Food in bed

/ Food in bed #11  
When I was a kid, I heard of warming a brick and wrapping it in a towel or blanket to warm the foot of the bed. I never did that myself, but I had a baby blanket and I'd hold it in front of the heater in the living room to warm it real good, then run in the bedroom, jump in that cold bed, and wrap that little blanket around my feet. Our kids and grandkids would have no idea what it is to sleep in a house without central heat on all night, but I was more than 20 years old before I ever slept in a house that had any heat on at all at night. In fact, we kept the doors closed and didn't even heat the bedrooms in the daytime.

Bird my wife swears that the water in her bedside water glass would ice up overnight in winter. It was a two story house with no heat upstairs, probably no insulation either.
Dave.

/ Food in bed #12  
Dave, that's not surprising at all. My little goldfish bowl froze my goldfish one night.

/ Food in bed #13  
Dave, that's not surprising at all. My little goldfish bowl froze my goldfish one night.

Awwww :(

She brings it up now and then just to impress me with how deprived she was as a child.
Dave.

/ Food in bed #14  
Have you heard of the theory of relative deprivation?:D It's not so much how rich or poor you are, as it is what you expect, or what you know others have. When we had to go 50 yards out back to the outhouse, draw water from a well with a rope and bucket, take baths in an ordinary round galvanized wash tub in the middle of the kitchen floor with water heated on the cookstove, we didn't know we were poor; thought that kind of life was normal.:D But I'm sure glad we're not still living that way.

/ Food in bed #15  
Bird,

It's all relative..I'll bet you have really fond memories of those "inconveniences".

I had a few, but nothing like that...I'd go back in a minute.

/ Food in bed #16  
Have you heard of the theory of relative deprivation?:D It's not so much how rich or poor you are, as it is what you expect, or what you know others have. When we had to go 50 yards out back to the outhouse, draw water from a well with a rope and bucket, take baths in an ordinary round galvanized wash tub in the middle of the kitchen floor with water heated on the cookstove, we didn't know we were poor; thought that kind of life was normal.:D But I'm sure glad we're not still living that way.

I've done everyone of those things, Bird. I also slept in a bedroom with no heat and warmed a bath towel to put down by my feet when I went to bed. It was also about 200' to a railroad track. Why this house was ever built there, I'll never know. At night, many times freight trains would have to stop on the tracks in front of the house. This wouldn't even wake me up, but when they started up and the slack started to be taken up between cars, it sounded like something was coming right through the house, and I'd wake up terrified.

The hardest thing I ever did was to crawl under the house and wrap the pipes with newspaper. I knew it wouldn't stop the pipes from freezing and I'd have to get rid of the soggy mess before wrapping the pipe in tire inner tube and putting a hose clamp around it later after it froze.:confused3:

/ Food in bed
Yes Bird, I used hot brick in my life:) - at home we had hot water bottles like this one only it was red rubber. It was great for belly aches. Nowadays I use a back of seeds - not sure what seeds, wife got it from someoned - two minutes in microwave and it heats up nicely. Perfect for sore muscles, necks and backs.

And it brought memories how hard was it to get out of bed in winter morning when the room was so cold one could not stand still:D

/ Food in bed #18  
Jim, I was 16 when we moved to Plano, TX, and Dad bought the big old 2 story house at 1202 Ave. K, right next to the railroad tracks. Avenue K was also U.S. Hwy 75 back then before Central Expressway was built out that far. So I know what you're talking about. After awhile, you don't even notice the sounds of the trains or the motor vehicle traffic except when it drowned out the sound on the TV.:D Of course that house has been gone a long time now and a pawn shop sits on that property.

And Prokop, I think when I was a kid, everyone had a red rubber hot water bottle, but I didn't want it in my bed because I was always afraid of a possible leak.:D

/ Food in bed #19  
I think I'll keep my 96 degree water bed. :thumbsup:

We had cousins in Cincinnati that lived across the street from the B&O railroad. The trains would come roaring through every 10-15 minutes. We couldn't stand it and asked how they could live like that? They said they got used to it. :shocked:

We lived on the approach to the airport. Several times a day and night planes would come over one right after the other to make their connections. My cousins couldn't stand it and asked us how we could live like that? We got used to it! :laughing:

Currently, we live 1/4 mile from the airport and 1/4 mile from the railroad tracks. We got used to it! :D

As for food in bed... no eating in the bedrooms! :cool:

As for keeping a casserole warm... we never had to do that. If we heat something up in the oven early in the day and shut the oven off, it will stay warm in there for many hours after. If we want it hotter, we scoop out a serving sized portion and nuke it! :licking:

/ Food in bed #20  
Dagnabbed but some of you folks was lucky having a bed. Some of us had to use a pile of straw and a blanket!:D