Can someone explain to me why supersonic business flight didn't work out?

/ Can someone explain to me why supersonic business flight didn't work out? #51  
Isn't this all just for very rich people?

/ Can someone explain to me why supersonic business flight didn't work out? #52  
Supersonic transport? Yes. Absolutely.

There's about zero (0) reason to have to travel across the world in just hours with the advances in electronic communications.

Yet "time is money" may still have some need for personal appearances. I can't think of many, other than military. Maybe a hot-shot person with unique skills.

/ Can someone explain to me why supersonic business flight didn't work out? #53  
Like a Kardashian?

/ Can someone explain to me why supersonic business flight didn't work out? #54  
I can think of a whole lot of things in this world we'd be better off spending money on other than developing high tech machines to fly the super rich across the ocean in a few less hours or allowing them take a 10 minute ride into space. Just because something can be done doesn't mean that it should be done.

/ Can someone explain to me why supersonic business flight didn't work out? #55  
I will preface my comments with the guess that I am much closer to the topic than many here. Not bragging, but it happens that I am involved as a parts supplier to BOOM Aero, as well as being an aerospace engineering/sales manager for more than 35 years.

First I think BOOM is a great name... whatever. They do still need to prove themselves and my company is supporting the best we can. I know a few of the execs there. I have visited their facility in Englewood, CO multiple times. They are not scam artists... they are trying to advance aviation. Pooh pooh that?

The fact that they are plotting out an assembly line in North Carolina is exciting news. For those of you that might be interested in learning a little more about BOOM...

As some have mentioned, the noise/damage of 1970s technology supersonic aircraft limited their application. Cost per passenger seat mile was also extremely high. I could go on.

Now 40 years later, why would you not applaud entrepreneurs/engineers pushing the envelope? Cutting 8hr to 10hr trips overseas in half is a huge step forward. It's all about efficiency and speed to get things done. Yes, it will first suit business and the 'well to do' first. Just like propeller commercial flight did almost a century ago.

And hey, if better 'household' items such as Velcro, Tang, Sideview mirrors (Indy cars) come out of it... awesome byproducts!

Know that material and processing technologies are quite advanced compared to 40 years ago. Does that not intrigue you as to what we can do?

When your internet is slow or your cell connection is spotty are you frustrated? Do you say I would rather just go back to stationary land line phones and Encyclopedia Brittanica? For those of you that are satisfied with the current state of affairs... raise your white flag and watch it go by... faster than a speeding bullet.

/ Can someone explain to me why supersonic business flight didn't work out? #56  
Probably the same people that think us poor people should not drive a ICE car because we're destroying the planet while they're using thousands of gallons of petroleum to fly around needlessly.

/ Can someone explain to me why supersonic business flight didn't work out? #57  
Probably the same people that think us poor people should not drive a ICE car because we're destroying the planet while they're using thousands of gallons of petroleum to fly around needlessly.
Or driving huge pickup trucks as daily drivers...

😬

/ Can someone explain to me why supersonic business flight didn't work out? #58  
they are trying to advance aviation. Pooh pooh that?

For supersonic flight, sadly, yes. I too work in aviation development, and own an airplane. I have a love for aviation, and appreciation for those who innovate. However, with my work with several climate research agencies (who are using airplanes to record the effects of climate change), I know it's real - we're getting warmer, and sea level is rising. Did mankind cause all of it? I'm not sure. But the fuel we burn, and thus hasten climate change, is our responsibility, and we should really measure the need against the cost to the future.

If the supersonic developers can show me that their aircraft has a greater seat mile efficiency than other aircraft types, I'll listen with great interest, but my knowledge of engines and flight suggests otherwise. Until then, I support any means that our society has to do the things we must do with greater fuel efficiency, and electric or other means if possible. Sometimes that means being patient, and not trying to go so fast. Drag increases as a square of your speed, more speed, much more drag, much more fuel burn - not to carry more, but to carry the same faster.

The children and grandchildren of billion or so people are hoping that their homes won't go under water for no better reason that some well funded people wanted to go faster. Sea level rise won't really affect we who post here so it's hard to see cause and effect, but it's going to affect.....

/ Can someone explain to me why supersonic business flight didn't work out? #59  
Or driving huge pickup trucks as daily drivers...

They probably are, maybe even with a chauffeur. While I drive a hybrid that gets 40 mpg.

/ Can someone explain to me why supersonic business flight didn't work out? #60  
I would gladly pay 1 or 2 hundred dollars more for a supersonic flight to Europe but not $4000 more. We saved most of our lives to see the world when we retired and now my wife has contracted a nerve condition that won't allow her to sit in a plane over 4 hours. She has tried different medications without success.

Now, even though we are financially able to go, and want to go, our dreams of going to Australia, New Zealand, the South Pacific, Norway, Sweden, and many other countries is limited to watching travelogues on TV.