Does anybody REALLY dislike HST?

/ Does anybody REALLY dislike HST? #31  
In big snows with drifts, I have to just creep through big drifts with my 60" blower. A gear drive just couldn't go slow enough. I have enough pto power, but there is just too much snow for the blower to handle.

Which gear drive tractor are you referring to?

Last edited:
   / Does anybody REALLY dislike HST? #32  
Not even in low range.??

I had drifts 4-5' this past winter. Sometimes just barely moving. Sometimes need to stop completely just to give it time to eat the snow. Occassionally, had to drive forward, let the snow fall down and back into it again. Gear drive would be too fast-even in low gear.

/ Does anybody REALLY dislike HST? #33  
I had drifts 4-5' this past winter. Sometimes just barely moving. Sometimes need to stop completely just to give it time to eat the snow. Occassionally, had to drive forward, let the snow fall down and back into it again. Gear drive would be too fast-even in low gear.

I'll ask again...what gear drive tractor are you referring to?

/ Does anybody REALLY dislike HST? #34  
I've read the pro's & cons of an HST vs gear.

Just wondering if anybody really hates HST's?

Or maybe you have a particular task & your HST is just flat-out the wrong transmission for the job?

I have roughly 13 acres of bush hog type mowing, probably a few times a year, & then up to about a mile of "trails" through some hardwoods I'll bush hog occassionally. This is new property, so I'm not precisely sure how it's gonna go, but those are my educated guesses. I could see the whole thing eventually evolving to more use of a finish mower.

Thank you!

Do I "really hates HSTs", no, but intensely dislike? Yes. They are GOOD (maybe even awesome) for what they are good for and NO GOOD for that which they are not good for - ground engaging work.

/ Does anybody REALLY dislike HST? #35  
Do I "really hates HSTs", no, but intensely dislike? Yes. They are GOOD (maybe even awesome) for what they are good for and NO GOOD for that which they are not good for - ground engaging work.

I agree that for large acreages a gear tractor is more efficient to operate for ground engaging work, I don't think there is any question about that.

For tight quarters work that still requires large amounts of tractive force, such as using a Gannon boxblade between buildings the hydro is a good choice, I haven't had any problems or shortcomings with heavy draft loads. I wonder how many peoples opinions are based on early hydros' and don't realize the newer stuff is greatly improved in several ways.

/ Does anybody REALLY dislike HST? #37  
jenkinsph wrote - "I wonder how many peoples opinions are based on early hydros' and don't realize the newer stuff is greatly improved in several ways."

Well said.

RobertN wrote - "They are awful. That is why I got another tractor with HST."

Even better said.

MT

/ Does anybody REALLY dislike HST? #38  
My gear tractor has been used to creep through heavy snow for 30+ years, still has the same clutch. Why do so many HST guys refuse to accept the fact that HST isn't perfect for every situation? I don't think many even have gear tractor experience, they just assume. I love HST for mowing my yard, but I would very much dislike it on the farm tractor. They make both for a reason, and people buy both for a reason.

I think there are a lot of people defending what they have.:laughing: Having both types they all have pro's and con's. Like most of the people here I have had to make do with what I had available, most of my time using tractors had been with gear tractors. But, I am not going to try and kid myself or others about it either, the new hydro tractors such as my 110tlb and 4520 are alot easier to operate in close quarters. I think you need to spend some time with all of the newer hydros, power reversers to be informed.

/ Does anybody REALLY dislike HST? #39  
Been slippin clutches and movin gear handles for about 50yrs now. Ten years back I bought a used little Bota HST. Loved it, but it was too small so traded for a JD4300HST. Never gave the treadle much thought but I do miss the clutch on the Bota two speed PTO.

Just finished using the FEL to break the bead on an aluminium rim, after trying for an hour with my cheapo tire machine. Did it all while standing beside the tractor (no seat switch anymore)and placing hand on the joystick or F pedal as required. Wouldn't have dared to try it by slipping a clutch.....

/ Does anybody REALLY dislike HST? #40  
Can't imagine NOT getting an HST tractor.

Drove geared tractors up until I was 14 years old when we moved off the farm. Recently used a neighbor's 70ish year JD with gears. Those, plus the extremely slow manual steering were a very pain. We only drive stick shift cars and pickup. Wouldn't have anything else. HST is NOT an automatic transmission. It's a very sturdy hydraulic system.

Ralph