GC 2300 wont start

/ GC 2300 wont start #61  
Well I'm pretty certain that it was the PTO safety switch, I think it got wet the other day with the rain and then we got a severe cold snap. It got up to 34 today and it started right up after work. It spun over but only briefly, then I jiggled the PTO switch and she fired right up.
I was prepared to jump the starter but didn't need to. :)
I will keep an eye on it though.
Thanks,
dave

/ GC 2300 wont start #62  
Glad to hear it was so inexpensive a fix! That "rain followed by a cold snap" can really cause some weird (hard-to-track-down) problems.

irvingj

/ GC 2300 wont start #63  
I had an issue with my ign sw and took it apart to find rust and corrosion inside. Cleaned all up and has worked for a while now.

/ GC 2300 wont start #64  
I had a problem like that - bypassed the seat switch.

/ GC 2300 wont start #65  
I had the same issue and thought it was the starter. Logged in here and thanks to the posters discovered it was the ignition switch. Cleaned it up and now it works fine. Thanks for sharing all this great information! Although I always keep the key in it, the retaining ring was loose so there wasn't a good seal. I'm thinking that's how the water got into the ignition. I posted a couple of pics of my ignition switch.

Attachments

• 20140304_190717.jpg
    20140304_190717.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 225
  • 20140304_190646.jpg
    20140304_190646.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 238
   / GC 2300 wont start #66  
Thanks to you too, Artman for the photo's.

Can anyone who has had a wire break off the ignition switch tell us now that we have photos, which one it was?

/ GC 2300 wont start #67  
Whaddya mean, corrosion? (What's that green stuff?)

/ GC 2300 wont start #68  
Looks more like patina. :thumbsup:

/ GC 2300 wont start #69  
Patina.. yeah

Seriously, thanks for the pics, artman. Good shots of what to look for. (So far I've been lucky, I guess.)

Ray, did somebody say they found a way to take those switches apart, or do they just have to be replaced?

irvingj

/ GC 2300 wont start #70  
I remember someone taking theirs apart.

I probably would try.

I am hoping to find out which wire breaks off, and see if I can take the strain off of it.