Dump bed Pick Ups

/ Dump bed Pick Ups #41  
Dusty said:
That isn't the original Monza

Is this better?
63curtis.jpg

/ Dump bed Pick Ups #42  
Here is my experience with the suggestions.

1. I pointed out to my insurance agent ( Who really likes me because I pay his company a few thousand dollars every year.) that I could just claim it was a farm truck with a flat bed. He pointed out they would check the vin and if it did not show it was a Dump truck I might get by with that but if I had a claim they had the option of not paying it. Since I have several houses and some other stuff I like keeping I did not want to risk any of that by the potential of not being able to have my insurance company pay a claim.

2. I like the idea of hiring quality help. I dont know about other folks. It might be a luxury to go to whatever sand/gravel/dirt etc company you want to. We have one option that is less than two hours drive from my house. Although I resent it deeply not once has that company called me and asked me what I thought of a potential employee to run their loading equipment. I also am of the opinion unless I fork out millions and millions of dollars to buy their company they probably wont ask my opinion on any potential new hires in the future.

For all of the people that get their trucks loaded no matter what the size and they are loaded correctly god bless you for you are fortunate. For the people that drive around with their 1/2 ton pickups full of rock and whatever I wish them well. I hope they never have a loader overload their vehicle or I am jealous if they can watch a big loader bucket dropping material and know exactly when to tell the loader to stop so they get the exact weight they want and their vehicle can handle safely.

For myself I am going to continue to pay the 100.00 delivery fee for material until I decide to buy my wife another piece of diamond jewelry so that she wont complain when I buy a new dump trailer.

/ Dump bed Pick Ups #43  
a few years ago when i had my ford L600 truck (24,000 gvw)on the road i of course had insurance on it. when talking to the insurance agent when i first got the insurance he pointed out to me that since the truck was a flatbed that dumped then it didnt have to be insured as a dump truck, just regular flatbed truck, basicly yes you could haul gravel in it by putting sideboards on, which i often did, but that was not the primary designed purpose of the truck so thus it didnt have to be insured as dump truck which of course was more money. so i dont see how adding a dump insert to a pickup is going to void your insurance as some people say, i mean basicly the dump insert is a load you are carrying in the bed of your pickup, its not a truck body realy.

/ Dump bed Pick Ups #44  
Markct that is an excellent Idea. Unfortunatly my insurance agent does not agree with that at all. I use him because he does everything he can to save me money and he knows that when he quits doing that I will go to someone else. He specifically said that If I did what you suggested and called it a flatbed that the insurance company could claim that I misrepresented the vehicle and that if I had a wreck they could withhold paying the claim. I was speaking about this subject with my wife ( who is an attorney licensed in arkansas and oklahoma) she said absolutely the insurance company could refuse to pay any claims If I had a wreck and told them it was a flatbed truck instead of a dump truck. If you dont have a wreck it is not a problem but consider this. I know someone that was driving their SUV home one night and had a head on collision, ( there was a utility truck on their side of the road, they crossed the center line to miss them and it was just before a curve. A car came around the curve before they got back to their side ) they got a ticket and was deemed at fault The other vehicle was a small car and during the collision a major artery was severed. Luckily he lived but he was in a coma for 4 months and in the hospital for several more after he woke up. Now I dont know about you but I would not want to have to worry my insurance company being able to say
We dont have to pay this because you lied to us about what we were insuring. I pray nothing like this should ever happen but if it does I like knowing that the umbrella policy I have is going to pick up the tab.

/ Dump bed Pick Ups
JimR said:
I hauled a lot of stone, sand and crushed gravel in my dump pickup when I had it. No one ever refused to load my truck. Not one of them ever did any damage to my truck either. Quality help means quality work.

