Food in bed

/ Food in bed #21  
We had cousins in Cincinnati that lived across the street from the B&O railroad

You don't hear of the B&O (Baltimore & Ohio) railroad much anymore, but I had an uncle who was "Chief Clerk to the Superintendent for All Lines" in Baltimore in the early '40s. I inherited his gold Hamilton watch and quite a number of interesting documents which I later donated to the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Museum. I'd sure like to get up there and see that museum, but probably never will.

/ Food in bed #22  
Have you heard of the theory of relative deprivation?:D It's not so much how rich or poor you are, as it is what you expect, or what you know others have. When we had to go 50 yards out back to the outhouse, draw water from a well with a rope and bucket, take baths in an ordinary round galvanized wash tub in the middle of the kitchen floor with water heated on the cookstove, we didn't know we were poor; thought that kind of life was normal.:D But I'm sure glad we're not still living that way.

My wife's family got indoor plumbing when she was 17 years old. Until then, it was pretty much like you described. They did have a well hand pump, no buckets down the well. She is NOT nostalgic for the old days :p Doesn't even like to go camping. I tried hard to talk her into a wood cookstove, she said help yourself - just tell me where my stove will be :D
Dave.

/ Food in bed #24  
Now there's a job title! :)

Yep, and "clerk" apparently meant something different from what we think of today. He was one of the higher up, high pay fellows. He was rejected for military service because of heart trouble, so he was active in the civil defense organization, but died of a heart attack on July 8, 1944, when he was in his early 40s.

/ Food in bed #25  
You don't hear of the B&O (Baltimore & Ohio) railroad much anymore, but I had an uncle who was "Chief Clerk to the Superintendent for All Lines" in Baltimore in the early '40s. I inherited his gold Hamilton watch and quite a number of interesting documents which I later donated to the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Museum. I'd sure like to get up there and see that museum, but probably never will.

If you do you can stay here, not that far away.

/ Food in bed #28  
I know alot of times winter camping in tents I would take my metal canteens and fill with hot water and shove in socks and then into sleeping bag. At least you got a couple hrs of z's B4 the teeth started chattering.

/ Food in bed #29  
Dagnabbed but some of you folks was lucky having a bed. Some of us had to use a pile of straw and a blanket!:D

You had a blanket?!!!!!