GC2410tlb throttle cable frozen

/ GC2410tlb throttle cable frozen #1  

CasperMe

Tractor
2006 MF 1540; 1986 JD445 mower/blower; 2012 Mule 4010
Purchased GC2410tlb new in November. It was stored outside (like at the dealership) for a couple weeks and since has stayed inside unheated garage. Only use has been in moving a couple buckets of wood every week or so, otherwise it grazes in the garage. Snowblowing I do with my JD 316 for now. So the first cold spell in December I think it was, I go to start the beast and the throttle won't move. Easily traced the issue to the vinyl sheathed cable that connects to the throttle lever from just behind the dash (see pic 1) sweeping down under the engine, then up on the other side where it mounts near the injector (pic 2). Initial call to the dealership was told to just warm it up (takes 40-60 min to thaw). Today on my second call they said they'd order a replacement cable and call me back when it comes in. Expect that'll take care of immediate problem.

My question is, "Has anybody else experienced this problem?" I'm just concerned that it might reoccur. Thoughts??? Lemme have em!! :)

Attachments

• Throttle Cable behind dash.JPG
    Throttle Cable behind dash.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 557
  • Throttle at Engine.JPG
    Throttle at Engine.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 536
   / GC2410tlb throttle cable frozen #2  
Ive had a few of the 1500 series do that. I took them off and sprayed a penetrating oil down the sheath and worked the cable back and forth. It has worked so far. You might try this a few times a year just to keep the crud out of the line.

/ GC2410tlb throttle cable frozen #3  
I just got a GC2600 earlier this month, the throttle froze a couple times so far on very cold mornings (single digits or less). It freed up within 5 or 10 minutes each time which is how long I let it warm up for anyway. The dealer said they would take care of it if it continues to be a problem. I assumed it was just a fact of life in the colder weather. Now I make sure the throttle is set to around 1500 rpm so that if its frozen when I start it it won't be at idle.

/ GC2410tlb throttle cable frozen #4  
For the record, I have a 2005, always stored in an unheated building, and my throttle cable has never frozen.

/ GC2410tlb throttle cable frozen
I just got a GC2600 earlier this month, the throttle froze a couple times so far on very cold mornings (single digits or less). It freed up within 5 or 10 minutes each time which is how long I let it warm up for anyway. The dealer said they would take care of it if it continues to be a problem. I assumed it was just a fact of life in the colder weather. Now I make sure the throttle is set to around 1500 rpm so that if its frozen when I start it it won't be at idle.
Thanks for response. I grew up on a farm with tractors, but in those days the throttle "cable" was a rod. The design on this GC2410 cable looks sensible enough even with the dip down under the engine it really doesn't seem to invite seepage... even has rubber grommets protecting the ends of the sheathing. IrvingJ had suggested there might have been something like a power wash involved but the dealership says they wash by hand. I guess if the hood were raised, and a hose pointed at the wrong spot, then it might push water into the cable under the right circumstances.

/ GC2410tlb throttle cable frozen #6  
Maybe a "new improved" cable design on the 2400/2600 tractors? I've never had a problem with my 2310, either (2007 year).

Incidentally, it was CasperMe that shared an off-base house with me in Japan while we were both in the Army back in the early 70s. We've been pals ever since.

Welcome to TBN, Casper! (Notice what color tractor he bought??:laughing::laughing:)

/ GC2410tlb throttle cable frozen #8  
hey casper, welcome to the party:thumbsup:

/ GC2410tlb throttle cable frozen
Thanks for all the sharing everybody... & irvingj. I'll update what the dealership has to say after they've looked it over in a few days.

/ GC2410tlb throttle cable frozen #10  
Maybe a "new improved" cable design on the 2400/2600 tractors? I've never had a problem with my 2310, either (2007 year).

My 2310 has never frozen either. Must be the new improved version they're having trouble with.