Flail Mower flail mowers-how are they holding up?

/ flail mowers-how are they holding up? #31  
bandit67 said:
Are the Caroni gearboxes loud? I've been told they make a ton of noise compared with the cheap chinese units and the expensive US-made units.

I think that is baloney. No one has ever complained about the Caroni gearbox noise. Sounds to me like a competing dealership is trying to manufacture an issue. My Caroni flail is quieter than my Woods brush bull by a long shot.

/ flail mowers-how are they holding up? #32  
I was pleasantly surprised at how quiet my Caroni TM1900 is. Whatever noise there is seems to come from the rotor spinning.

/ flail mowers-how are they holding up? #33  
No noise from my caroni gear box. Only issue was the original belts were poor. Gates replacements have held up well.

/ flail mowers-how are they holding up? #34  
No noise from my caroni gear box. Only issue was the original belts were poor. Gates replacements have held up well.

x2 on the belts. My originals lasted almost two seasons but the Gates are still going. Trivial repair once you've demystified it. Makes sense to have an extra set on hand to avoid delays but it only takes twenty minutes to switch them.

/ flail mowers-how are they holding up? #35  
Well, that's good to know.

This Italian would rather have the Caroni. Just need to decide if I can justify spending an extra $480 (freight charges) to get the Italian unit from the east coast over the Chinese unit from the west coast.

/ flail mowers-how are they holding up? #36  
Well, that's good to know.

This Italian would rather have the Caroni. Just need to decide if I can justify spending an extra $480 (freight charges) to get the Italian unit from the east coast over the Chinese unit from the west coast.

That is pricey but frankly only about $200-250 more than what it costs to have it delivered on the East Coast. Not chump change but a 10% premium for an established high quality brand seems worth it to me. The Chinese mowers are fine but there is not nearly the track record on the distributor/importer as there is with Caroni. Caroni is an Italian equivalent to Woods/Landpride/Rhino etc. The Chinese mower may or may not be in that league but we won't know for a decade or two.

/ flail mowers-how are they holding up? #37  
Im pleased with the caroni, but have found it light duty and pretty much beat it up in 6 hours - crushed the rear roller on a little stump. Behind a b3030.

Agri supply stood behind it beautifully. I have it at a welder for some bracing ideas that I had.

Net net, I like it, works well, is quiet to my mind. Light duty. B3030 runs it without a problem, seems very undemanding on pto. Nice cut, but bush hog better for forestry clearing. I used it to clear stuff my brother let go for 8 years, and it got the job done, but beat it up.

Much better than bush hog for mowing grass or meadow.

Pics of mods and more to come at some point

/ flail mowers-how are they holding up? #39  
Is that white stuff on the rotor and flails paint or a rust inhibitor? I just got in a 1900 and wondering if that will come right off. I will be mowing horse pastures and i dont want to leave behind anything toxic.

/ flail mowers-how are they holding up? #40  
PioneerMan said:
Is that white stuff on the rotor and flails paint or a rust inhibitor? I just got in a 1900 and wondering if that will come right off. I will be mowing horse pastures and i dont want to leave behind anything toxic.

I don't recall any white stuff on my TM1900. Why not mow somewhere non critical for ten minutes as that should remove it.