BX2230 Running Issue

/ BX2230 Running Issue #21  
Water or Dirt in fuel that's where you want to look.check my previous post.97.6% thats the problem

/ BX2230 Running Issue #22  
I had to run a couple of tanks...
Concur. I was disheartened at first because my 'fix' didn't seem to work. As Mr. TripleR indicates, it started to abade over time rather than immediately. I haven't had any issues this entire mow season, if memory serves. I had the problem really bad the end of next year. Although mine only actually 'stalled' one time. The rest of the times, it just 'slowed'.

/ BX2230 Running Issue #23  
TRiple R,

If the fuel conditiner solved it - great.

But if it does it again, take a hard look at the operator prsence system seat switch. If the bracket was bent and the plunger is not fully closed in some positons (like if you sit more on one side of the seat) possibly the switch with open and kill the power to the fuel pump solenoid.

This has been known to happen with light weight people (isn't that PC for you?) but I never have the problem myself at 250.

Might could be part of it if this happens again.

Good luck!

/ BX2230 Running Issue
I had to run a couple of tanks through mine to get it to completely clear up, if that doesn't do it, I am at a loss.

Cool. Will try that before going on to more "heroic" methods. ;) Thanks.

/ BX2230 Running Issue #25  
Could someone have added regular gas instead of diesel to the tank by accident. This problem is exactly the symptoms - unfortunately, I know.

/ BX2230 Running Issue #26  
TRiple R,

If the fuel conditiner solved it - great.

But if it does it again, take a hard look at the operator prsence system seat switch. If the bracket was bent and the plunger is not fully closed in some positons (like if you sit more on one side of the seat) possibly the switch with open and kill the power to the fuel pump solenoid.

This has been known to happen with light weight people (isn't that PC for you?) but I never have the problem myself at 250.

Might could be part of it if this happens again.

Good luck!

It very well may be the OPC system, as Yankee Clipper pointed out. If that's the case, you should definitely hear the fuel stop solenoid click just as the engine dies, and then click again as it starts going again (the same click you should hear just as you turn off the tractor, then again about 15 seconds later). I think your tractor has a key-stop timer relay which sends the signal to the fuel stop solenoid. It's possible that this timer is going bad. I think you should get the exact same clicking noise if you stand up off the seat while the tractor is in gear or the PTO is engaged.

The only way, electrically speaking, to kill the engine is to energize that relay, so you'd definitely be able to hear it click if your problem was electrical in nature.

On the other hand, if it's a fuel-related issue, the tractor's electrical system will not be trying to kill the engine, so there should definitely NOT be any accompanying solenoid click when it stalls.

Hope that helps to narrow it down.

Josh

/ BX2230 Running Issue #27  
I had something like this happen to me on my small tractor. With that machine my problem was that a vacuum was being created in the fuel tank as fuel was being used as the breather (in the gas cap) was filled with gunk. Air wasn't getting into the tank to replace the fuel being used. This created a vacuum and robbed the engine of fuel. It took me a long time to figure it out - almost a full season. My short-term fix: loosen the fuel cap. The longer term fix: clean out the breather hole in the cap.

Just something else simple to try.

/ BX2230 Running Issue #28  
Just a thought, but chase down the entire fuel line looking for soft places when it acts up. The fuel line could be closing in on it's self. THe best time to look would be when it acts up.

Also, if it is a safety switch issue, check the grounds and make sure they are good and clean. But since this is seemingly heat related, I am betting it is something in the fuel system unless there is a short that only occurs when it get's hot.

/ BX2230 Running Issue #29  
I had an almost identical problem with my BX2200, turned out that the fuel I purchased had gasoline in it. I changed the fuel filters, fuel pump and checked electrical before just trying draning the tank and got some fuel from a helpful neighbor- problem solved. I would recomend draining the tank completely and refilling with fresh fuel from another sourse.

/ BX2230 Running Issue #30  
Billy,

Did you finally figure out your issue. I have a BX1850 that seems to have the same symptoms. I bought it used from a dealer so have no idea what the previous owner has done to it.

The tractor seem to run great and has great power but after about an hour so so it will start to drop rpms almost like I'm closing the trottle and sometimes it completely stall. As far as I can tell it's not overheating or anything and I'm not getting any click from the fuel stop which I assume means it's not a safety shut off short circuit or anything.

If I notice the drop in rpms quick enough I can usually just disengage PTO clutch and stop moving and it will sit there and idle around 900-1000 rpms for a few seconds and finally picks up again. Once it starts doing this, it then seems to do it very often. If I let the tractor sit for a bit it seems to work again for awhile (seems to depend on how long I let it sit) and then the symptoms start again. If I let it sit overnight then I can start mowing again for an hour or so until the symptoms repeat all over again.