EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage

/ EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage #41  
Are the door stickers those values? Usually they are not cleanly rounded numbers but maybe yours are.

No, that is rounded off to the nearest.

I have 4 vehicles, 3 trailers, and a airplane to keep track of. The vehicle I am in today is my 2013 Ford Edge. Heck, is got a 5,280 GVWR and weighs 4,007#, so it's got about 1,300# payload capacity. So unlike the Dodges it can actually tow it's maximum 3,500# trailer and fill the seats with my family and put a few things in the cargo hold.

Chris

/ EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage #42  
My Ford F150 is 2300#. My 2008 Nissan Titan I am trading is 1500#.

Chris

No, that is rounded off to the nearest.

I have 4 vehicles, 3 trailers, and a airplane to keep track of. The vehicle I am in today is my 2013 Ford Edge. Heck, is got a 5,280 GVWR and weighs 4,007#, so it's got about 1,300# payload capacity. So unlike the Dodges it can actually tow it's maximum 3,500# trailer and fill the seats with my family and put a few things in the cargo hold.

Chris

Or could it be that RAM (it is its own brand) is the only one that is honest regarding payload ratings. I'm suspicious when a half ton truck claims a two plus ton payload. If they (the manufactures) start following the SAE guide line, which has been a ping-pong game up here for some time, maybe the payload ratings will become honest also.

This shouldn't be a battle (who has a bigger one since all these numbers are grabbed from the air), I'm only interested that my truck can tow and haul my needs, and all three can easily do that.

/ EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage #43  
Ok, I've driven new foords, dodges, and GMCs as work trucks. 4.6 Ford extended 4x4; 5.0 Ford regular cab 4x4; GMC 4.3L regular cab 2wd; Ram 5.7 4 door 4x4. All 2009 and up models (2009 4.6L; 2013 5.0L; 2014 5.7L; 2010? 4.3L).

Couple observations:
The 5.0L ran like a raped ape; very good acceleration; had somme room behind seats in a regular cab

The 4.6L was pretty good, but lacked the punch of the 5.0L

The 5.7 Ram had the nicest seats, overall interior

The 4.3L GMC regular cab seats should be banded by the Geneva Convention. I have to say driving that thing for as little as 4 Hours would have my back killing me, and I'm a young (ish) healthy guy.

The 5.0L had sheet metal so thin that when you closed the door you would see the whole side panels ripple... I put 1600 lbs in it twice, and it squatted down, but not too bad.

The Fords are a pain to get stuff out of the bed from reaching over the sides; the 4x4s are way higher in the rear then the front. I'm not short (6'1") and I had trouble getting stuff out of the middle of the bed or tool box.

/ EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage #44  
Contrary to earlier posts, there is a standard method of determining light duty
truck towing ratings, SAE J2807, which the manufacturers agreed to adopt for the 2013 model year.

The actual standard criteria is here:
That Dam Towing Test: New SAE Trailering Standards Explained - Tech Dept. - Car and Driver

I see nothing on brakes, however. But good to know that the makers may comply with a tow rating standard.
Now, what about a payload standard? Or at least tell the world how they arrived at their number.

/ EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage #45  
Or could it be that RAM (it is its own brand) is the only one that is honest regarding payload ratings. I'm suspicious when a half ton truck claims a two plus ton payload. If they (the manufactures) start following the SAE guide line, which has been a ping-pong game up here for some time, maybe the payload ratings will become honest also.

This shouldn't be a battle (who has a bigger one since all these numbers are grabbed from the air), I'm only interested that my truck can tow and haul my needs, and all three can easily do that.

I did my own unscientific test. The Dodge 1/2 tons squatted the most with 4 guys on the tailgate.

Chris

/ EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage #46  
Not funny when they put six seats in them now and you can't haul 4 adults AND golf clubs for a round of golf. Toyota Prius has more payload capacity than some of the half ton trucks making it to the dealer lots. That is no joke but but I do find that funny.

I'm not sure the history but it would be fun to see a graph showing each manufacturer with its payload over the past 20 years. Most all have improved with each new version but for some reason Ram went backwards with the last version or two. That is what upsets many as well as myself because I like the Interior, styling and powertrains in the ram better than the rest but find it unusable for my family to pull my boat or camper along with my family.

A smart car has as much payload as some Rams.

/ EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage #47  
My 1997 Volvo V90 has a curb weight of 3536# and a GVWR of 4630#. That gives me a payload of 1094#. This, I can (legally) carry more cargo (by weight) in my 17 year old station wagon than some of the new Ram 1/2 ton pickup trucks while getting 19MPG around town and 23-25MPG on the highway on regular unleaded...
:stirthepot:

Aaron Z

/ EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage #48  
My 1997 Volvo V90 has a curb weight of 3536# and a GVWR of 4630#. That gives me a payload of 1094#. This, I can (legally) carry more cargo (by weight) in my 17 year old station wagon than some of the new Ram 1/2 ton pickup trucks while getting 19MPG around town and 23-25MPG on the highway on regular unleaded...
:stirthepot:

Aaron Z

Cut the back portion of the roof off and you will have a 1/2 ton truck.

/ EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage #49  
Cut the back portion of the roof off and you will have a 1/2 ton truck.
Its been done, but I like my enclosed vehicle and don't like how most turn out. Things inside stay dry and mostly secure.

Aaron Z

/ EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage #50  

Imagine my surprise when I looked at the label in the driver's door jam on my wife's 2013 Equinox, it has a payload of just a few pound less than my RAM 1500.