GC2410tlb throttle cable frozen

/ GC2410tlb throttle cable frozen
I'm sure there's a thread somewhere, the guys on here talk about everything. If you want to have a look at it, come on over. It'll have to wait til spring, though. It's tucked away and snowed in.
Ha! I didn't even notice your location... I'm in Leeds, just up the street. If I can remember :) I'll private message you in a couple months and make arrangements for a visit. Would love to see one of these things all setup. Got a bunch of tops to chip. Just hate burning stuff when the chips are so useful especially with new home plans.

The Frozen Throttle Cable was replaced by my dealer Waterman's Farm Machinery, Sabattus, Me, last week. They took the tractor to their shop to give the matter a thorough review. Their mechanic said that only one other unit had reported this problem. Waterman's also replaced one radiator hose as they said that certain S/N machines had a problem with a cable tie being secured too tightly around the hose which would lead to hose failure. (Sorry, I didn't get a pic of that). Weather's still cold and the cable is working fine now.

Believe I've identified the source of the problem with moisture entering the Throttle Cable. In first pic note the rather large opening around the Throttle Lever, and in second pic the vertical orientation of the cable. It looks like water could easily track down the lever, through the hole in the housing, then travel across to the top end of the cable. A simple grommet in the housing, or hump in the horizontal shaft (hidden in pics) would probably interrupt water intrusion.

Are there any Massey reps in this forum?

Attachments

• Throttle Lever.jpg
    Throttle Lever.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 254
  • Top End Throttle Cable.jpg
    Top End Throttle Cable.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 259
   / GC2410tlb throttle cable frozen #25  
Hmmmm.... mine has the same sort of set-up, but I did notice that the little rubber grommet stayed put as I moved the throttle in and out; it looks like yours has lifted up a bit....

And on mine, there seems to be a good physical gap between where the throttle lever goes in through the side of the panel and the cable itself; are the newer ones maybe a bit "closer" in that regard?...:confused:

Attachments

• throttle cable, top.JPG
    throttle cable, top.JPG
    154 KB · Views: 203
I see what you're looking at there at the top end of the cable casing... I just pressed that back down. Seems to be staying. Maybe the dealer didn't seat that completely, but I doubt that would affect water getting in. Over time the center hole on that rubber probably stretches quite a bit. As far as the lever shaft goes, it looks to be close to 4" from wall to the cable linkage. Perhaps I could install a grommet or something on the shaft that would unload water before it gets to the linkage.

Last edited:
   / GC2410tlb throttle cable frozen #27  
Perhaps I could install a grommet or something on the shaft that would unload water before it gets to the linkage.

Good idea. Maybe something as simple as a zip tie around the horizontal part of the shaft? The water should drip there instead of just running beyond and causing mayhem.

Ooooh, I like that :) Tanx

/ GC2410tlb throttle cable frozen #29  
Old post, but I experienced the same issue with my GC2600. Dealer stores these things outside. First cold snap and the throttle was frozen. Dealer told me the same thing about using a blow dryer and I told them it takes too long to do this, so they ordered a new cable and had it delivered to me. Cable arrived yesterday and will probably change it today or this weekend since it should be warmer. Last night though I had to clear snow and it took nearly an hour to free up the cable to the point I could throttle up. It still wouldn't throttle down, but that wasn't stopping me so I got it to the RPM I wanted and ran with that until it decided to thaw enough to throttle down.

I looked at the new cable this morning and what they should do with these cables since much of the length of it isn't close enough to the engine to get much heat through the cable is to put a nylon or Teflon coating on the cable itself similar to what is done with the better motorcycle and snowmobile cables. This would probably remedy the issue for good.

I'm thinking of pushing as much white lith through the cable sleeve as I can before I put the new cable on.

/ GC2410tlb throttle cable frozen #30  
Grease is not usually the answer in real low temps, unless you have some Lubriplate.

I would use dry graphite powder.