Can I pull it with my Titan?

/ Can I pull it with my Titan? #1  

Qapla

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC40D HST 4WD FEL/BH
We have a Farmtrac 360 DTC FEL/BH we haul with a 21' equipment trailer. I pull this with my 2007 Nissan Titan and a rear hitch.

We are planning on trading up to a Kubota TLB. He are looking at the L39 and the L45. These I can pull.

However, we have been offered an exceptionally good deal on the M59. My concern is :

Is this too much tractor to pull with my Titan?

The deal on the M59 is only a good deal if I don't have to buy a new truck - or I should say, an additional truck.

/ Can I pull it with my Titan? #2  
I have a 08 Titan 4x4 with the BIG TOW PACKAGE, and I would tow up to the limit with it. I sold a boat that weighed 10,000# that I sold to a guy in Baltimore MD and he towed it home from Indiana with zero issues.

I guess it all comes down to how your truck is equipped and what your total weight is but as you know the Titan is the toughest 1/2 ton out there in my eyes.

Chris

/ Can I pull it with my Titan? #3  
Well I did some checking and I hate to say it but its too much for even the Titan. The machine is shown at a weight of 8,350# alone and a 21' trailer has to be 2,500# alone. You add all the chains, ec and you going to be over 11,000#.

I would pass.

Here is a pic of my 08.

Chris

Attachments

• titan 1.jpg
    titan 1.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 156
   / Can I pull it with my Titan? #4  
as you know the Titan is the toughest 1/2 ton out there in my eyes.
:laughing:

As far as the original question - According to the Kubota website, that M59 weighs 8,344.5lbs and that's probably a dry weight without any fluids. According to the Nissan website, the "toughest 1/2 ton out there" has a tow capacity of just 9,500 lbs max. Those not-so-tough American trucks (Dodge-GM-Ford) all have tow capacities around 10,400lbs.

So that leaves your truck (assuming it's rated the same as the new Titan) with less than 1,000 lbs of tow capacity left. I HIGHLY doubt you will find a trailer that can haul over 4-tons and only weighs 1,000lbs empty. Maybe there is one out there but I haven't seen one. Heck, my little v-nose enclosed snowmobile trailer weighs 1,300lbs empty and only has a 3k lb GVWR.

I bet that tractor on a compatible trailer will be around 10.5k - 11,000lbs. Even with the higher tow capacity of these newer half-ton trucks, I still wouldn't want more than 10k behind any of them. That is more suited for a 3/4-ton truck.

/ Can I pull it with my Titan? #5  
I guess it all comes down to how your truck is equipped and what your total weight is but as you know the Titan is the toughest 1/2 ton out there in my eyes.

Chris

And here I thought you were a blue oval man. :)

/ Can I pull it with my Titan? #7  
I'm behind the times, but I'd be very hesitant to pull anything near 10K with a 1/2 ton. I've pulled 15K with a 3/4 ton and that was too much for sure.

I sit back and wonder about the new trucks, and it is tough to believe some of the 5th wheel campers guys are pulling with 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks.

Just seems like throwing an arrow backwards, and I'm guilty along with the rest of them.

I'd be comfortable with 5,000 - 7,000 lbs behind a 1/2 ton (correct motor, tranny and all).

7,000 - 12,000 behind a 3/4 ton

12,000 - 15,000 behind a 1 ton

And then commercial grade for much more than that.

I know I'm wrong technically based on some of the specs but man those trucks seem light to be pulling so much weight.

Joel

/ Can I pull it with my Titan? #8  
I'm behind the times, but I'd be very hesitant to pull anything near 10K with a 1/2 ton. I've pulled 15K with a 3/4 ton and that was too much for sure.

I sit back and wonder about the new trucks, and it is tough to believe some of the 5th wheel campers guys are pulling with 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks.

Just seems like throwing an arrow backwards, and I'm guilty along with the rest of them.

I'd be comfortable with 5,000 - 7,000 lbs behind a 1/2 ton (correct motor, tranny and all).

7,000 - 12,000 behind a 3/4 ton

12,000 - 15,000 behind a 1 ton

And then commercial grade for much more than that.

I know I'm wrong technically based on some of the specs but man those trucks seem light to be pulling so much weight.

Joel

1/2 ton trucks have changed a lot in recent years. I have 93 and 09 F150s and it is amazing the difference when towing.

/ Can I pull it with my Titan? #9  
I would not exceed manufacturer specs.

/ Can I pull it with my Titan? #10  
'Properly equiped' meaning what?

they usually include things like extra large tranny cooler, diff cooler, WD hitch, break controller, class 4 hitch, frame reinforcement etc

can also include things like
taller rear end gears
air bags
not the shinny bling bling 20" rims/tires (ie only on load range D/E tire option)
with the "big engine"
no additional cargo or passengers

basicly the stuff that comes on the "BIG TOW PACKAGE"

are people still blowing up the rear ends on those left and right?