3-Point Hitch Can you pull a 7’x12’ dump trailer with a 3pt trailer hitch receiver?

/ Can you pull a 7’x12’ dump trailer with a 3pt trailer hitch receiver? #1  

devodad

Silver Member
Tractor
JOHN DEERE
Wondering if anyone has ever pulled and dumped a dump trailer using a 3pt hitch receiver. I had to clear several trees from the banks of my farm pond and now I need to haul the trunks and brush out. The jack on the trailer doesn’t go up far enough for me to pull the trailer with the tractor’s draw bar. The jack will drag on uneven ground. I have a heavy duty 3pt hitch receiver I could use, but I’m not sure what’ll happen when I dump it. I don’t think there’s any down pressure on the 3pt arms so I’m wondering if it would damage anything if they move upward when the dump box is all the way up. Maybe a dumb thing to do but since I have the attachment I thought I’d check to see what more experienced folks think before I try that. The tractor weighs over 8,000 lbs with filled tires, so i don’t think it would lift the tractor up. What do you guys think?

/ Can you pull a 7’x12’ dump trailer with a 3pt trailer hitch receiver? #2  
The only concern with using the 3 point for that or any similar operation is the possibility of the load lifting the arms past there normal travel range.
on most tractors there is nothing to stop this from happening.
One way is to securely fasten a chain or two to the top of your hitch and run them down to a clevis in the drawbar or on down to the drawbar mounting points.
These will need to be secured to prevent undesired disconnection..
These chains need to be long enough that your 3 point lift does not bend or break things when being lifted hydraulically,
but short enough to prevent the lift arms from over traveling and damaging your tractor.

/ Can you pull a 7’x12’ dump trailer with a 3pt trailer hitch receiver? #3  
I would NOT do that. If you do made sure you chain the 3pt down so it can only come up so far.

/ Can you pull a 7’x12’ dump trailer with a 3pt trailer hitch receiver? #4  
The only concern with using the 3 point for that or any similar operation is the possibility of the load lifting the arms past there normal travel range.
on most tractors there is nothing to stop this from happening.
One way is to securely fasten a chain or two to the top of your hitch and run them down to a clevis in the drawbar or on down to the drawbar mounting points.
These will need to be secured to prevent undesired disconnection..
These chains need to be long enough that your 3 point lift does not bend or break things when being lifted hydraulically,
but short enough to prevent the lift arms from over traveling and damaging your tractor.

Yes.. Its would be sort of inverse of "limit chains" (check chains) uses to keep 3PH load from dropping to low.... But like everything else, use with caution...With 8K tractor weight you are heavier than most PU truck running around with dump trailers....

Dale

/ Can you pull a 7’x12’ dump trailer with a 3pt trailer hitch receiver? #5  
I think it's a very bad idea

/ Can you pull a 7’x12’ dump trailer with a 3pt trailer hitch receiver? #6  
If you either chain the arms down or just pull with them fully up I don’t see the problem.

/ Can you pull a 7’x12’ dump trailer with a 3pt trailer hitch receiver? #7  
If you are going to use the trailer off road with the tractor, remove that tongue jack and put on one that will lift higher and rotates to a horizontal position. Then use your rigid drawbar.

Jack | etrailer.com

Bruce

/ Can you pull a 7’x12’ dump trailer with a 3pt trailer hitch receiver? #8  
Just tie your three point hitch arms as already mentioned or lift the three point all the way up and you will be ok.

/ Can you pull a 7’x12’ dump trailer with a 3pt trailer hitch receiver? #9  
The hitch in this link has a safety chain which fastens to your fixed drawbar to prevent the trailer from lifting the 3 point to high,
King Kutter's Goose Neck Trailer Mover with 2 5/16" Ball
As long as you do something similar it will work fine.

/ Can you pull a 7’x12’ dump trailer with a 3pt trailer hitch receiver? #10  
Re: Can you pull a 7遅12 dump trailer with a 3pt trailer hitch receiver?

51E0D714-96CB-4029-9197-88FB8475D9D8.jpeg

My little BX2200 pulled this 5x8 dump trailer with out any issues, using the 3ph. Several hundred loads a last year and the year before.

Only problem I had was running out of traction if the grass was wet.

I raised the 3PH before dumping to increase the dump angle. Trailer plus load was usually between 1.5 and 2 tons.

743B4613-0014-4CEB-91A9-09C6DC359D58.jpeg

Edit: I usually dumped with the 3PH fully raised, so I never noticed any upward movement of the 3PH when dumping. BUT I occasionally forgot to fully raise the hitch, and never noticed any tendency for the trailer hitch to raise. Could be the geometry of my trailer though...

Given the size of your tractor I do not think you will have any issues. But you need to ensure the hitch ball is solidly fixed in position. I welded up a frame to hold the ball in position so it would not rotate.