Building a Shop / Weld Table

/ Building a Shop / Weld Table #42  
These photos may (or maybe not) give you some ideas.

IMG_4874.JPG

IMG_4875.JPGIMG_4876.JPGIMG_4877.JPG

The second photo shows how I notched the receivers alá BukitCase's suggestion. An alternative would be to cut a 45° notch off the top of your "stinger" tubes.

/ Building a Shop / Weld Table
   / Building a Shop / Weld Table #45  
You mentioned Wheeler Metal in Springfield? They sell welding tables most likely cheaper than you can build one. Save your money for more toys.

/ Building a Shop / Weld Table
You mentioned Wheeler Metal in Springfield? They sell welding tables most likely cheaper than you can build one. Save your money for more toys.

Yep, Wheeler is where I will buy most of the material. Square stock from them, top from Rose Metal. I looked at their tables and you are right, they are cheaper than I can build. Part of this project is for me to learn to weld better and build with metal. Also their tables are to big for my space. That 8' table with the 1/2" top is nice, but I would have to climb over it�� My Max length is 5'

/ Building a Shop / Weld Table #47  
MOTractor;5024606. Part of this project is for me to learn to weld better and build with metal.[/QUOTE said:
I completely understand. Just thought I would throw it out there.

/ Building a Shop / Weld Table #48  
Yep, Wheeler is where I will buy most of the material. Square stock from them, top from Rose Metal. I looked at their tables and you are right, they are cheaper than I can build. Part of this project is for me to learn to weld better and build with metal. Also their tables are to big for my space. That 8' table with the 1/2" top is nice, but I would have to climb over it�� My Max length is 5'

They must mark up their materials quite a bit. Evidently they want customers to buy their tables. I bought a 36x60x3/4" top plate for $100.

I'd consider 1/2" top too thin.

I totally agree with your size situation. You can have too much table. Size needs to match location and use.

There's a lot of satisfaction in building your own too. Looking forward to pics and review when you are done!!!

/ Building a Shop / Weld Table #49  
Yep, Wheeler is where I will buy most of the material. Square stock from them, top from Rose Metal. I looked at their tables and you are right, they are cheaper than I can build. Part of this project is for me to learn to weld better and build with metal. Also their tables are to big for my space. That 8' table with the 1/2" top is nice, but I would have to climb over it My Max length is 5'

8’ Long, but do you know width and height? Didn’t see any dimensions on the web site other than 1/2” thick top. I wish they had a location closer to us.

Extreme Heavy Duty Welding Table | Wheeler Metals

/ Building a Shop / Weld Table #50  
Based on the angle of the pic I'm guessing the table top has no support frame under it. Legs butt welded to the plate. At 8' length that table will not be rigid if working in the middle. Would be a good starter I guess if a person doesn't feel confident in their welding skills. But then why does that person need a welding table. :)

I think MOTractor is on the right track building his own!!!! He'll build a much stronger and more useful table than those. :)