Does anybody REALLY dislike HST?

/ Does anybody REALLY dislike HST? #43  
I wonder how many peoples opinions are based on early hydros' and don't realize the newer stuff is greatly improved in several ways.
I have also noticed that many peoples opinions on gear drives is based on old gear type transmissions and don't realize the newer gear transmissions with shuttle and power shifts are greatly improved.

/ Does anybody REALLY dislike HST? #44  
I read all of the threads and I agree with the "like" HST [mine does have the cruise control option].
But, I do have a concern/question. Isn't HST like an auto tranny on a car/truck? If so, and something on engine breaks while out in the field is it safe to push/pull machine back to the garage?

I seem to recall that an auto trans vehicle is never to be pulled/towed without engine running.

On my Scotts lawn mower it has a lever to pull out so that it can be pushed around if needed. Don't see anything liike that on my TYM.

I hope to never be in this situation but would like to be knowledgeable per what to do if ever happens.
Thanks, Greg

/ Does anybody REALLY dislike HST? #45  
I have also noticed that many peoples opinions on gear drives is based on old gear type transmissions and don't realize the newer gear transmissions with shuttle and power shifts are greatly improved.

Agreed, mine was until I educated myself on them and I still prefer HST for my needs, but I also use geared units sometimes as I own three and don't want to spend the money for new ones.

/ Does anybody REALLY dislike HST? #46  
After buying my hunting land.....I was a bit unsure of how big of a tractor I wanted / needed to fix up and maintain my forested land. I decided that i wanted to go with 5 foot implements and a low priced / yet modern tractor in order to see how it all works out....before investing a bundle in (possibly) the wrong tractor. Enter....the John Deere 790.

The size and power has worked out quite well....and I am happy with the choice overall. However...the gear shift tranny has left me wanting a hydro many times. I dont know if I feel like going through the buy / sell process on a new tractor....as I dont put that many hours on each year. Maybe I will just live with the gear scratching......but if I were doing it over (knowing what I know now) I would own a hydro in a heartbeat.

/ Does anybody REALLY dislike HST? #47  
I read all of the threads and I agree with the "like" HST [mine does have the cruise control option].
But, I do have a concern/question. Isn't HST like an auto tranny on a car/truck? If so, and something on engine breaks while out in the field is it safe to push/pull machine back to the garage?

I seem to recall that an auto trans vehicle is never to be pulled/towed without engine running.

On my Scotts lawn mower it has a lever to pull out so that it can be pushed around if needed. Don't see anything liike that on my TYM.

I hope to never be in this situation but would like to be knowledgeable per what to do if ever happens.
Thanks, Greg

I can't speak for all tractors, but I can speak for mine since I've had the transmission completely torn apart. When the tractor is in neutral, it is in true neutral. The wheels spin without ever affecting the power unit. I wouldn't hesitate to tow my Massey 1215. Other tractors may be different.

/ Does anybody REALLY dislike HST? #48  
I don't hate the HST in my B7800 but I don't trust it to not fail. I really DON'T like it's tendency to 'jump' when I need to inch it backward to make a hookup. It's been checked and pronounced normal but still needs power applied to move, and acts like an automatic trans in a car that's slipping. It's darn near squished my wife's hands while connecting something to the 3PH.

Other than that it's really good when working in the sloped brush covered parts of our place and overall it's a lot more manueverable easily than driving my Jinma with it's 4-speed with 2 range boxes.

/ Does anybody REALLY dislike HST? #49  
HST is great for loader work and plowing.... it is good for mowing if you have a good cruise control

/ Does anybody REALLY dislike HST? #50  
JD 4120 ehydro here. Having used a Ford 641 for mowing for as many years as I can remember, there's no way I want to go back.