bx screen cleaning- caution

/ bx screen cleaning- caution #41  
JT
It goes out horizontally, toward the driver's side rear tire. Approach from the rear of the tractor.

That is the location of the strainer. As Mentioned by another, there is a "keeper" or clamp plate that holds the strainer in place. The bolt that holds that is 12mm. What I did to help coax the strainer out is to use a large screwdriver. Working from the back of the tractor with the screwdriver pointed toward the front I put one side of the blade in the slot for the clamp, after removing the clamp and bolt, and the other on the machined area where the clamp bolt was and twisted. It came out with very little persuasion... I probably had something between the screwdriver and the machined part of the tranny case against which I was prying, but it was a while ago...

Last edited:
   / bx screen cleaning- caution #42  
Good news is I haven't put the mowing deck back on yet. (If it matters from where I now need to be looking) Bad news is that it looks like I wasn't in the right location. Back to the pits. Thanks guys!

/ bx screen cleaning- caution #43  
A mower deck wont really be in the way of getting to the strainer, but my backhoe being on did not simplify that task!

/ bx screen cleaning- caution #44  
That is the location of the strainer. As Mentioned by another, there is a "keeper" or clamp plate that holds the strainer in place. The bolt that holds that is 12mm. What I did to help coax the strainer out is to use a large screwdriver. Working from the back of the tractor with the screwdriver pointed toward the front I put one side of the blade in the slot for the clamp, after removing the clamp and bolt, and the other on the machined area where the clamp bolt was and twisted. It came out with very little persuasion... I probably had something between the screwdriver and the machined part of the tranny case against which I was prying, but it was a while ago...

Messicks arrow is pointing to the strainer, which is inside the casing, obviously.
Just to the left of that arrow is the head of the strainer. Yes, remove the keeper bolt and the little keeper 1" flap bar. I still prefer to use a toothless Channel Locks, rocking, rotating the head and coaxing it out. I preferred not to use a screw driver or anything that might mark up the head of the strainer. YMMV.

/ bx screen cleaning- caution #45  
:)
Messicks arrow is pointing to the strainer, which is inside the casing, obviously. Just to the left of that arrow is the head of the strainer. Thanks, that's exactly where it is.

Yes, remove the keeper bolt and the little keeper 1" flap bar. I still prefer to use a toothless Channel Locks, rocking, rotating the head and coaxing it out. I preferred not to use a screw driver or anything that might mark up the head of the strainer. YMMV.

Found it and while just checking how big of a job it was going to be to get it out and while making sure the 12MM socket was the right size and checking how tight the bolt was I just went ahead and did it. Nothing on screen, fluid turning a bit dark and lost less than a quart, my plug was to small so had to hold it in:) which is why I lost most of the quart of fluid. I have extra fluid so no problem and won't reuse the small amount I lost.

StradbashRe: bx screen cleaning- caution
A mower deck wont really be in the way of getting to the strainer, but my backhoe being on did not simplify that task! bp fickRe: bx screen cleaning- caution
JT

It goes out horizontally, toward the driver's side rear tire. Approach from the rear of the tractor.

From Messick's How To shownuffRe: bx screen cleaning- caution
johnthomas, looks like u at the wrong hole its over behind the left rear wheel...if you remove the rear wheel its a lot easier to pull out the strainer the first time

Having trouble answering these different posts in one reply. Thanks for where it's located, thanks for cork idea, the mowing deck doesn't matter now that I know where it is and yes, it is much easier or will be much easier to remove with the rear tire removed. Also Thanks to who ever said the keeper bolt has a 12MM head on it.

/ bx screen cleaning- caution #46  

Nothing on screen, fluid turning a bit dark and lost less than a quart,

I'm not sure I'd worry about the darkening fluid, at this point. My pondering is about Kubota changed from the 50 hours drop to saying its good for the first 300 hours. They surely ought to know, but I am left wondering a wee bit whether this is mostly politically oriented in motivation. I am a sober conservationist myself, but I still .... I can change mine for less than $70 given the 10% off my dealer is running on fluid. Just thinking out loud. Don't mean to re-direct this thread to that conversation again.

Glad you got it done, John.

/ bx screen cleaning- caution #47  
it is much easier or will be much easier to remove with the rear tire removed.

Although I did not go out and try it tonight.. ;) I am reasonably certain that I can remove the strainer (using the method I described) with MUCH less effort than it would take me to remove the wheel/tire while doing no damage other than altering the surface texture of the strainer a tiny bit.

/ bx screen cleaning- caution #48  

Although I did not go out and try it tonight.. ;) I am reasonably certain that I can remove the strainer (using the method I described) with MUCH less effort than it would take me to remove the wheel/tire while doing no damage other than altering the surface texture of the strainer a tiny bit.

I used your method of working the strainer out with the screw driver after removing the keeper bolt and plate. That was not issue. Never touched strainer itself other than with my fingers only the head bolt of strainer so no issue with damage to strainer. I don't have a BH on my BX2660. I was laying on the ground trying to get into the small space with the very limited clearance between the back side of the tire mounting plate with my fat body and fat hands. I also had my tiller on the back so it also created a bit of an issue getting into the proper working position. If I had a BH on that tractor I would have lifted the rear tire off the ground with the BH arm and gotten to it easier. I have the BH on my BX25 so it will be easier to get it up off the ground and reach the bolt. Since I have air wrench and a jack, the next time I do the BX2660. With the BX25 I will remove the left rear tire since I can lift it off the ground and get the tire off in less than a minute with the air wrench. Did I say how thrilled I am with my new air wrench that I've had for months but had never used?:):D I'm not saying the left rear tire has to be removed, it doesn't. If I didn't have the air wrench then I would make sure no implement was attached on the 3ph and work on the ground like I did but I do have the air wrench so the tire comes off and on so easy, I believe. Maybe rear tire is alot worse than front tire but I'll see.
Wasn't concerned that fluid was not clear, was just making a statement. It wasn't black, just darkened some.

/ bx screen cleaning- caution #49  
If someone is going to use the cork or rubber plug method, which is the preferred way for someone working alone, it really has to be 1" tapered down a bit on one end. That hole is larger than 3/4", that's for sure.

Unscientifically, reported here by TBN folk, 90% seem to find no shavings at all in their screens. Those who do find them at 50 hours, don't seem to report any later at say, 100 hours. This suggests to me that the slivers are from manufacturing and most of the time, the cleaning processes at the factory work well. Just an observation.

/ bx screen cleaning- caution #50  
If someone is going to use the cork or rubber plug method, which is the preferred way for someone working alone, it really has to be 1" tapered down a bit on one end. That hole is larger than 3/4", that's for sure.

Unscientifically, reported here by TBN folk, 90% seem to find no shavings at all in their screens. Those who do find them at 50 hours, don't seem to report any later at say, 100 hours. This suggests to me that the slivers are from manufacturing and most of the time, the cleaning processes at the factory work well. Just an observation.
I agree with all of this. My plug will be a bit bigger next time when I do the 50 hour on my BX25 and F2680. Don't need plug after that since they're total drain anyway. I wrapped it in black tape but I'm going to search for some type of rubber tapered plug next time and if I can't find one, then more black tape.:)