Can someone explain to me why supersonic business flight didn't work out?

/ Can someone explain to me why supersonic business flight didn't work out? #42  
Moon missions led to amazing updates in science.
Including commercial aircraft, computers and miniaturization.

And yes velcro :)

/ Can someone explain to me why supersonic business flight didn't work out? #43  
Mmmmm. That's tasty!
"Coming soon to an off-grid homestead near you." ;) So much for, "I'll have what he's having."

Meanwhile, we hear that several of Starlink's satellites likely won't achieve full orbit due to 'stuff happens' getting 'em 'up there'. Expect them to go supersonic on their way in to someones yard, roof, stock tank, etc. ISS may do just so by ~2030 or recent NASA projections are a bit off.

Technology still can't predict the future, the weather, or whether Ukraine will invade Russia any time soon. 'Bad news' and reactions may travel at Mach one 'organically', rockets or low-bypass turbo-fans not required. See how far we've come since abaci and slide rules?

/ Can someone explain to me why supersonic business flight didn't work out? #44  
I never knew the plural of abacus. :unsure:

Learn something new every day. (y)

/ Can someone explain to me why supersonic business flight didn't work out?
Well, we got Tang out of it, what more could you ask for? :ROFLMAO:
You're comment is funny, but the irony is what could have been spent trying to help people and would the money have been "better spent"?

Long story short, if I can make pretty much getting to anywhere in the world within 24 hours, exactly how much am I willing to spend more to get there quicker?

Supersonic "commercial flights" really don't seem worth the investment unless the state is willing to give the manufacturer a crapload of money to build a plane a that isn't even approved yet, nor is guaranteed to actually happen ;)

/ Can someone explain to me why supersonic business flight didn't work out? #46  
It's not a question of if some technology could work, but more a question is if the technology applied to society is economically feasible?

That's a broad statement I understand, but for what it cost to put a man on the moon, exactly what was the return on investment since what, 1969?

We have billionaires now that can spend exactly how much time in space at what cost?

My only point is heck yeah, commercial flights could fly past the sound barrier, but at the end of the day, is it really worth it?

Interesting read...

apollo-11-moon-mission-cost

I'm glad I won't be around for when we can use a transporter like on the Enterprise NCC 1701 LOL

That said, the money spent on military technology generally permeates to civilian technology.
Some of the investment return was intangible, but one tangible return was that the moon mission was instrumental in the development of the integrated circuit. That alone more than paid for the moon mission.
Eric

/ Can someone explain to me why supersonic business flight didn't work out?
Some of the investment return was intangible, but one tangible return was that the moon mission was instrumental in the development of the integrated circuit. That alone more than paid for the moon mission.
Eric
You're smarter than me.

The bigger question is when you spend that kind of money, do you always get a "integrated circuit" back for the investment?

Exactly what will we learn for supersonic commercial flights when it's already been done? Where do you draw the line per the potential return on investment?

/ Can someone explain to me why supersonic business flight didn't work out? #48  
You're smarter than me.

The bigger question is when you spend that kind of money, do you always get a "integrated circuit" back for the investment?

Exactly what will we learn for supersonic commercial flights when it's already been done? Where do you draw the line per the potential return on investment?
You are pulling my leg, right? If not then consider this below:
I will ignore that "smarter than me" comment. As to your bigger question, well, you are talking about investing, and investing comes with risk. So no, you don't always get integrated circuits, or the equivalent, back.
As to investing in supersonic aircraft when it has already been done? The Wright brothers flew their powered airplane a long time ago. It was subsonic. Since they did it why would anybody invest in subsonic aircraft? Because there was plenty that folks didn't know about powered flight. Like how to fly longer than just seconds. And after folks figured out how to fly for minutes and then hours some clever persons decided that passengers might like to be sheltered from the wind and weather. And so on.
Since we have achieved commercial supersonic flights why do it again? What could be the potential return on investment? Let's say someone decided to look at the aerodynamics of planes that must fly major portions of a flight at supersonic speeds yet still be frugal with fuel use AND not make those annoying sonic booms? As it turns out there are lots of people working on how to make planes that meet the above requirements. They apparently see a good potential for a good return on their investment.
Private industry and NASA are both working on designs that reduce drag and reduce sonic booms. Some designs that reduce the sonic booms also reduce drag. This is one reason that millions are being spent on supersonic passenger jet designs. So I guess some investors feel the potential return on their investment is worth the risk.
I, and nobody else, knows exactly what we will learn for commercial supersonic flights. And where to draw the line is of course up to the investors. Which you know.
Eric

/ Can someone explain to me why supersonic business flight didn't work out? #49  
I was in grade school in the early 80's when my dad flew on the Concord from London to NY coming home from a business trip. Cost was $6000 or so. A year or so later, he bought a new Chevy for around $6000.

/ Can someone explain to me why supersonic business flight didn't work out? #50  

Long story short, if I can make pretty much getting to anywhere in the world within 24 hours, exactly how much am I willing to spend more to get there quicker?
Having been around airplanes the first 26 years of my life, and still pretty active in plane watching, I have asked myself that same question regarding private jet ownership. There are people that think nothing of spending $100K+ a year just flying their kids to and from college multiple times a year on private jets VS commercial airlines. If they can justify owning a private jet in their own mind, I'm sure they can justify booking seats on a supersonic transport to save half a day of travel time.