Eureka Fluid Film

/ Eureka Fluid Film #61  
I bet Harbor Freight wouldn't have to get 9 bucks per can.:confused:

/ Eureka Fluid Film #63  
I really doubt enough would get past the seals to make a difference. ;)

This was my first response too when I read it but laying in bed last night for some reason it popped back into my mind. Soooo...... how about it from the main man? Will it mess with the seals over time (so slick that they don't seal as well maybe?), and the bit that gets through the seals, will it mess with the hyd-oil?

/ Eureka Fluid Film #64  
I'm testing FF penetrating ability now on a cat converter I have in the garage. I have found exhaust and brake components to be some of the toughest for penetration. The cat is from a 93 Topaz and has a exhaust clamp on one end which is what I sprayed with FF. I sprayed it tonight and will spray it again tomorrow, I plan to try breaking it loose on Friday. That may seem like allot of time for the product to have a chance to work but I was working on changing the serpentine belt on my F150 along with the idler pulleys and soaked both of them with PB blaster and deep creep. The idler came loose just fine but the pulley on the tensioner still will not come off. I've heated it with a torch and used an impact wrench on it and still no dice. I have a new tensioner so I can replace the whole unit and then I will try loosening that pulley again.

FF ability to wick and spread on metal has been most impressive. We are now in the middle of a nor'easter so I will have to wait until saturday and see how my test barrel looks. I sprayed a single 1X1 spot and it has spread beyond 9 inches horizontally. The FF has wicked upward aproximately 3 inches. I've been most impressed this time around, I think I was not liberal enough when applying the product in my previous testing.

/ Eureka Fluid Film
This was my first response too when I read it but laying in bed last night for some reason it popped back into my mind. Soooo...... how about it from the main man? Will it mess with the seals over time (so slick that they don't seal as well maybe?), and the bit that gets through the seals, will it mess with the hyd-oil?

I had to get a tech opinion on this. Here it is.

A) Will not effect the seals. Fluid Film itself is probably no slicker than the oil behind the seal. It's just not petroleum based. Fluid Film is not known to have any significant effect on rubber.

B) If some were to get beyond the seal, it would certainly be an insignificant amount. And even if a more substantial amount were to mix with the oil, there is no known negative issues.

/ Eureka Fluid Film
I'm testing FF penetrating ability now on a cat converter I have in the garage.
FF ability to wick and spread on metal has been most impressive. We are now in the middle of a nor'easter so I will have to wait until saturday and see how my test barrel looks. I sprayed a single 1X1 spot and it has spread beyond 9 inches horizontally. The FF has wicked upward aproximately 3 inches. I've been most impressed this time around, I think I was not liberal enough when applying the product in my previous testing.

Jim,
Let us know the results when you find out. Fluid Film has a tremendous ability to migrate quite a distance.

/ Eureka Fluid Film #67  
Bob,
You don't happen to know whats going on with Camden Sales do you? I tried to get 1 aerosol can from them before I ordered my kit and all they had was a couple gallons. Called them this morning and they don't have any Fluid Film on hand. I'd have to drive to Hertford NC, Edonton NC or Norfolk Va which is over 50 miles one way and without knowing what they had on hand I simply would not go. All I am after is another aerosol and a brush can. I've been using the aerosol that came with kit #2 quite a bit. I used it when I changed the battery in my F150 and to help weather proof my wiring. Its been working so far the flooding in the area has been fairly deep and I have not had any electrical problems. I do wish they could but it in a can that will spray at any angle.

John Deere Dealer - CAMDEN SALES & SERVICES INC. CAMDEN, NC

/ Eureka Fluid Film #69  
Stay dry Jim. Fluid Film is on the way. :)

Thanks Bob,

After 3.5 days of constant driven rain we finally started drying out on Sunday. I did find time to check the penetrating ability of FF on Saturday. The last spray I gave the exhaust clamp was on friday. On saturday I took a wrench to the clamp and both nuts broke loose easily. I was actually interested in seeing if FF had penetrated the threads under the nuts and to FF credit it was wet all the way allong the threads.

My test barrel has shown me that FF needs time and temperature. When it was near freezing at night I observed little to no growth to the application site. The temp has actually risen and held in the 60's and 70's and the area seems to grow each day. If it was summer I think it would have A) grown much faster and B) become much bigger then it is now. I'm going to run a similar test on the same barrel in the summer time to see if this holds true. I have a bunch of plastic and metal barrels so 1 more year before this one sees a fire.

Bob I know fluid film will not conduct electricity when applied to cables and terminals. I was wondering what effect it would have when applied to alternators and generator power heads? I have a portable generator that is going to be sheltered as much as possible but I would like to coat the whole unit in FF to cut down on corrosion while it sits idle for months at a time.

/ Eureka Fluid Film #70  
I moved my test barrel to my garage so I could take a couple quick pics of it. Originally I thought the test site was 1X1 it was closer to a 2X2 circle. I'll be honest I was excited it was a new can of FF and I was a bit to close when I applied it. The FF has migrated to 7 inches side to side horizontally and 8 inches top to bottom vertically. The vertical expansion from the top of the spot appears to be around 2.5 to 3 inches. Its a little hard to tell now as my original application site is fading as the product spreads. I took 1 with a flash and 1 without for comparison. Its important to note that this is after the barrel sat outside for 3 days of 60mph wind gusts and driven rain. Link below to images from a local TV station showing what the weather was like.

Nor'easter Storm Coverage for Hampton Roads Virginia and North Carolina | WAVY.com

I also took 2 similar shots of the deck from my Z445. Its only 2 years old and honestly I am very surprised by the level of corrosion I found once I cleaned it of all its build up. This deck has a washout port that I use after every mow but there is still a bit of build up as the season progresses. I removed the deck pulled the belt and blades, then pressure washed the entire unit spending most of my time on the bottom of the deck. These are from tonight, I had applied FF to the deck yesterday once the deck had dried in the sun. My garage smelled like a little slice of heaven to me.

Attachments

• 16 Nov 2009 014.jpg
    16 Nov 2009 014.jpg
    759.8 KB · Views: 529
  • 16 Nov 2009 015.jpg
    16 Nov 2009 015.jpg
    438.9 KB · Views: 276
  • 16 Nov 2009 016.jpg
    16 Nov 2009 016.jpg
    572.7 KB · Views: 974
  • 16 Nov 2009 017.jpg
    16 Nov 2009 017.jpg