Right on: Another way of putting what I've stated several times

/ Dump bed Pick Ups #46  
This thread has changed from info on dump beds to a class on insurance terms. I know that everyone wants to help, and everyone has an opinion , but let's not forget what the poster wanted.
I have had and used dump trucks for the last 25 or 30 years, from 1 ton to tandem dumps, but have never had a pickup insert and like to hear different opinions of them.
I saw somewhere on this board a link to one that slid into the back of a pickup and utilized the reciever hitch to hold it in place. It seemed like it used an electric winch to hoist the bed. Can anyone remember it or find the thread that it was on? I have searched but can't find anything on it. Later, Nat

/ Dump bed Pick Ups
markct said:
a few years ago when i had my ford L600 truck (24,000 gvw)on the road i of course had insurance on it. when talking to the insurance agent when i first got the insurance he pointed out to me that since the truck was a flatbed that dumped then it didnt have to be insured as a dump truck, just regular flatbed truck, basicly

1*yes you could haul gravel in it by putting sideboards on, which i often did, but that was not the primary designed purpose of the truck so thus it didnt have to be insured as dump truck which of course was more money.
2*so i dont see how adding a dump insert to a pickup is going to void your insurance as some people say,
3*i mean basicly the dump insert is a load you are carrying in the bed of your pickup, its not a truck body realy.
1*Adding a dump feature to a 1/2 or 3/4 PU does not necessarily change the primary purpose of that truck either.
2*Neither do I especially since adding that feature does not change the VIN number of the truck.
3*Really I would be leary of insuring a vehicle with a Title / VHN showing it as legally being a pick up as a dump truck. I can see it now you have a claim the insurance Co. denies it stating the vehicle they have insured is a dump truck the vehicle you were driving is a Pickup>>claim denied!
Your are hooked because you can't prove to the insurer that it was in fact a dump truck because you don't have a vin number Title or registration showing that you own a dump truck.

/ Dump bed Pick Ups
gemini5362 said:
Here is my experience with the suggestions.

1. I pointed out to my insurance agent ( Who really likes me because I pay his company a few thousand dollars every year.) that I could just claim it was a farm truck with a flat bed. He pointed out they would check the vin and if it did not show it was a Dump truck I might get by with that but if I had a claim they had the option of not paying it. Since I have several houses and some other stuff I like keeping I did not want to risk any of that by the potential of not being able to have my insurance company pay a claim.

2. I like the idea of hiring quality help. I dont know about other folks. It might be a luxury to go to whatever sand/gravel/dirt etc company you want to. We have one option that is less than two hours drive from my house. Although I resent it deeply not once has that company called me and asked me what I thought of a potential employee to run their loading equipment. I also am of the opinion unless I fork out millions and millions of dollars to buy their company they probably wont ask my opinion on any potential new hires in the future.

For all of the people that get their trucks loaded no matter what the size and they are loaded correctly god bless you for you are fortunate. For the people that drive around with their 1/2 ton pickups full of rock and whatever I wish them well. I hope they never have a loader overload their vehicle or I am jealous if they can watch a big loader bucket dropping material and know exactly when to tell the loader to stop so they get the exact weight they want and their vehicle can handle safely.

For myself I am going to continue to pay the 100.00 delivery fee for material until I decide to buy my wife another piece of diamond jewelry so that she wont complain when I buy a new dump trailer.

To me it just don't make sense to pay a $100 delivery charge to have 3 or 4 dollars worth of stuff delivered.

/ Dump bed Pick Ups #50  
A Pickup is a pickup even with a dump setup under it. A dump truck is a dump truck regardless. A flatbed truck is a flatbed truck even with a dump setup under it. Reason being is they are not used for dump truck purposes full time and cannot be called a dump truck. One other thing I did with my pickup dump setup was to weld four pieces of angle iron to the frame and bed rails. When the bed was in the down position, I bolted the bed down in the front to the frame rails brackets that I welded on. This kept the load from shifting the bed around. You could have rolled the truck over and the bed would still be in the down position. I guess some insurance companies are different than others. My dump pickup was called a pickup because the bed was the original equipment and not a dump truck style bed.