed and durable table is a valuable tool for the shop. I use mine for many things beyond metal works.

I have decided on table size and the casters, I think 😃 Top size will be 30" x 60". I took a piece of cardboard and cut it to 36 x 60, put it on a roll around cart, put stuff under it to build up to the approximate height. Glad I did, i found out that a table top in reality is bigger than the table top in your mind 😃 I cut it down to 30 wide and it fits my space much better.

The casters I am looking at are 6" from CasterConnection, cast iron hub with a polyurethane tread. Each caster is rated for 1200lbs. I will use 4 floor locks - planning on stealing Big Barn's method of attachment. What do you think?

/ Building a Shop / Weld Table #39  
That was a smart move making the cardboard template

How to mount receiver? Anybody have any closeup photos of how the receiver is cut/welded in?

Is the receiver really short and welded in front of the table top frame? I'm thinking not...
Should it be welded under the table top frame and side by side with the leg?
Maybe "through" the frame and welded to the table top and the frame it goes through?