Compact Tractor Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) Version 2.0

/ Compact Tractor Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) Version 2.0 #141  
From 2020 and on, all new tractors sold, have to have emissions control systems on it. There are still some exceptions for the old stock but after that, there is no other way around.

It should also be a matter of time till they come up with yearly inspections on tractor like they do on on-road vehicles.
In order to do that, tractors would have to be licensed like vehicles. I don’t think any state does this now, and enforcement would only be doable with tractor sales at businesses.

/ Compact Tractor Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) Version 2.0 #143  
I, for one, would buy the tier 4.

They are cleaner, don’t smell, start better, and are quieter.

I have two pieces of modern equipment, and lived with dirty Diesels for forty years. The improvements are substantial, and I would never advocate going backwards, as our conservative friends would propose.
Yes, the old school dirty diesels give me a headache if I operate them very long.

/ Compact Tractor Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) Version 2.0 #144  
My bone of contention with DPF in general is, at some point in the unit's lifespan (unless it blows up early in it's life), the owner (whoever that is, maybe not the first owner and maybe not the second one but at some point in time, that DPF canister will have to be cleaned or renewed and they aren't cheap to clean or replace and the onus will be on the current owner not anyone else and not the factory either.

I've dealt with that exact scenario in Class 8 T4 big diesels and just to clean one is over 300 bucks and been my experience that many are not cleanable and must be replaced. The big ones are 500 + to replace.
$300 seems cheap for ten+ years of use.

/ Compact Tractor Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) Version 2.0 #145  
I don't think anyone WANTS a less clean burning engine.
But what we don't want is systems/components/sensors that are prone to fail and that basically puts a tractor or vehicle in a limp mode or worse, shuts it down requiring we haul it to a dealer or even worse, pay extra for them to come get it, when they can.

Then there is the additional exorbitant price to have the system/DPF cleaned or replaced every x number of years.

At the prices we pay, they should use more reliable parts that are less likely to fail coupled with better prices for these parts/sensors when we do have to replace them. Include troubleshooting guides and better diagnostics for us to be self sufficient when they fail.
How often do they fail? I haven’t heard of one person in my area who has a newer tractor say they’ve had a failure. People said the same thing about automatic transmissions and electric windows in vehicles, yet they are very reliable. DPF is also.

/ Compact Tractor Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) Version 2.0 #146  
My diesel ownership has been confined to one diesel VW Rabbit, one John Deere diesel tractor and two Kubota diesel tractors.

Were you physically coerced at the Chrysler dealer?
Or was your choice of a Ram truck voluntary?
My Dodge Ram truck with Cummins has been completely trouble free for he past 150k miles.

/ Compact Tractor Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) Version 2.0 #147  
Like as been said before, there are lot more differences than just engine RPM.

For one, the L2501 uses a mechanical injection system, while the L3301 and up uses a Common rail system.
The engines are different but he tractors are the same.

/ Compact Tractor Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) Version 2.0 #148  
How often do they fail? I haven’t heard of one person in my area who has a newer tractor say they’ve had a failure. People said the same thing about automatic transmissions and electric windows in vehicles, yet they are very reliable. DPF is also.
I'm on a few tractor pages on FB and every couple weeks some one is dealing with an Emissions/DPF/DEF failure, so it is too common.

/ Compact Tractor Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) Version 2.0 #149  
I'm on a few tractor pages on FB and every couple weeks some one is dealing with an Emissions/DPF/DEF failure, so it is too common.
I am NOT on FB (and never will be [that or "Meta" (FFS!)). Would you provide some more data/info on what they're stating? I mean, it could be just a handful of folks repeating the same thing (it happens here and just about any place). And what does "failure" mean? Who diagnosed?

I'd guess that the bulk of the issues are with the DEF components rather than with DPFs. DEF pumps and people putting in crappy fluid or the wrong fluid are common things that I hear (I know a mechanic who services a lot of different equipment and talk to him about stuff like this).

DPFs are mandated to be covered for a certain amount of miles/years?/hours. As noted (and I was aware of this) they CAN be cleaned (there's confusion here as to whether that's expensive or inexpensive- I don't know; if lots of this was happening I'd think that the cost would be more widely known). Somewhere along the line I picked up on the notion that it was 3,000hrs for tractors. No idea whether a plugged up one prior to this time is considered covered under this warranty or not.

My Kioti has a DPF. 715 hours and about 5 years. Absolutely zero engine or emissions-related issues: I've been pleasantly surprised at how well it works.. I cannot say what the frequency of regens is other than it's not so frequent that I actually can state how frequent it is: no doubt I KNOW when it's happening, but when it is happening I am usually working or have additional work to do. I can, therefore, only speak from my single data point that DPF systems have not been an issue for me at a higher than low-use level of hours. And from what I know of such systems (having done a lot of research when looking to buy a newer, used diesel truck) most issues were sensor related (not to diminish the fact that some sensors are stupid expensive, just that the DPF filter itself has not seemed to be an issue point from what I've read/seen/heard).

/ Compact Tractor Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) Version 2.0 #150  

Attachments

• F5141DAE-6826-4421-BBE6-2CAF11DBAB52.jpeg
    F5141DAE-6826-4421-BBE6-2CAF11DBAB52.jpeg
    118.2 KB · Views: 77