Food in bed

/ Food in bed #32  
Speaking of bed warmers. Dad of my friend was a pyrotechnician in Czechoslovakia after WWII. He spent 3 years cleaning up the area of Dukla Pass. The war left there tons of explosives of any kind. And also people living in the middle of what was once a battlefield. There was an old shepherd who used german teller mine - anti tank - as bed warmer. It has this handy handle and he always heated it up on the stove and put it in his bed to keep him warm during the night. Well they took the mine away but that shepherd was really ticked off - he had to sleep in cold bed:D:D

Prokop, Hope that mine was not live :eek:

Thanks for that link, I've been to Dukla (Poland) in 1991 and never realized that such a decisive battle took place there. Was at the war museum but didn't know why it was there.
Dukla is also known for early oil discovery and a saint.
Patron Saints Index: Saint John of Dukla

My wife is from Poland, her sister still lives in Krosno which is just to the North.

I have been to your Motherland as well in 1996, just over the border in the Tatra mountains, beautiful place :)

Tatra Mountains - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

JB.

/ Food in bed #33  
Well, we liked to call them that. :laughing:

Probably feed sacks. :D

Back to food in bed, I've never heard of that either. It sounds un-American, where would our cats sleep? :laughing: I have a mental picture of a lump in the bed with a cat curled up on it enjoying the warmth.

I've seen some military surplus double wall insulated boxes for keeping food warm that work pretty well.
Dave.

/ Food in bed #35  
The wife's aunt and uncle paid us a visit some years back during the summer. They're from Connecticut just over the boarder from White Plains, NY about and hour and a half or so away. She arrived at our place with a coleman cooler stuffed with a turkey. Just before leaving Connecticut and some time before it was due to be fully cooked, she pulled the turkey out of the oven and still in its roasting bag, wrapped it in foil then newspaper then stuffed it into that coleman cooler.

We had supper out on the deck that day. The wife made cole slaw and potato salad ....etc..etc and we had that steaming hot turkey. Wow...was that a tasty trick. :licking:

Last edited:
   / Food in bed
Yes keegs, cooler would be more up to date to use to keep food warm and i don't doubt it would work just as well - it's just my mom used the pillows and it never occurred to me to look for another solution:)

/ Food in bed #37  
Yes keegs, cooler would be more up to date to use to keep food warm and i don't doubt it would work just as well - it's just my mom used the pillows and it never occurred to me to look for another solution:)

Probably more common in Europe than here. My wife's aunt (the one who brought the turkey in the cooler) and she both emigrated from Scandinavia. The wife remembers back home as a child slow cooking the rice pudding (Christmas pudding) wrapped in a comforter.

/ Food in bed #38  
A COLD WINTER ~~"WOW"~!! ....now this has been quite an interesting thread I must say! Brought back a few memories of my own childhood, (and a few later on).. including that dreaded midnight walk out to the privy and sitting on the frosty seat!!!

Over the years I have created a warm and comfortable home out of this 154 year old stone farmhouse,.. lots of insulation now and modern conveniences but I'll never trade my big old cast iron (1923) wood cookstove, even though my wife likes her electric range. (But never complains about "my" grub!)

Food tastes better on the woodstove and people love to gather round the old kitchen for the good times. We only used the hot bricks the first couple winters (before the hydro was adequate for elect. blankets and waterbed heaters), when we'd come down in the morning to find a 3 foot snow drift across the kitchen floor,.. caused by very tiny venturied holes in the 2 foot thick stone walls. Tooo cold to get up,.. tooo cold to stay in, (understandable why those pioneer families had so many kids!!!)(Even the once hot bricks were cold by mornin!!)

Tore out the lath and plaster, mortar-parged up the stone, insulated and drywalled to return it to its original 1856 look,... only much warmer!! Put the fancy 2 ft. high baseboards back etc. Tore out all the rusty old stove pipe that snaked its dangerous way from room to room enroute to the 3 chimnies.

Anyway Prokop,...really didn't mean to hijack your dear mother's casserole, but I can say from experience,.. it would certainly have served its dual purpose in keeping both the bed AND the food nice and warm !! Thus I give you Bob Hope's Blessing when I say "Thanks for the memories"!!! (As usual I apologize for "rambling").

Stay warm out there all you tractor-lovers!
CHEERS!
. . tug

PS : .....I do believe my grandmother in the cold Ontario north (Haileybury) used to do the same with casseroles. Thinking back, probably the best "insulation" for the purpose would have been blankets and quilts burried deep under pillows with a big old mattress for the base to keep it warm for supper. I don't think she had an overhead "warming-oven" on her cookstove like I do today,... which is real handy,.. especially for rising bread dough and keeping plates hot etc !

Last edited:
   / Food in bed #39  
I am just amazed reading this thread.

While we always had blankets my mom never wrapped any food in them, or put it in the bed. Probably would have said it was unsanitary.

OTOH, she was widely known amongst all relatives for her strong belief that a potato baked in 20 minutes at 350 degrees (they are as hard as rocks at that point).

/ Food in bed #40  
I am just amazed reading this thread.

While we always had blankets my mom never wrapped any food in them, or put it in the bed. Probably would have said it was unsanitary.

OTOH, she was widely known amongst all relatives for her strong belief that a potato baked in 20 minutes at 350 degrees (they are as hard as rocks at that point).

LOL on the 20 min potato. Reminds me of the time my sister made me some beef short ribs by putting them under the oven broiler for about 5 mins.

If you like baked potatoes, the best way I have found to get consistent results is to put them in the microwave. Ours will do 4 medium potatoes in about 12 minutes. Once you find the timing for your MW, it will turn out nice potatoes everytime. I stab the taters all around with a paring knife before cooking them bare on the revolving platter.
Dave.