Garage--barn--shelter--building built my way

/ Garage--barn--shelter--building built my way #31  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I used to be able to take the heat and ask for more )</font>

If you think it takes you out now, just wait a few more years until you get to be my age. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I'm only good for 3 to 4 hours at a time now-a-days.

/ Garage--barn--shelter--building built my way #32  
Harv,

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifDang man, stay up wind to that green smoke!!!!!

That is looking real fine!!

BTW, just returned from your site and a way long read on that TEXAS sized gate. That is totaly awsome sir!!

Would you mind if I added a link on my "Old Welders" site to you?

/ Garage--barn--shelter--building built my way #33  
Harv,

Got to hand it to you again. You've gone and buit a $50K barn and only charged $12K. What are we going to do with youuuu?

I've been on you for near on 15 years about this stuff. And, you still don't listen. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

That's ok, you enjoy yourself while doing it and, that's what counts. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

RonC.

/ Garage--barn--shelter--building built my way
I'm glad you like the gate. It was fun to build and install.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Would you mind if I added a link on my "Old Welders" site to you? )</font>

I don't have a problem with that at all. Leo is the webmaster and it would probably be best if you checked with him. That way he can link to you too. You'll like Leo. He's an even older weldor. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

On the galvanized, I learned welding up chainlink gate frames. That's sixteen gauge galvanized pipe with an old stick welding machine. It had no fine tune so invariably it was either too hot or too cold. We used sixty eleven three thirty two and learned to run hot and fast. The fumes can make you sick. But I learned early to have ventilation or pay the price. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Garage--barn--shelter--building built my way #35  
/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gifWill do Harv.
Thank you.

/ Garage--barn--shelter--building built my way #36  
Harv,

Are the purlins and the roof frame some sort of c section ?

Some years ago i built a skillion roofed farm shelter using exhaust pipe laminated together
For memory there was 5 pipes together and they span about 24ft as roof beams

The reason i used them was because i got 1/2 a ton of it real cheap,

Laminated together like this make unbeleivably stong beams

Attachments

• 499203-skillion shed.jpg
    499203-skillion shed.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 739
   / Garage--barn--shelter--building built my way #37  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The posts are regular old galvanized schedule forty two inch (2 3/8") pipe. )</font>

Schedule forty. I've seen that term and bought some pipe of that dimension, but I've never understood the term.

What's the scoop on "schedule forty"? How thick is it: 1/8", 14ga???

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Garage--barn--shelter--building built my way #38  
phantom309,

I'm sorry this didn't scan better, but been in the top of my toolbox many, many moons.
If i can even get it on here.
Hope it helps.
This chart goes up to 24" pipe, but had to crop it a bunch to get it attached.
Sorry, I tried /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Attachments

• 499428-pipe-sch3.gif
    499428-pipe-sch3.gif
    90.2 KB · Views: 767
   / Garage--barn--shelter--building built my way #39  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( </font><font color="blueclass=small">( The posts are regular old galvanized schedule forty two inch (2 3/8") pipe. )</font>

Schedule forty. I've seen that term and bought some pipe of that dimension, but I've never understood the term.

What's the scoop on "schedule forty"? How thick is it: 1/8", 14ga???

)</font>
<font color="black">
The question I've always had: Why is water pipe sold in twenty- one foot lengths, but steel tubing comes as twenty?

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

</font>

/ Garage--barn--shelter--building built my way #40  
Ah. This makes it clear! So the thickness of schedule 40 varies with the diameter of the pipe. Cool.

Thanks for posting!!!