Dealer Prep Time on New Tractor

/ Dealer Prep Time on New Tractor #41  
The general PDI of a tractor could be done as the shop has time, as they come off the truck.
Oil, filters, bolts ETC could all be done before a sale assuming it is sitting longer than a few weeks on a lot.
I wonder how many tractors are "modified" with customer add On's ETC VS off the floor take it as it is.
Honestly this reminds me of RV's and the BS that happens with them, you wait a week or 3 go to pick it up and stuff doens't work then you wait a few more weeks for the repairs. All you wanted to do was go camping.

Don't say it's because they are waiting to get paid, they will be paid just maybe not today but it will happen.
I can go buy a car TODAY and drive it home in min.

/ Dealer Prep Time on New Tractor #42  
LOL. I DO trust my dealer. And I know from walking around his service dept that they are completely swamped right now.

They couldn't sell tractors when Covid had the world shut down, so lots of people ordered tractors...and they are just beginning to hit now. Lots of others just rode out the slump by keeping their old tractors going until they could get a new one...That's happening now too.

As far as trusting my dealer, he beat the nearest competition price by like $8k. And I'm trading him my 2015 Case 95c, which is immaculate, and he'll be able to get top dollar for on the used market.

Here's the trade in:

eMvruCR.jpg

AWkdbZo.jpg

Another reason to trust him is that beyond the small town atmosphere, he does the right thing when he doesn't have to.. Just yesterday I was checking on a tractor in his shop being worked on now, and there's a part they had to buy as an "assembly", that's pretty expensive. He told me right out that he wasn't charging the usual parts dept price, but that it would be installed at cost.

When that tractor was brand new, it had an issue that nobody could diagnose. The factory rep was down several times over 2 months, and they were at a loss. I was losing money because I couldn't use a tractor that was in their shop. My dealer offered to dealer transfer a brand new tractor in for me, and I could take it, and he would take any loss on the one needing repair. Well, the next thing I knew, the service mgr. went against warranty authorization and removed the heads from the engine (You have to get warranty authorization, or they won't pay the dealer for work performed) He found a faulty rocker arm assembly, and replaced it and fixed the tractor. But my dealer said I could still have the choice of taking my tractor back, or he would get me another new tractor at no additional cost. I told him as long as mine ran good, I didn't want his new tractor.

So, yes. I trust my dealer on a more personal level than most tractor owners will ever know.

They are just swamped with repair work and new make ready's right now. That he won't bump me up the line in front of other customers tells me that he is principled. I know I'd not want to be bumped when I am in line for work done.

WOW nice machine... by looks.. it looks way nicer than the new one ... maybe it is all the plastic.
Why not just have them do the tire sealant latter and take delivery of the machine now if you have the need for it?
and or have the tire shop sent out.

/ Dealer Prep Time on New Tractor
Here's my take on this -- go sit down eye to eye with the owner/owners and being as nice as possible, let them know your position i.e. -- I paid good hard-earned money for this tractor and even a little more than from another location due to have done business with you three other times.
Is there ANY way to get this working sooner than ANOTHER couple of weeks?
If not, either take it and set an appointment to get the work done you want at a later date, forget those "add-ons" -- or ask for your money back and let them know you won't be back.
Although the "work force" in this country isn't what it used to be {WAY too much FREE STUFF!} there are still people who will work and the dealership has a responsibility to get what you paid for to you!
I agree for the most part.

It's frustrating for sure. But read my above post about my dealer. I'll stick with him.
In the big picture of things, I'll probably get the new tractor next week... which isn't when I wanted, or needed it, but I'm not the only one needing a new tractor or repair work who is in a jam. In an agriculture area, LOTS of people who's livelihoods depend on their tractors and equipment get news like this, and work through it as best they can.

/ Dealer Prep Time on New Tractor #44  
Times have sure changed! Back in the 70' when the dealer I worked at sold a tractor everything got dropped, the tractor became the most important job you had then. You picked up the manual which contained a PDI list and checked off each item as you inspected it, usually while the calcium was pumping into the tires. When completed you signed and dated the PDI report. Yes things like air cleaner connections, electrical connections, chassis bolts, wheel bolts, fluid levels, and correct operation were some of the things checked. Then the delivery person had a section to sign off after he instructed the new owner about proper operation and the control lever were used for.

Last check before loading for delivery was --- The wheel lugs!

As for PDIing a tractor when it arrived on the lot, It could be transferred to another dealer, your time lost, or it may sit on the lot for a year or longer and need to PDI again before delivery, oh yeah and all the rusty bolts "polished".

Had a combine one day out of warranty that left a rod go thru the oil pan. Got the area service rep on it and he was willing to extend the warranty, but said it was not PDI inspected properly. Upon disassembly I found one of the rod bolts had not been tightened at engine assembly. Service rep still stood by not PDIed properly. Well I told him we had just sold a new combine and since I needed him to properly teach me how to PDI. "I hope you have your coveralls and can hang around for three days till we can tear it all apart and reassemble it" I said-------Warranty approved!

WOW nice machine... by looks.. it looks way nicer than the new one ... maybe it is all the plastic.
Why not just have them do the tire sealant latter and take delivery of the machine now if you have the need for it?
and or have the tire shop sent out.
It's pretty much the same tractor as I'm trading in, but 10 more horsepower. Same frame, same engine with variations in color, features, and stuff.

The reason I'm getting a new tractor now is that I need to go another 10 years before I quit and take life easy.

:)

My trade in won't be worth nearly as much further down the road. And I can expect some pretty big expenses with it if I try to push it another 9 or 10 years. It just makes good sense to me to run a new tractor which will probably be less trouble and expense for the next 10 years, and get top dollar for my trade in while it's worth good money.

Lucky you. I purchased a new L series kubota. It’s been 20 days and still waiting on it to be delivered. About ready to cancel my order

Patience grasshopper...

If you cancel, you'll just have to start all over again. ;)

/ Dealer Prep Time on New Tractor #47  
If you haven't yet, you might want to give it a try in the evenings when nobody else is around. That was always my favorite time.
rScotty
...and it's clean, unlike a dirty flogged on tractor where you have to pressure wash it prior to so you can actually find the offending parts.

Something about a new clean tractor, beckons me.

Some of the tractors that come into my dealership (I work there part time, usually prepping new units for delivery) is always nice. No dirty hands, no crud under the fingernails and tools stay clean as well. Customers tractors all seem to come in loaded with filth. I guess keeping a unit clean and tidy is not high on the list of priorities today.

/ Dealer Prep Time on New Tractor #50  
I recently bought a new Massey Ferguson from AgRev in Columbia, KY and they delivered it to my house less than 24 hours after I signed the paperwork. I know they thoroughly went over it because it had an additional 0.6 hours on it.