Diesel Gelling - Never Would Have Expected It

/ Diesel Gelling - Never Would Have Expected It #31  
I run my little Kubota when the actual air temps are in the -30 range with no problems at all. I add a bit of white bottle power service to each tank to help keep the fuel from gelling up. Diesel fuels begin to form waxes on filters at temperatures just below zero. Number 1 diesel.......which contains a blend of diesel and kerosene......will prevent gelling to about -25. Kerosene is very expensive. Last time I checked it was about 12 dollars per gallon. Power Service is a product that makes standard Number 2 diesel act like Number 1 diesel, for a whole lot less money.

If the fuel is free of moisture, it's possible to run diesel engines in extremely cold conditions. Just a few drops of water in the fuel will make for a very bad day.

Joel

/ Diesel Gelling - Never Would Have Expected It #32  
It's suppose to be -8* tomorrow morning, I'm betting my tractor will start and run just fine...as usual.

Kerosene is $4 something a gallon here "at the pump"... But, I only buy it for my kerosene heaters that rarely get used...

$12 a gallon must be in a store someplace!!

SR

/ Diesel Gelling - Never Would Have Expected It #33  
Same here about $1.00/ gallon more then diesel. A real ripoff for poor people living in old mobile homes with outside tanks that need kerosene all winter long.

/ Diesel Gelling - Never Would Have Expected It #34  
In all of my 53 years I've never seen Kerosene available "at the pump". That's a new one on me.

Number 2 diesel (summer diesel) is available here for about 2.67 per gallon. Number 1 diesel sells for 3.87 per gallon.

I run number 2 diesel all winter long.....but this wouldn't be possible without adding an anti-gel additive, such as Power Service in the white bottle. 2 ounces of power service per tank is all it takes. A bottle of Power Service lasts me about half of the winter.....but our winters are 8 months long up here.

Joel

/ Diesel Gelling - Never Would Have Expected It #35  
Years ago, I took an injection pump, to a reputable pump rebuild shop, they opened it up and said right off "you been using power service?? and I had! Once rebuilt, they told me, "use power service with this pump, and i will void the warr". I NEVER used power service again and that was a lot of years ago!

I'm curious if you could elaborate on this a little? Did he give you any kind of explanation? I'm not doubting you, it's just the first I've heard anything like this.

/ Diesel Gelling - Never Would Have Expected It #36  
I'm curious if you could elaborate on this a little? Did he give you any kind of explanation? I'm not doubting you, it's just the first I've heard anything like this.

I'd be also curious to hear why, I would assume its because it deteriorates the rubber O rings inside.

/ Diesel Gelling - Never Would Have Expected It #37  
I'd be also curious to hear why, I would assume its because it deteriorates the rubber O rings inside.

I've done quite a bit of reading and talked to some people (Deere dealer, diesel mechanics...) and have heard ps is pointless, or howes is better, or something else is better, or whatever. I've never, though, heard that powerservice was damaging. That is why I was asking. Maybe there's more information out there that could be beneficial.

/ Diesel Gelling - Never Would Have Expected It #38  
Well here is a bit of info on the fuel issue. We have been having a problem with the fuel system too when it is below -0. So what we did was BY PASS THE FUEL COOLER, the fuel was jelling in the cool and the filters would get sucked down where the onbaord computor would set a code that filter was pluged or needed perging. And the fuel temp was at 22 degs. fer. Well with that said we decided to bypass the cooler with a 3/8' s berbed fitting and the loaders are running fine now. The fuel temp is running in the 80 deg. temps now. Hope this will help the cold weather fuel issue.

/ Diesel Gelling - Never Would Have Expected It #39  

The rebuilder was quite a ways from where I lived and as I knew him, he opened the pump while I was there to see what it needed. This pump had a "advance piston" in it, and he pulled it, took one look at it and the amount of wear on it and instantly knew I had been using PS...

No matter, use "winter" fuel from a station that sells a decent amount of fuel and you won't need to WASTE money on additives!

BTW, it's -7* out right now, any bets on if my tractor will start right up.... WITHOUT any additives in the fuel!

SR

/ Diesel Gelling - Never Would Have Expected It #40  
In all of my 53 years I've never seen Kerosene available "at the pump". That's a new one on me.

Kero is available "at the pump" in many locations in this neck of the woods. I still maintain that additive-enhanced fuel is no substitute for properly blended winter fuel (30% kero, 70% diesel), particularly when the temps drop to below zero.